Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:11 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
3 locks and huge bars on windows? You're describing NYC in the 90's in LES where I grew up, it's not like that anymore. I live on the 1st floor now with no bars at all, actually no one on the 1st floor has any bars and no robberies in all the time I've lived there.
I was actually describing an apartment building in Elmhurst, Queens along the way to forest hills. The couple who lives there invited us to a welcoming party. They pay significantly less in rent and have a month to month agreement so it not so bad. The inside of the apartment was spacious and they did a good job with the decorations of the apartment.

Quote:
There's nothing "luxurious" about most of these apts, that's just what the realtors/builders want you to think.

These days in NYC just about ANY new development is marketed as "luxury"... you know whats luxurious? Not having your bed right in the middle of your living room and having a proper office and dining area...lol

It's also well documented that many people that move in realize they never use the amenities like the gyms.
I think what people define luxury is very subjective. Even if the materials are fancy and cheap, why would you worry as a renter? It is the owner who should be concern that it will need to be replaced within a year.

In terms of luxury, I think it more than the room. Living in a luxury apartment is like living in a gated community surrounded by similar people in a safe and comfortable environment. You have staff of people who cater to you, networking opportunities, I can play music and TV as loud as I want 24/7, invite friends to use the amenities, etc...

Quote:
These seem like they should be in the 1,000-1200 range.
Way too low for a brand new apartment in Manhattan. $1K per room is available in the outer boroughs in pre-war building. $3K sounds like a lot, but I guess they are trying to limit the demand by capturing the high end of what someone might be willing to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 09:29 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I was actually describing an apartment building in Elmhurst, Queens along the way to forest hills. The couple who lives there invited us to a welcoming party. They pay significantly less in rent and have a month to month agreement so it not so bad. The inside of the apartment was spacious and they did a good job with the decorations of the apartment.

I think what people define luxury is very subjective. Even if the materials are fancy and cheap, why would you worry as a renter? It is the owner who should be concern that it will need to be replaced within a year.

In terms of luxury, I think it more than the room. Living in a luxury apartment is like living in a gated community surrounded by similar people in a safe and comfortable environment. You have staff of people who cater to you, networking opportunities, I can play music and TV as loud as I want 24/7, invite friends to use the amenities, etc...

Way too low for a brand new apartment in Manhattan. $1K per room is available in the outer boroughs in pre-war building. $3K sounds like a lot, but I guess they are trying to limit the demand by capturing the high end of what someone might be willing to pay.
Where in the outer boroughs? Price range widely, and depending on the apartment you could get rooms for $600 a month in parts of the outer boroughs.

Also you have a lot of rent stabilized tenants who overcharge for rent when they rent out apartments. Anyone who has been living in an apartment for a substantial length of time will be paying below the market rate.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:40 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Where in the outer boroughs? Price range widely, and depending on the apartment you could get rooms for $600 a month in parts of the outer boroughs.

Also you have a lot of rent stabilized tenants who overcharge for rent when they rent out apartments. Anyone who has been living in an apartment for a substantial length of time will be paying below the market rate.
$1K would be western queens (excluding LIC), under $1K eastern queens per room. I have heard of people getting under $1k in eastern Brooklyn but who knows now a days with how popular Brooklyn has become.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:11 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You mean zero rent, furnished room, free amenities, free utilities, free clothing, free health care and free food.
I always wondered why criminals never looked sad when going to prison

Old 03-01-2015, 05:38 AM

544 posts, read 1,238,126 times
already thinking about the noise factor smh

Old 03-01-2015, 08:56 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I always wondered why criminals never looked sad when going to prison
American imports so much China. We should import their prison system too. Forced hard labor for criminals.

Back to topic, the micro apartments in IKEA showroom look nice and comfortable to live.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:59 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
You could certainly find $1000 per room (or less) in parts of southern Brooklyn as well.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:23 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Story about:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1459066

Old 03-01-2015, 12:59 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
You could certainly find $1000 per room (or less) in parts of southern Brooklyn as well.
But according to the rent hikes in NYC it's not going to stay at a $1000 so someone maybe looking to leave after a couple of years anyway.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
You can find rooms for under 1000 in the Bronx and even upper Manhattan (particularly Upper Harlem, Inwood, and Washington Heights. And yes Eastern Brooklyn and South Brooklyn, along with Eastern Queens and Staten Island. Ooops, in large parts of NYC one can find a room for under 1000. Why do people insist on pretending the coolest neighborhoods are all that exist in NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City