Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 08:25 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBXTRUCHO View Post
This is true. That's why I'm a BIG supporter of residential segregation.
True. I live in a predominately Polish neighborhood (not Polish myself but can pass for it) and they prefer to keep it that way and I don't blame them. I speak to several neighbors and landlords and they all say the same thing. "The neighborhood is nice, clean and quiet and we want to keep it that way. They have never flat out said it but I know for a fact that many of them refuse to rent to blacks or Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 08:59 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
True. I live in a predominately Polish neighborhood (not Polish myself but can pass for it) and they prefer to keep it that way and I don't blame them. I speak to several neighbors and landlords and they all say the same thing. "The neighborhood is nice, clean and quiet and we want to keep it that way. They have never flat out said it but I know for a fact that many of them refuse to rent to blacks or Spanish.
The Poles must have replaced some other group when they started moving in there. That's how NY works.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,752,106 times
Welcome to NY.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:47 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
boo hoo hoo!

Old 01-14-2015, 04:50 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
What neighborhood are you in? I'm in Ridgewood myself and we had a similar issue with Polish when they first began to move into the neighborhood in big numbers where they would have their R.S. agents harass Hispanic home owners to sell their properties and would then strictly sell to their own... Thankfully, while that sentiment is still in place to a certain extent, things have calmed down considerably now that the neighborhood is a lot safer and cleaner than it used to be...

Also in regards to the statement in bold... I can understand that mindset as well to a certain point because unfortunately, in this city, all they've seen is the bad apples within those groups and how they live... That being said, the overwhelming majority of Hispanics and blacks that live in this neighborhood are blue collar working middle class folk just like them and it would be nice if there wasn't such open disdain for people outside of their culture or color of skin... I've known polish families in this neighborhood for over 20 years that still look at me and other Hispanics like we're the root of all evil... Prejudice is such an ugly thing and unfortunately on all sides it just seems to have reared it's ugly head in full force in recent years... To me, NYC 95-05 was the best in terms of overall QOL... Yea there was probably slightly more blue collar crimes back then than now but things were on the upswing, the job market was stable, the economy was in a great place and for a brief moment in time it just seemed like all groups got along better...

Nowadays, segregation is once again becoming all too common... You look at public schools nowadays... despite the fact that the white population is once again on the upswing, public schools continue to be dominated by black and Hispanics as white parents continue to pull their kids out of these schools and put them into private or charter schools... It's like a class segregation within the school system, whites and Asians on one side and blacks and Hispanics on the other... When I graduated HS my school was about 40% White, 40% Hispanic 15% Black and about 5% Asian... And all groups just seemed to be a lot more concerned with education that they do now. That same school when I last checked the demographics a couple of years ago is now about 80% Hispanic 10% white 5% black 5% Asian and at risk of being closed down... That's not by accident and it's a shame... Not having the diversity of students and levels of intellect in these public schools has severely crippled the public school system...

Sorry for going off topic, just had to rant a little...

Old 01-14-2015, 05:00 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Also @ the OP, stop complaining on this forum like a ***** and handle your business like a true New Yorker. You seem to be very sensitive on the topic of being a transplant (despite the fact that you're posts on this thread scream transplant)... Go up to the owners and confront them... Do it in a respectful but firm manner... Chances are, being that they've been there a heck of a lot longer than you have and you seem to be the only one that has a problem with it, they won't completely do away with it but if you show them you're not a complete pansy, and that you actually have some testosterone in that estrogen laden body of yours, you might be surprised at how they react...

Quick story I've mentioned on here before... We used to have neighbors that were late party animals in the early 90s. They'd blast music all the way from midnight on through the morning and sleep during the day... One day we're heading to church on a Sunday, put our speakers to face the floor and we cranked the Spanish music up to full blast as we left for the day... Needless to say that was the last time we had an issue...

Old 01-14-2015, 05:08 PM

31 posts, read 55,031 times
The OP of this thread is disgusting and a terrible person. YOU really need to go back to wherever the hell you came from because you only care about your own needs and have nothing but disrespect for your neighborhood's history. Don't just walk away--run away. QOL issues are unimportant, you're a pathetic gentrifier, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:17 PM

424 posts, read 594,058 times
I know which record store you're talking about, and believe me... You don't want to stir that pot. It's run by the Nation of Islam aka Louis Farrakhan supporters. Most of the time they're blaring some videos if Farrakhan preaching or whatever... Right?

