Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 11:03 AM

170 posts, read 315,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpscrossingsresident View Post
For those who moved in or who are moving in soon:

I've been in Crossings for a week and am realizing I need to sell some of my furniture since it does not work in the new space. I am looking to sell: Ikea MALM Black Queen Sized bed frame with 4 storage drawers (slats included)- $300 (paid $449 for all) MALM High bed frame/4 storage boxes - Queen, Lönset - IKEA

Ikea BRUSALI Brown Wardrobe Closet- $200 (paid over $300 at the time) BRUSALI Wardrobe with 3 doors - brown - IKEA

Kitchen Buffet Storage Table- $185 (paid $225)
Antique Buffet Cabinet Reclaimed Wood Storage Shelf Kitchen Dinning Room Stand - Sideboards & Buffets

Only been used a year and a half. Good/taken care of condition. Please let me know if you would be interested to come by, I am in the Crossings building. Only the bed frame will need to be assembled.

Thanks!
How are you liking it so far? Are the apartments as cramped as some are fearing?

Old 07-08-2015, 11:20 AM

136 posts, read 217,478 times
Default Hunter Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by croquemme View Post
How are you liking it so far? Are the apartments as cramped as some are fearing?
The one bedroom is more ideal for one person than 2, since with all the furniture, and clothing combined there is no space to move much. However, for the price of the apt, area, and view I think its more or less a good deal, if it wouldn't be for waiting that long to move in, resubmitting docs, and still waiting on lease.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 9,503 times
Quote:
I am in a studio and they smartly designed the apartments with a lot of storage.... it's just understanding your space and choosing a design that best fits your things. Overall, I am very happy there!

Old 07-08-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I am in a studio and they smartly designed the apartments with a lot of storage.... it's just understanding your space and choosing a design that best fits your things. Overall, I am very happy there!
Glad to hear it! And thanks for responding--it's always good to hear reports from the inside.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:48 AM

357 posts, read 656,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS4Life View Post
The anticipation is killing .... This is the worst waiting game ever... Has anyone had to requalify recently or before you moved in? If so, what did you have to do?
Not necessarily re-qualify but I did have to re-submit documents to prove I wasnt making the crazy high income they calculated.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtresko View Post
The one bedroom is more ideal for one person than 2, since with all the furniture, and clothing combined there is no space to move much. However, for the price of the apt, area, and view I think its more or less a good deal, if it wouldn't be for waiting that long to move in, resubmitting docs, and still waiting on lease.
Show me a middle-class person who can afford one of those one-bedrooms on their own, and I'll show you someone who's cheating on their taxes. My boyfriend and I will be splitting the rent on a one-bed, and it still feels like a lot!

Old 07-08-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
For those who moved in or who are moving in soon:

I've been in Crossings for a week and am realizing I need to sell some of my furniture since it does not work in the new space. I am looking to sell: Ikea MALM Black Queen Sized bed frame with 4 storage drawers (slats included)- $300 (paid $449 for all) MALM High bed frame/4 storage boxes - Queen, Lönset - IKEA

Ikea BRUSALI Brown Wardrobe Closet- $200 (paid over $300 at the time) BRUSALI Wardrobe with 3 doors - brown - IKEA

Kitchen Buffet Storage Table- $185 (paid $225)
Antique Buffet Cabinet Reclaimed Wood Storage Shelf Kitchen Dinning Room Stand - Sideboards & Buffets

Only been used a year and a half. Good/taken care of condition. Please let me know if you would be interested to come by, I am in the Crossings building. Only the bed frame will need to be assembled.

Thanks!
Thanks for sharing! Congrats on the new move.

I am coming from a low cost, spacey 2 bedroom in Brooklyn so getting things sold, donated and hauled away is my main task for the next few weeks.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:53 AM

136 posts, read 217,478 times
Default commons

Quote:
Show me a middle-class person who can afford one of those one-bedrooms on their own, and I'll show you someone who's cheating on their taxes. My boyfriend and I will be splitting the rent on a one-bed, and it still feels like a lot!

I fall under affordable bracket. I am not sure what your rent is, but the standard rates for one bedroom apt is high there.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtresko View Post
I fall under affordable bracket. I am not sure what your rent is, but the standard rates for one bedroom apt is high there.
We're in the top bracket, so $2509 split between the two people. On my own, I'd qualify for the middle bracket, but there's no way I'd be able to afford $2167 rent on my own; that's more than half my take-home pay. I don't know how HPS thinks one middle-income person could afford that.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Whoa!

I fall in the middle-income bracket on my own and I have never cheated on my taxes. Thankfully I no longer have student loans and keep my credit card balances low. The rent will be tight and I agree that it feels like a lot. But as others have pointed out its a pretty good deal for the area.

Truthfully, I had planned on moving from NY and purchasing a home elsewhere but it just doesnt feel like the right time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.