Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 06:06 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
So I guess they will just fly into another international airport and take a domestic flight to NYC. This quarantine is pointless, unless it's done at every US airport.
The Governor of Illinois (where O'Hare airport is located) has also announced the same type of mandatory quarantine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 06:18 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
It's a shame the federal government fell short.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:14 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
Ok, so how is this going to work? Will they be making designated quarantined facilities or will the people be quarantined in their homes with their families, which would then expose the family members? Will they have cops standing outside of their apartment ensuring compliance? If they're taken into a designated facility, who is staffing them? Who will be volunteering for such a gig? Will everyone be kept separately because God forbid, you have it and I don't BUT I'm stuck in the same building. It's not as simple as mandating quarantines, there's so many things that has to be put in place.

What happens to the healthcare workers in NYC that are taking care of an Ebola patient, are they going to be forced to be quarantined too? Good luck getting staff to care for these patients if that's the case.
Exactly.The people taking care of Dr Spencer at Bellevue are taking the subway home every night . What's the difference between them and the health care workers coming back from Africa ? Wish a reporter had had the brains to ask Christie and Cuomo this at the press conference. Shows that the whole press conference was nothing more than political grandstanding.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:48 AM

250 posts, read 269,430 times
I'm not liking this. It feels forced and autocratic. This new guideline will discourage aid workers from volunteering. If the feds were to place such a guideline nationwide, it would hinder a lot of aid to those countries with Ebola. The cynic in me thinks was this more to do with political grandstanding than actual medical science.

This may backfire. A 21 day quarantine? For the entire portion of West Africa or just the three countries dealing with Ebola? Isn't that too excessive? And what if you don't have Ebola like symptoms? Like the nurse who was flown to Newark? You know, malaria can also cause fever and nausea. And where are they being held?

Did they consult the CDC, WHO, or their own city/state health officials before they issued this new guideline or was this something they agreed upon as a response to the public outcry? Again, there are so many questions that needs to be answered. Anything with Christie or Cuomo involved deserves some critical analysis as the two are known to move according to what direction their political compasses points too.

Last edited by belltolls; 10-25-2014 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-25-2014, 11:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
So I guess they will just fly into another international airport and take a domestic flight to NYC. This quarantine is pointless, unless it's done at every US airport.
It's political grandstanding. And you're right, they could just fly into another international airport and take a domestic flight to NYC.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Exactly.The people taking care of Dr Spencer at Bellevue are taking the subway home every night . What's the difference between them and the health care workers coming back from Africa ? Wish a reporter had had the brains to ask Christie and Cuomo this at the press conference. Shows that the whole press conference was nothing more than political grandstanding.
If they tried to force quarantine the doctors taking care of New Yorkers treated for Ebola, there's be a huge backlash as they cannot have untreated ebola victims walking around.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:59 AM

912 posts, read 1,132,268 times
Stupid politcal move done under pressure by the ignorant public and media. I wish ignorant fools, who know nothing of medicine, would stop overreacting and creating a panic. The same thing happened back in the 80's, with HIV. Stop trying to tell doctors how to do their jobs. Go to medical school first, educated yourself on the matter, and then try to impart some wisdom.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:46 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
This is absurd!!! I remember my friend who got sick coming from freaking TORONTO was quarantined for 3 weeks when he had fever (it was during the SARS outbreak). My gym teacher was quarantined for 2 weeks, I was in Mexico for 5 days and these people coming from trucking Ebola laden West Africa are walking around, riding the trains, bowling, and putting people in danger.

Whats going on here? Why didn't this jerk take safety precautions? I mean, I appreciate and feel what he did was honorable in West Africa but dude, seriously? I feel its more the governments fault though. Whether you are sick or not, if you're coming from West Africa, you should absolutely been quarantined for a specific amount of time at least.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:00 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
This is absurd!!! I remember my friend who got sick coming from freaking TORONTO was quarantined for 3 weeks when he had fever (it was during the SARS outbreak). My gym teacher was quarantined for 2 weeks, I was in Mexico for 5 days and these people coming from trucking Ebola laden West Africa are walking around, riding the trains, bowling, and putting people in danger.

Whats going on here? Why didn't this jerk take safety precautions? I mean, I appreciate and feel what he did was honorable in West Africa but dude, seriously? I feel its more the governments fault though. Whether you are sick or not, if you're coming from West Africa, you should absolutely been quarantined for a specific amount of time at least.
Let me put this in words you can understand. Ebola is not contagious until the person starts showing serious sysmptons, such as high fever. This "jerk" was monorting his symptoms daily. It was not until Thursday that he developed a temperature. Once he did develop a fever, he called Doctors without Borders who then got the CDC involved. All proper precautions were followed. It's the media and ill informed politicians and pundits who are spinning this out of control. Even dumbass Cuomo doesn't know what's going on. He is just reacting to media pressure. While I've been critical of some of DeBlaiso's actions since taking office, he at least seems to be handling this over blown crisis with a level head rather than reacting to the hysteria.

It events like this that makes me realize that the general public should be kept in the dark about many things. So many ignorant people are in hysterics over nothing.

Last edited by Astorian31; 10-25-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 10-25-2014, 02:16 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Let me put this in words you can understand. Ebola is not contagious until the person starts showing serious sysmptons, such as high fever. This "jerk" was monerting his symptoms daily. It was not until Thursday that he developed a temperature. Once he did develop a fever, he called Doctors without Borders who then got the CDC involved. All proper precautions were followed. It's the media and ill informed politicians and pundits who are spinning this out of control. Even dumbass Cuomo doesn't know what's going on. He is just reacting to media pressure. While I've been critical of some of DeBlaiso's actions since taking office, he at least seems to be handling this over blown crisis with a level head rather than reacting to the hysteria.

It events like this that makes me realize that the general public should be kept in the dark about many things. So many ignorant people are in hysterics over nothing.
/thread

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City