If that's not what you're talking about, then I don't know where you could possibly be talking about... Cuz it's only that place and some store that sells kung fu DVDs or whatever but I don't think they play music... That I've noticed.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:26 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcommie View Post
Hi all,

I moved into an apartment on Nostrand avenue in Brooklyn about a year ago. It's directly above a kind of reggae store that sells records, and they place their goddamn speaker outside of the store, next to their entrance, and play loud music literally all day from 10AM until 8PM. I can hear it from my bedroom, which faces the avenue, and the living room. It wasn't much of a problem during the spring/summer/fall because a/c or fan would drown out the noise, but that's not possible during the winter.

I've tried to be civil and reason with them, I really have. I've asked them to turn it down, sometimes they turn it down a little bit, but not enough to simply be able to not hear it. And I would have to ask them to turn it down every day in order to get some peace. I'm a teacher and sometimes I work with students from home over skype and it's very, very distracting.

I've called 311, nothing really happens, even when I follow up. One response said that the police looked into it and took action to remedy the situation (bull****). Another said that they didn't find any violation (police probably drove by when they were closed). I've talked with the precinct directly and made noise complaints, and nothing really happens. I've gone into the store and tried to explain to them that it's against noise code policies and they don't care. They said they have a permit for it, and I asked to see the permit, but they wouldn't show it to me. I doubt they have one, and even if they do, there is no way it permits them to play loud music on the street all day.

I'm going into the local precinct on Monday to talk to community affairs, which is what they told me to do when I called the precinct. They were pretty helpful when I called, so I'm hoping going there in person and explaining the situation will get some results. They seemed to agree with me that it's against the law, and probably not permitted.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what to bring to the precinct when I go to community affairs, or how other ways I can legally going about this. My goal is to make them put the speaker inside the store like any normal business would. My landlord won't do anything, and when I google the address of the store I can't find a property owner to contact either. What are my options besides community affairs? I'm thinking of hiring a lawyer and delivering them a court order.
You get what you can afford. It's still the hood over there.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-14-2015, 06:38 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
What neighborhood are you in? I'm in Ridgewood myself and we had a similar issue with Polish when they first began to move into the neighborhood in big numbers where they would have their R.S. agents harass Hispanic home owners to sell their properties and would then strictly sell to their own... Thankfully, while that sentiment is still in place to a certain extent, things have calmed down considerably now that the neighborhood is a lot safer and cleaner than it used to be...

Also in regards to the statement in bold... I can understand that mindset as well to a certain point because unfortunately, in this city, all they've seen is the bad apples within those groups and how they live... That being said, the overwhelming majority of Hispanics and blacks that live in this neighborhood are blue collar working middle class folk just like them and it would be nice if there wasn't such open disdain for people outside of their culture or color of skin... I've known polish families in this neighborhood for over 20 years that still look at me and other Hispanics like we're the root of all evil... Prejudice is such an ugly thing and unfortunately on all sides it just seems to have reared it's ugly head in full force in recent years... To me, NYC 95-05 was the best in terms of overall QOL... Yea there was probably slightly more blue collar crimes back then than now but things were on the upswing, the job market was stable, the economy was in a great place and for a brief moment in time it just seemed like all groups got along better...

Nowadays, segregation is once again becoming all too common... You look at public schools nowadays... despite the fact that the white population is once again on the upswing, public schools continue to be dominated by black and Hispanics as white parents continue to pull their kids out of these schools and put them into private or charter schools... It's like a class segregation within the school system, whites and Asians on one side and blacks and Hispanics on the other... When I graduated HS my school was about 40% White, 40% Hispanic 15% Black and about 5% Asian... And all groups just seemed to be a lot more concerned with education that they do now. That same school when I last checked the demographics a couple of years ago is now about 80% Hispanic 10% white 5% black 5% Asian and at risk of being closed down... That's not by accident and it's a shame... Not having the diversity of students and levels of intellect in these public schools has severely crippled the public school system...

Sorry for going off topic, just had to rant a little...
Couldn't agree more. 95-05 was awesome (more 95 anyway), the city was moderately safe, there was a $3 movie theater in Hell's Kitchen. If you wanted to walk on the wild side you can go to the sketchy areas. There was something for everybody.

Regarding the self segregation I couldn't agree more. Even in the 80s it was like that in neighborhoods with lots of what liberals now call true "diversity". When white and Asians were minorities in schools they hung out amongst themselves. The white kids that are too pale were made fun of because they were too white and the Asians had fifty different racial slurs used to described them in both English and Spanish and were ripe for muggings and beatings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: