Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:18 PM

23 posts, read 35,376 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on doing a midlife career change from education to publishing, and I just wanted to hear people's experiences - the good, bad and ugly (which I know is the pay mostly). I'm leaning towards books, but I may have a contact at a prestigious magazine publisher so that's also an option.

Any advice you have (and what I've heard most is network, network, network so duly noted) is appreciated. Things you wish you'd known before you got in the business would also be helpful and what specific job you have or had and the pros and cons of that position.

I considered adding this to the employment forum, but I really only want to hear from tri-state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 05:24 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Not exactly sure what you want to know. What kind of career/work are you envisioning? Editors usually started as editorial assistants, and editorial assistants are usually in their 20s.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:37 PM

I would like to hear from folks who work in publishing specifically. I want to know which position they hold and their likes and dislikes about it.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:42 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calitonyc View Post
I would like to hear from folks who work in publishing specifically. I want to know which position they hold and their likes and dislikes about it.

Excuse me, but what difference does it make? If someone tells you that they work in the legal department of Simon & Schuster, will you go out and study publishing law? If someone tells you they work in the travel department of Time, how will that help you? I doubt you want to function as a travel agent.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:55 PM

So I take it you are not in publishing and are not interested in being helpful. I'd love to hear from others who are actually in publishing, and I'm over responding to this type of conversation. Feel free to continue, but I'm not being pulled into a weird debate.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:06 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
I'm planning on doing a midlife career change from education to publishing, and I just wanted to hear people's experiences - the good, bad and ugly (which I know is the pay mostly). I'm leaning towards books, but I may have a contact at a prestigious magazine publisher so that's also an option.

Any advice you have (and what I've heard most is network, network, network so duly noted) is appreciated. Things you wish you'd known before you got in the business would also be helpful and what specific job you have or had and the pros and cons of that position.

I considered adding this to the employment forum, but I really only want to hear from tri-state.
Consider placing your query in the "Work and Employment" forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/

It will receive a wider viewing audience and thus hopefully responses more to what you are seeking.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:18 PM

Thanks BugsyPal. I see what you are saying, but I just wanted responses from folks in the New York area for now. Appreciate the kindness though.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:27 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Thanks BugsyPal. I see what you are saying, but I just wanted responses from folks in the New York area for now. Appreciate the kindness though.
Well for one thing just because someone works in that field and the headquarters is in NYC does not mean they live here. There is New Jersey, Westchester, Long Island to consider for a start. Also those "in the past" employees you are seeking may very well have joined others in moving/retiring to other areas outside of NYC.

But it is your post and query to manage as you see fit.

Good luck.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:30 PM

Very good point. If I don't get much response, I'll take it over there.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:26 PM

251 posts, read 341,712 times
I used to work in consumer magazines. Cida's question is very relevant. What aspect of publishing do you want to work in? Editing? Production? Advertising? Digital?

Both book and magazine industries have been on a serious decline over the past decade. Pay is low and competition is fierce, especially for editorial based roles. Many former editors from magazines that have downsized or closed have switched careers or are working in other sectors (corporate communications for example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: