Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 11:50 AM

174 posts, read 591,061 times

Advertisements

We're driving up from Philadelphia, with a destination of Plainview on Long Island. On the way, which is a Saturday, we'd like to visit the city and see the 9/11 memorial. From what I understand, it isn't a good idea to drive into the city and hassle the traffic and parking. So, I'm trying to find the best place to park and take a bus, train, or whatever in.

Older messages indicate parking in/near Journal Square in Jersey City and taking the PATH is a good option. Journal Square looks like it's not far off our route, which is on 95. Question for the board, is this still a good plan of action or has anything changed? Would a different location be better (safer, easier, etc.)?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 02:58 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,703,261 times
maybe you could find a hotel in Long island city in queens, then take the subway to the sites you mentioned.
return to the hotel and you will be out of the "city"(Manhattan) and will battle less traffic when you leave from li city out to plainview

i don't know the hotels in li city but there are a few there

Old 09-29-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
maybe you could find a hotel in Long island city in queens, then take the subway to the sites you mentioned.
return to the hotel and you will be out of the "city"(Manhattan) and will battle less traffic when you leave from li city out to plainview

i don't know the hotels in li city but there are a few there
Thanks. We're already booked in Plainview. We just wanted to stop by for the day, on the way.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:11 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,211,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
We're driving up from Philadelphia, with a destination of Plainview on Long Island. On the way, which is a Saturday, we'd like to visit the city and see the 9/11 memorial. From what I understand, it isn't a good idea to drive into the city and hassle the traffic and parking. So, I'm trying to find the best place to park and take a bus, train, or whatever in.

Older messages indicate parking in/near Journal Square in Jersey City and taking the PATH is a good option. Journal Square looks like it's not far off our route, which is on 95. Question for the board, is this still a good plan of action or has anything changed? Would a different location be better (safer, easier, etc.)?

Thanks for any help.
That is going to be along trip. Parking in NJ then going into city..then back to NJ to get car and drive to Plainview on LI. That is kind of crazy. How long are you staying in Plainview. I ask this because it will better help me give you the best advice. If staying on LI for a while you can always take LIRR (Long Island Railroad) into the city leaving car at hotel. Maybe hotel has shuttle to take you to Train station or you can take cab..or just drive 7 park at LIRR lot.

Might be worth the hassle being that it is a Saturday to just drive in park in a lot, then head out of city to your destination on LI. IMHO I truly believe that is much easier than parking in NJ...then heading back to NJ to drive to LI!

Old 09-29-2014, 10:48 PM

575 posts, read 673,058 times
My recommendation would be to take the 278 into Brooklyn, and free park under the 278, at the intersection of Union and Meeker. Walk 2 blocks, under 100 yards, south on Union, go east/left, under 100 yards, on Metropolitan, to the Lorimer station for the L train. Take the L toward Manhattan. There is one more stop before the East River, Bedford Avenue, then the 3rd stop after Bedford is 14th St/Union Square. Transfer to the 4 or 5 Downtown and get off at Fulton Street and the 9/11 Memorial is pretty much right there. Fulton is the 2nd stop on weekdays but runs local on weekends. We have parked here many times with zero problems. You can Google Map this stuff as this is the short version. With Street View you can see the parking area under the highway.

www.911Memorial.org

Enjoy. My guess is the subway from Lorimer to the Memorial on a Saturday should be 25 minutes or so.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the responses. After further thought, and Loribell's input, we've decided to get to Long Island first and take the train in from there, since we'll be in Plainview for a few days.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:55 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,211,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Thanks for the responses. After further thought, and Loribell's input, we've decided to get to Long Island first and take the train in from there, since we'll be in Plainview for a few days.
Great choice. Glad I can help. This way will make trip less stressful & you can enjoy it.

Have fun & enjoy your stay in the area.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 AM

41 posts, read 197,769 times
I would drive to Bethpage LI which borders Plainview LI and take the Long Island Railroad to Penn Station (near 34 Street in Manhattan) from the Bethpage Station. You can park on the street easily in Bethpage. Then when you come back on the train, your car is right there and you are only 10-15 minutes from Plainview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: