Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:15 AM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Guess things are tough all over: More New Yorkers turning to the city for help to stay housed - am New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 12:54 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
It was sad to read about the NYPD officer who lived in Ina rented coop in Fordham but has has recently foreclosed and has to . On On his salary he does not qualify for any affordable housing even though he has a disabled wife and two kids. It really shows that being an average hard worker does not pay off to we'll in this city.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:34 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,598 times
The city is the biggest culprit as to why rents keep rising. The city keeps raising property taxes and water and sewage rates. The money has to come from somewhere. And that somewhere is tenants via rent increases. That simple.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:38 AM

298 posts, read 707,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
The city is the biggest culprit as to why rents keep rising. The city keeps raising property taxes and water and sewage rates. The money has to come from somewhere. And that somewhere is tenants via rent increases. That simple.
Where do you think that $170k salary for DeBlasio's hoodrat friends comes from?

Old 10-17-2014, 06:23 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I wouldn't say this is the biggest culprit by a long shot. I'd be willing to bet it's simply landlords raising rents because people will pay higher prices. Also, illegally and even legally deregulating units.

I'm surprised no one has come on this thread yet pronouncing that if we only end rent stabilization, everything will become more affordable.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:31 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I wouldn't say this is the biggest culprit by a long shot. I'd be willing to bet it's simply landlords raising rents because people will pay higher prices. Also, illegally and even legally deregulating units.
I would say that it is one of the bigger factors, pushing out smaller landlords. Ownership by all but the wealthy investment groups will soon become impossible.

In the bigger picture, this tendency fits with the "globalization" yahoo ...

Old 10-17-2014, 06:42 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:

I'm surprised no one has come on this thread yet pronouncing that if we only end rent stabilization, everything will become more affordable.
Boston ended rent stabilization, yet Boston remains one of the most expensive cities in the country.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:

I'm surprised no one has come on this thread yet pronouncing that if we only end

rent stabilization, everything will become more affordable.

Give it a couple minutes.

I'm surprised nobody has blamed the Ebola outbreak on Rent Stabilization.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:15 AM

624 posts, read 983,240 times
Buy while you still can. The city government might take measures to patch things temporarily but that's not going to stop the tsunami. If you want to live in NYC for a long time, buying is the best way to hedge against future rent increases putting you out on the street.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:31 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Give it a couple minutes.

I'm surprised nobody has blamed the Ebola outbreak on Rent Stabilization.

No need to. The Ebola outbreak was blamed on stop and frisk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: