Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 05:40 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,716,629 times

Advertisements

I've been living in an 80/20 HPD apartment for several years.

I know if you make more money at a job they don't kick you out.

What if your income drops low like around $ 10-11,000 ??

Is there any danger that there is some technicality where you could get evicted
maybe some concept that you are living at an unlivable standard and should be in a shelter or something?

And what if you were fired from your job and had no unemployment benefits? Maybe you have a couple of thousand in savings and after that if you dont have a job, family helps you pay rent.
But during that time you might have no regular income

Are these situations going to cause them to ask you to do anything other than pay your rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 05:45 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,072,273 times
No,never heard of anything like that.I think as long as you pay the rent you'd be safe.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:54 PM

343 posts, read 1,092,693 times
They do recertifications every yr & the landlord reserves the right to not renew your lease after your initial lease is up. Usually the case is income increasing and that's typically ok they just increase your rent also. Income dropping is another story. but if you cannot prove, to their standards, that you can pay the rent I would think they would not renew your lease.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:58 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
"Low-income tenants are required to submit annually a certification of Annual Income and Household size to verify such tenant’s annual income. Low-income tenants can be denied a renewal lease or have their tenancy terminated for making a false or fraudulent certification with respect to Annual Income or Household size. Additionally, a low-income tenant’s tenancy may be terminated for failure to recertify their income. "

Real Estate Weekly » Blog Archive » Sorting through web of mixed income housing programs

Old 01-20-2014, 06:22 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,716,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
"Low-income tenants are required to submit annually a certification of Annual Income and Household size to verify such tenant’s annual income. Low-income tenants can be denied a renewal lease or have their tenancy terminated for making a false or fraudulent certification with respect to Annual Income or Household size. Additionally, a low-income tenant’s tenancy may be terminated for failure to recertify their income. "

Real Estate Weekly » Blog Archive » Sorting through web of mixed income housing programs
I just did a recertification in December. I got a letter just now saying recertification complete. They have a figure there from that time, I also see my bank account figure for then there. They want me to sign this and turn it into the office. There are several stages between paperwork, everything else was finished weeks ago. But I don't recall this type of form is one of the reglular ones. It seems to be a sign off on last years paperwork about income. I can see that annual income from last year is checkd off in a box that is not the lowest and the form seems to be more concerned with making above the limit (which his many times more)
That income figure is low but if you divide it by 12 I can still pay rent and bills. It works in theory, just barely
(but not necessarily in someone else's opinion)
However I've got nothing coming in now, nothing. I'm just worried they find out and make it an issue. I remember last year when I recertified and they saw I was unemployment benefits they asked some question about how much I thought I would make for the upcoming year. Hopefully I can just hand in this form and no more questions. I just hope that question doesn't come up.
Maybe this form is just a differnt form you get when having been on unemployment

Old 01-20-2014, 06:25 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,072,273 times
I still don't think they will make an issue about it unless you stop paying the rent.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:01 PM

10 posts, read 42,405 times
My mother's apt is up for recertification. She applied for the Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) Program few months back. How can that affect positive/negative the recertification outcome?. I am also on the lease as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: