Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:19 AM

17 posts, read 20,993 times

Advertisements

I've been in NY for 14 years; before that I was in Chicago for 7. I agree with others that NYC doesn't really have neighborhoods with Chicago-style vibes. Park Slope, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens...I have had moments in those neighborhoods, on the occasional weekday, when they reminded me a little bit of Lakeview or Lincoln Park. But not really.

A not-particularly-updated 3BR apartment in those neighborhoods is going to run over a million (and quite possibly entail a bidding war). A nicely updated 3BR will probably be closer to 2 million.

The real estate situation here is just nuts. We would move back to Chicago in a heartbeat, if we could only move my husband's job with us. We miss it a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 08:30 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norywinslow View Post
The real estate situation here is just nuts.
No truer words said. In order to upgrade to a 3br condo in my hood in brooklyn, its 2million minimum. I'm priced out so I have to "settle" for a million dollar house in the suburbs. And this million dollar house is modest, and is no mansion, despite having to pay over 10k in NYS Mansion tax.

It truly is nuts here.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:05 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf&Turf View Post
Just curious, in what way you're glad NYC doesn't feel like Chicago at all?
This is mostly due to my preferences, but in general Chicago doesn't have what I want and while every area has its negatives, Chicago's negatives annoyed me to insanity. I found what I wanted there was in suburbs, from raves in Rosemont and Naperville, Mitsuwa in Arlington Heights, a crazy bi-monthly 8p-4a party in Downers Grove, jobs that payed well in my career path, arcades in Bolingbrook, Brookfield, etc.

My Chicago life fell to only going to the city for Thanksgiving in Englewood, which is one of the worst ghettos I know of in the US, but it's where that half of my family lives. I went to Lakeview once more last year to take a girl out to the Music Box Theatre and it just felt like a college frat party. Not my cup of tea at all. My favorite part of the city was probably Edgewater, but to deal with dibs and a 2 hr rush hour commute again... ugh

To add that I can take weekend trips to the mountains in PA or Upstate/Vermont etc just adds to my love of the Northeast. I moved here for a year back in 2010-2011 not for the city, but I grew to really love being here so when I got my degree last May, I took the first opportunity to get out of Chicago (though Chicagoland at that point) for good and haven't looked back.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:29 AM

17 posts, read 20,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
No truer words said. In order to upgrade to a 3br condo in my hood in brooklyn, its 2million minimum. I'm priced out so I have to "settle" for a million dollar house in the suburbs. And this million dollar house is modest, and is no mansion, despite having to pay over 10k in NYS Mansion tax.

It truly is nuts here.
Yeah, it's crazy that if you want a decent amount of space in a nice (or even nice-ish) neighborhood in BK, you need $2mill to buy a fixer-upper! We are just starting to think about that million dollar house in the suburbs.

A little over a year ago we were looking at beautiful 4BR houses in Evanston, IL, walkable to shopping and el, for around $700,000, great schools, taxes in the $12,000 range...but now we're stuck here because of work. It still breaks my heart!

Old 02-26-2015, 11:00 AM

56 posts, read 69,042 times
Wow...even worse than I thought. How's the housing market on the other side of the Hudson (NJ)? Same craziness or a little better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: