Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:39 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,662,529 times

Advertisements

Any way you do it, it doesn't sound easy or worthwhile. I guess you're best off renting or Zipcar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 08:33 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,784 times
I used to be a zipcar customer when I lived in Manhattan. Here is my critique.

Pros:
  • Rent by the hour, reserve online anytime
  • Price includes gas
  • Lots of different types of vehicles available for different needs. Rent a BMW for a fun weekend, get a minivan for a trip to IKEA.
  • The cars are located in garages all over Manhattan

Cons:
  • Weekend availability is tough. Reserve early and often. Part of the problem is that I think some people reserve cars whether they need them or not. You can cancel 24 hours in advance, so sometimes I'd see cars suddenly available on Thursday/Friday night.
  • Rates are higher on weekends
  • It always seems like you need the car more hours than you reserved it, or you are racing against the clock to get it back on time.
  • If you rent cars more than a few times a month, it starts to get very expensive - probably cheaper than your own car, though

Old 01-11-2008, 09:33 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,662,529 times
Thanks for the information Upstater.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:20 PM

35 posts, read 113,332 times
Good lord, why does anyone even have a car in NYC if you have to put up with all this crap???? seems totally nuts, am I right?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,365 times
No,

I have a car on the Upper West Side and I LOVE having it around. It's not a hassle for me at all...it's actually a convenience for me.

I can afford to keep it in the garage below my building and it's very continent. I can't imagine NOT having my car. I don't use it every day, but I love it. I usually walk or drive.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:23 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,589 times
I know someone whose car was broken into in broad daylight, smack-dab in front of the Carlyle Hotel (JFK's NYC pied-a-terre) a prime, gold coast location. Nothing guarantees the security of your car parked on the street.

I never enter sweepstakes that have one prize -- a car. I live on the UWS and can't imagine the nuisance of it all! Need a car? I can always rent, right?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:53 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperWestSide1 View Post
No,

I have a car on the Upper West Side and I LOVE having it around. It's not a hassle for me at all...it's actually a convenience for me.

I can afford to keep it in the garage below my building and it's very continent. I can't imagine NOT having my car. I don't use it every day, but I love it. I usually walk or drive.
It's nice that you have so much disposable income. I've figured that since I got rid of my car 10 years ago after living in Princeton for a year, I've save $100,000 between insurance, maintenance and parking. I look forward to an early retirement.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 AM

124 posts, read 440,582 times
The only reason we got a car when we lived in Brooklyn was because we had kids. It's really a hassle trying to take a newborn on the bus to a doctor's appointment, or to take a whining 5 year old to school on the subway. If we hadn't had children, we could have lived quite happily car-free.

Oh yes, cars do get broken into in broad daylight all the time. When I was a kid we had an Olds station wagon that we swore was cursed because it was stolen 3 times in broad daylight (and we got it back every time), broken into I don't know how many times and one of those times all of our school bags were stolen out of it (we laughed and celebrated with that one).

In short, insurance is expensive, parking is a pain and having it garaged can be like paying a second rent and you really do take your chances leaving it on the street. Unless you really REALLY need it, think twice about keeping it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City