Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:34 AM

495 posts, read 610,868 times

Advertisements

The city with everything at your fingertips has spent years masking the impacts of the recession, but it has finally caught up.

10 years ago Manhattan was known overwhelmingly for "independent" storefronts. You would see little coffeeshops, retail stores, thousands of restaurants unique to NYC that reminded you right away you took that $7, I mean $10, I mean $13, I mean $14!!!! Tunnel or bridge to enter from Jersey

But now?
All those Coffeeshops are Starbucks
All those restaurants are clones of restsurants that were unique (I.e. Sarabeths Location 1, Sarabeths location 2....sarabeths location 10)
Apple Store, Apple Store, Apple store, Apple store
Trump tower, trump tower, trump tower

Cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs

Disney-owned Times Square

And for a final question....for the first time in 150 years, the answer to the question "where is the tastiest Jewish delicatessen located?

Answer is not NYC metro area any longer. Due to closures, answer is 3Gs located in South Florida
Last time it wasn't NYC it was somewhere in Europe before the Shoah

In summary, NYC is no longer a distinguished city. It's not as desireable anymore and given with all this the cost of entering is at $14 EZ pass toll and rising, the city is losing steam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 06:40 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,746 times
I say it started in 2001. It kills me when people move to here from wherever they are from cause they saw/heard what nyc was like in the 80's/90's/2000 and then complain slowly try to change it to the stuff they know where they come from.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:45 AM

495 posts, read 610,868 times
Now if we hadn't had a Republican mayor for so many years, my honest prediction is the city would be an even worse shape....

You would have close-downs and no CVS and Starbucks and Apple store or Disney store replacing the landscape...so instead you would have conspicuous appearances of a city slowly losing store after store

Bloomberg actually did the next best thing to save NYC by selling out to some of these chains to keep the city thriving however possible. But someone needs to make it more desireable for the family-run businesses that are growing in South Florida and elsewhere to give NYC another chance,

Because one NYC is EXACTLY the same as living in a convenience suburb, except for more stone buildings and 4 times the cost of living, the city will quickly look like Detroit.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:09 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
Now if we hadn't had a Republican mayor for so many years, my honest prediction is the city would be an even worse shape....

You would have close-downs and no CVS and Starbucks and Apple store or Disney store replacing the landscape...so instead you would have conspicuous appearances of a city slowly losing store after store

Bloomberg actually did the next best thing to save NYC by selling out to some of these chains to keep the city thriving however possible. But someone needs to make it more desireable for the family-run businesses that are growing in South Florida and elsewhere to give NYC another chance,

Because one NYC is EXACTLY the same as living in a convenience suburb, except for more stone buildings and 4 times the cost of living, the city will quickly look like Detroit.
Except there are no jobs in Florida or Detroit. Im talking about the real jobs that require at least a Bachelors degree. And the wages here are more reflecting the higher cost of livjng.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 AM

355 posts, read 390,578 times
Truly this is a sad fact. Mom/pops , local owned businesses and a diner with a home feeling are far and in between. Also look at the games kids played outside that was only in Ny. They are also long gone. Hay look on the bright side , at least NYC has high paying jobs vrs low paying rent-lol.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotstoboiledpenuts View Post
Truly this is a sad fact. Mom/pops , local owned businesses and a diner with a home feeling are far and in between. Also look at the games kids played outside that was only in Ny. They are also long gone. Hay look on the bright side , at least NYC has high paying jobs vrs low paying rent-lol.
I frankly don't care for mom and pop shops....where ever I can get what I want for less and thats usually at the chains. Mom and pop doesn't care if I have bills and a mortgage to pay for. And there are still plenty of mom and pop shops in the outer boroughs. A lot of general statements made by OP that really speak for Manhattan.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:32 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,437 times
It's true that chain stores have proliferated across the city. However, a chain store is still better than a burned out storefront which is the other direction the city was headed in before the turn around.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:33 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
The city with everything at your fingertips has spent years masking the impacts of the recession, but it has finally caught up.

10 years ago Manhattan was known overwhelmingly for "independent" storefronts. You would see little coffeeshops, retail stores, thousands of restaurants unique to NYC that reminded you right away you took that $7, I mean $10, I mean $13, I mean $14!!!! Tunnel or bridge to enter from Jersey

But now?
All those Coffeeshops are Starbucks
All those restaurants are clones of restsurants that were unique (I.e. Sarabeths Location 1, Sarabeths location 2....sarabeths location 10)
Apple Store, Apple Store, Apple store, Apple store
Trump tower, trump tower, trump tower

Cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs, cvs

Disney-owned Times Square

And for a final question....for the first time in 150 years, the answer to the question "where is the tastiest Jewish delicatessen located?

Answer is not NYC metro area any longer. Due to closures, answer is 3Gs located in South Florida
Last time it wasn't NYC it was somewhere in Europe before the Shoah

In summary, NYC is no longer a distinguished city. It's not as desireable anymore and given with all this the cost of entering is at $14 EZ pass toll and rising, the city is losing steam
I don't exactly agree with your assessment that NYC is no longer unique. It is still quite unique although there are more chain restaurants and stores here than in the past.

As for the tastiest kosher deli, I would vote for Ben's Best in Queens!

Old 12-08-2014, 07:41 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,037 times
This thread should be titled: Manhattan has lost it's uniqueness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
I frankly don't care for mom and pop shops....where ever I can get what I want for less and thats usually at the chains. Mom and pop doesn't care if I have bills and a mortgage to pay for. And there are still plenty of mom and pop shops in the outer boroughs. A lot of general statements made by OP that really speak for Manhattan.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't exactly agree with your assessment that NYC is no longer unique. It is still quite unique although there are more chain restaurants and stores here than in the past.

As for the tastiest kosher deli, I would vote for Ben's Best in Queens!
Katz in Manhattan as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City