Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Indeed is the best one, I had s stretch where y phone would ring 3 times a day for interviews. I'm in a field that's in demand so that may be one reason but I've tried monster and career builder and Indeed seems to get the fastest results.
My only issue with indeed is they send you positions that was posted 48 hours ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 07:00 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
I like Indeed because it aggregates a lot of jobs, especially in my field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTelevisionWriter View Post
Applying for jobs online is an absolute waste of time. You need to be out there in person networking. It's the only way these days; HR departments are flooded with literally tens of thousands of online resumes for every job opening. Your chances of getting chosen for an interview are now about as good as winning the lottery.
Somehow I was hired by one of the largest employers in NY by some random HR person who found my resume that I had posted on Indeed. Didn't know anyone at the job, didn't know any HR people and they were impressed by me enough to hire me. It requires field specificity and licensure so I'm not working as a cashier, just to make that clear.

Also, once I was offered a job from this place, two other large employers contacted me right after, all via applications I submitted online without knowing anyone at the place.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:54 AM

664 posts, read 807,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I like Indeed because it aggregates a lot of jobs, especially in my field.

Somehow I was hired by one of the largest employers in NY by some random HR person who found my resume that I had posted on Indeed. Didn't know anyone at the job, didn't know any HR people and they were impressed by me enough to hire me. It requires field specificity and licensure so I'm not working as a cashier, just to make that clear.

Also, once I was offered a job from this place, two other large employers contacted me right after, all via applications I submitted online without knowing anyone at the place.
And quite a few people win the lottery.

Even more than once.

Point?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:18 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
And quite a few people win the lottery.

Even more than once.

Point?
Meaning there is no one way to do things. What is best for one person won't always be the best for the next person.

If someone got fired from their job today and immediately needed a new job, networking may not always be such a good idea. Networking is really more of a lifestyle thing, and it won't always be able to have an immediate impact on you.

Even if you do network, you'd be stupid to rely totally on networking when you need a job or money right away. You'd have to go to regular channels of employment, including applying directly with employers, going on sites like Indeed, etc.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:32 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Meaning there is no one way to do things. What is best for one person won't always be the best for the next person.

If someone got fired from their job today and immediately needed a new job, networking may not always be such a good idea. Networking is really more of a lifestyle thing, and it won't always be able to have an immediate impact on you.

Even if you do network, you'd be stupid to rely totally on networking when you need a job or money right away. You'd have to go to regular channels of employment, including applying directly with employers, going on sites like Indeed, etc.
I would add networking can be very superficial and discouraging due to how inefficient it can be sometimes. People in NY are very transparent in their mindset in which they only care to network with someone of power.

In addition due to the increase competitiveness of being in a big city it very easy for people to default to jealous tendency if someone else is doing better than them.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I would add networking can be very superficial and discouraging due to how inefficient it can be sometimes. People in NY are very transparent in their mindset in which they only care to network with someone of power.
That is not really "networking". That is just mooching.

Networking done correctly would never be construed as mooching.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Just like the lottery, I suppose: you have to play to win.

Still, your chances are far superior by talking to people you know -- or to whom you've been introduced -- inside of an organization rather than simply being an unknown Joe Schmoe knocking on the front (electronic) door.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Just like the lottery, I suppose: you have to play to win.

Still, your chances are far superior by talking to people you know -- or to whom you've been introduced -- inside of an organization rather than simply being an unknown Joe Schmoe knocking on the front (electronic) door.
Your chances are also better when you focus on job ads that only require you to email your resume directly to a certain person in the company. It's a quick process that will give someone a better chance of receiving a response versus completing a online application which takes forever.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:45 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I was seeking for outside the box suggestion in a forum with residents in the local job market. I get if you complain if I was a first time poster, but I also look to contribute back to the forum by sharing my knowledge in other threads too.
I wasn't complaining that you're a first-time poster. I was commenting that I'd get the impression you lack the basic initiative to get ahead in NYC. It's not just a matter of Google. There are articles all over the place comparing job websites - not to mention programs at the public library
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City