Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:43 AM

7 posts, read 18,078 times

Advertisements

Hi NYers! Dilemma I currently have that I'm hoping for some advice on since I have never been to NY. Me and my twin sister have booked a trip to the City for our 26th birthday and want to visit Yankee Stadium. I, of course, have heard all the bad things about the Bronx but am really unsure just how bad it is. It will be the weekend before the home opener so I wanted to do a tour and see the stadium that way, thought it'd be a once in a lifetime experience. Would you be hesitant to let your 26 year old sisters/daughters travel there during the day? We are from the southwest and I'm afraid we definitely will look like tourists lol. Any advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 10:54 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Try the New York City forum.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:00 AM

19 posts, read 19,625 times
Yes!!! Would be hesitant to venture too far from the stadium. Nothing to see there anyway. If you want to experience the city I would go to Manhattan and possibly northern Brooklyn. Good Luck!

Old 01-24-2015, 12:38 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
If you're touring on a bus, don't hesitate to see the Bronx. There's the world-famous zoo and botanical gardens, an interesting Little Italy on Arthur Avenue (Belmont area). NYC is generally safe, even in "bad" areas, as long as you don't do foolish things like flash your money or wander around in the middle of the night.

Go to the stadium and enjoy your home opener without worry.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:47 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,097,871 times
You should be OK. There's a subway station right at the stadium.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
As manekeniko notes, the Bronx has a lot to see and do, more so than SI or Queens. Definitely an overlooked borough.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:08 PM

275 posts, read 793,415 times
During the day, it's generally OK right around the Stadium. As long as you use common sense. If you are doing a Stadium tour, I might suggest that you purchase advance tickets on the NY Yankees website. The tour is not continuous. They sell tickets for specific times of the day. If you go to the ticket booth the day that you want to do the tour, you may be disappointed.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:26 AM

2,210 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyS89 View Post
Hi NYers! Dilemma I currently have that I'm hoping for some advice on since I have never been to NY. Me and my twin sister have booked a trip to the City for our 26th birthday and want to visit Yankee Stadium. I, of course, have heard all the bad things about the Bronx but am really unsure just how bad it is. It will be the weekend before the home opener so I wanted to do a tour and see the stadium that way, thought it'd be a once in a lifetime experience. Would you be hesitant to let your 26 year old sisters/daughters travel there during the day? We are from the southwest and I'm afraid we definitely will look like tourists lol. Any advice? Thanks!
There is NOTHING to worry about. You can safely walk around the area the stadium is in without concern for safety. It is no more dangerous than Times Square. I am there just about every day and night of my life. I am an attorney with a heavy caseload in the Bronx. I am there at 9 am and often as late as 9 pm. I go to many games, and have done the tour during the offseason with visiting friends. I would have no problem with a couple of 26 year old girls walking around the area.

The Stadium sits in a very nice area. To the south is a large mall at the old Bronx Terminal Market site. It has all sorts of major name brand stores, like Target, Home Depot, Marshalls, Best Buy and Bed Bath & Beyond. It is as safe as any Mall in NYC. To the east is Grand concourse and lots of major shopping, the Bronx courthouse and lots of apartments. To the west in the river and north is more residential housing. There was a time in the past 20 years when the area was completely unsafe, and that reputation will not die. It is now a major hub of the mid-Bronx with families out every day. There are banks across the street, fast food chains, diners and pubs all over the place. You will see homeless people in the parks and asking for change at the entrance to the subway and McDs, but you see this on Wall Street as well. While there are certainly areas within a mile walk that are less than ideal, you will have no reason to go anywhere near those areas if you are heading for a tour and to have lunch or shop in the many great Yankees stores around the stadium. It is as safe as you can be.

You can take the subway to the Stadium easily. Walk down the stairs and walk into the stadium. After the tour, walk around the corner to Stans and the other privately owned Yankees memorabilia shops for better deals than are in the stadium on shirts and such. Have a great time, and please feel safe. It is no where near the bad area that many say it is.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:24 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersun17 View Post
Yes!!! Would be hesitant to venture too far from the stadium. Nothing to see there anyway. If you want to experience the city I would go to Manhattan and possibly northern Brooklyn. Good Luck!
Yeah,
The highlights are Harlem Furniture and BJ's.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:16 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Was this information not enough?

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...e-stadium.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: