Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 08:25 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxyDude View Post
They are in fact tearing down industrial buildings, and former 1 or 2 level retail/commercial buildings. Tenement buildings are being rehabbed/gutted, and certainly not torn down in Harlem. The only place you are seeing walk-ups/tenements occasionally torn down is south of 96th street when developers buyup a row of them to make way for a new luxury commercial or residential tower. Harlem's tenements are going nowhere...simply being renovated/gutted.
Exactly.

And in fact, only those formerly industrial buildings that are no longer viable - CU building zone excepted here - are being torn down.

The Taystee site would have seen little demolition I think had the buildings been viable. They were not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 09:30 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I haven't been to Harlem in years, but the PJs (can't speak for the tenements) aren't going away and they serve as an affluence "checks and balances" IMO. Lenox Avenue isn't going to become Park Avenue in the near future because you have some affluent people snapping up housing. Same thing with all of the other gentrified areas...

Old 10-01-2014, 09:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I haven't been to Harlem in years, but the PJs (can't speak for the tenements) aren't going away and they serve as an affluence "checks and balances" IMO. Lenox Avenue isn't going to become Park Avenue in the near future because you have some affluent people snapping up housing. Same thing with all of the other gentrified areas...
People always forget that there are plenty of projects in Manhattan South of 96th Street. Upper West Side, Upper East Side/Yorkville, Chelsea, Lower East Side all have projects and it did not stop extremely expensive housing nearby.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
In addition, and more difficult, is the fact that many of the tenement buildings are currently social-service housing. They were probably there years ago, when you did visit Harlem, they remain and will most likely remain for some time. People are making a lot of money with such endeavors, so-called nonprofits actually organized along the lines of predatory investment.

They are far less visible to the casual eye than the projects, at the same time that many real anti-socials occupy them - often sources for a lot of the quality-of-life problems.

These exist in many Manhattan neighborhoods but not to the extent that they exist in Harlem.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
They are in fact tearing down industrial buildings, and former 1 or 2 level retail/commercial buildings. Tenement buildings are being rehabbed/gutted, and certainly not torn down in Harlem. The only place you are seeing walk-ups/tenements occasionally torn down is south of 96th street when developers buyup a row of them to make way for a new luxury commercial or residential tower. Harlem's tenements are going nowhere...simply being renovated/gutted.
North of 96th Street, you have expensive luxury housing that has been built in recent years on Lexington Avenue between 96th and 97th, and on the West Side of Lexington between 97th and 98th. Pretty close to the projects.

101 and 3rd Avenue has some expensive housing that has replaced tenements.

Along 8th Avenue on the West Side around 110-125th Street many tenements were torn down years ago and replaced by luxury housing. Pretty close to projects.

Yes, there are many gut renovations as well (particularly on the side streets) but many of the major avenues are getting tear downs in places.

And actually a renovation/gutting means the residents of the tenements went SOMEWHERE.

104th Street between 3rd and 2nd Avenue on NYCHA land private housing is being built by a developer (for a tax credit of course). They are starting to lease out the NYCHA land.

Between 103rd and 104th Street on Lexington a new building (luxury housing) replaced torn down tenements and it has a Super Emporium at the bottom (grocery store).

So if anyone wants to see these buildings, I've given you the blocks.

I know people on here like to downplay gentrification out of fears that they'll be priced out and because clearly they can't afford these "bad" neighborhoods. But it's happening. Ah well, isn't denial a river in Egypt?

Anyone who is capable of google can also check out the sale of the Pathmark site to a major developer (125th and Lexington) and the construction of the whole foods site on 125th Street.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, there are many gut renovations as well (particularly on the side streets) but many of the major avenues are getting tear downs in places.
Again. Where, EXACTLY, are these mythic tear-downs on "the major avenues" ?
"In places" ? What places ? Do provide at least one example.

I have seen few demolition permits and I am involved in some of these meetings. Demolition requires permitting, by the way, a lengthy and tiresome process, and I would be happy to look askance at any "tear-downs" taking place without permits.

But I guess we are all just "jealous," dreading gentrification and all.
As opposed to being in command of a set of facts.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:12 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
In addition, and more difficult, is the fact that many of the tenement buildings are currently social-service housing. They were probably there years ago, when you did visit Harlem, they remain and will most likely remain for some time. People are making a lot of money with such endeavors, so-called nonprofits actually organized along the lines of predatory investment.

They are far less visible to the casual eye than the projects, at the same time that many real anti-socials occupy them - often sources for a lot of the quality-of-life problems.

These exist in many Manhattan neighborhoods but not to the extent that they exist in Harlem.
In many ways, Harlem and the Bronx are sisters. Both had/have to deal with "progressive" governments shoveling social service and other subsidized housing at a far greater number than other boroughs/neighborhoods (the rationale "we don't want to saturate mid and lower manhattan with projects every ten blocks, so why not Harlem? It probably helps the residents since they're no longer living in tenements!") . Couple that with sub-par amenities for years and letting areas decay and voila. Same with the Bronx, the borough itself actually has "good bones" and can easily support the middle class, but thanks to the again "progressive" leadership and poverty pimps, much of the borough is dogged by public housing, crime, etc. Makes me think on what you said about non-profits (and related "do gooder" agencies) getting some type of kick back/monetary benefit. I don't want to sound heartless or cruel, but enough is enough.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:51 AM

49 posts, read 49,028 times
I agree with that riaelise...and so does the community..and community board for example. Thankfully DeBlasio is listening and, for better or worse, will now be distributing shelters/supportive service buildings equitably across all communities...so look for those buildings coming to every community. CB#1, and CB#4 (Mott Haven and Concourse respectively) have the highest in the borough at 13 and 18, while there are 2 CBs which have zero...can you guess which they are? Riverdale and Morris Park (not sure which CBs they are). That is now changing...everyone will be taking a hit, and the CBs with the lowest numbers will be inundated.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Again. Where, EXACTLY, are these mythic tear-downs on "the major avenues" ?
"In places" ? What places ? Do provide at least one example.

I have seen few demolition permits and I am involved in some of these meetings. Demolition requires permitting, by the way, a lengthy and tiresome process, and I would be happy to look askance at any "tear-downs" taking place without permits.

But I guess we are all just "jealous," dreading gentrification and all.
As opposed to being in command of a set of facts.
I provided plenty of examples. Go there and see them for yourself, at the intersections I named. Come to think of it near the Manhattanville projects I see the expansion of Columbia University (and there were tear downs as well, this was awhile ago when Columbia started taking over that space). In addition to the specific blocks and areas I mentioned, which you'd know if you lived in Harlem.

You say you live in Harlem, so that's all you need. If you have seen neither tear downs nor gut renovations in Harlem it's because you don't live in Harlem!

Old 10-01-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I agree with that riaelise...and so does the community..and community board for example. Thankfully DeBlasio is listening and, for better or worse, will now be distributing shelters/supportive service buildings equitably across all communities...so look for those buildings coming to every community. CB#1, and CB#4 (Mott Haven and Concourse respectively) have the highest in the borough at 13 and 18, while there are 2 CBs which have zero...can you guess which they are? Riverdale and Morris Park (not sure which CBs they are). That is now changing...everyone will be taking a hit, and the CBs with the lowest numbers will be inundated.
East Elmhurst and Elmhurst now have shelters, and Glendale in Queens may get one too. Queens had a low percentage of supportive housing compared to upper Manhattan and the Bronx, but this is changing. There's a big homeless population in Elmhurst too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City