Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 03:27 PM

140 posts, read 267,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
NE Bronx is mostly Jamaicans........mostly middle class folk although riff raff tends to hang out on gun hill, white plains rd and Boston Rd......I doubt its the type of area youd want to live in but just to give you more info.....also the 5 tends to be slow and unreliable in that part of town (unless theyve upgraded service in recent times)....
By NE I meant Throggs, Morris Park etc. don't think its Jamaicans over there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 04:02 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelReilly View Post
By NE I meant Throggs, Morris Park etc. don't think its Jamaicans over there..
Id consider Throgs Neck the far FAR east........Morris Park is more east central unless the South Bronx (Mott haven longwood morrisania) is your reference point......

Old 03-09-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Id consider Throgs Neck the far FAR east........Morris Park is more east central unless the South Bronx (Mott haven longwood morrisania) is your reference point......
Well yeah that's what I was considering my reference point lol

Old 03-09-2015, 04:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Thanks. I actually prefer an area I live to be a little boring and quiet my opinion is that if I want exciting I can go down to Chelsea or the village lol.

I hadn't heard that throggs neck has gone down. That's sad it was really nice only a couple of years ago when I was 16 my first girlfriend went to Preston Catholic High in that area by the water and I used to meet her after school.

The reason I said no riverdale is because the areas that are affordable are too close to kingsbridge for me! I really don't like that over there it's a bit too urban and it seems gritty

So country club is nice you say? I am going to look at Pelham bay as well.

About Morris Park, what exactly do you mean by "diversity"? I thought it was an Italian area..I know the area Morris park is big on a map but im talking about the little area by Jacobi medical center.

I'm also considering Yonkers and some of the cheaper southern westchester towns. I want somewhere safe and quiet with a family friendly feel as well. An Irish/Italian prescense is a big big plus as well. However I think it's importent to find an area that's stable also and not in the midst of going through "changes" like throggs because I saw it's demographics have completely flipped from 2000-2010 I'm looking to buy so that is important for me.
Morris Park isn't that much of an Italian area as it used to be. Plenty of Albanians, Serbs, Middle Easterners and even Filipinos live in the area now. Even in THrogs Neck and Country Club sections aren't that much of Italian area anymore however plenty of Puerto Ricans moved in but I assumed the Puerto Ricans were Italians, both sound alike in accent, looks and bravado. For an old school NYC type of feeling why don't you try Middletown Road section of the Bronx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I'm assuming you would be driving in to work, then. I drive in as well, and take the Cross Bronx to the West Side Highway (I work near Penn Station). Similar route to you, although depending on where on 11th, yours may be shorter. The commute is one of the reasons I am losing my mind...Takes me anywhere from an hour to 2 hours in the morning, and then the same home. Unfortunately, since PN/CC have limited public transportation options, and none of them are faster than driving, it's what I'm stuck with. Just something to consider tho.
Transporation from the Northeast Bronx into the city really sucks regardless of driving in or using mass transit. I hope the MTA can build those metro north stations Coop City, Morris Park, Parkchester so that it can ease the commute of residents who live in these areas. Also using the 6 train is just as horrible as taking the driving into city. The 6 train is horrible during the morning rush hour and the train crawls and slows down upon passing 138 3avenue.

Quote:
NE Bronx is mostly Jamaicans........mostly middle class folk although riff raff tends to hang out on gun hill, white plains rd and Boston Rd......I doubt its the type of area youd want to live in but just to give you more info.....also the 5 tends to be slow and unreliable in that part of town (unless theyve upgraded service in recent times)....
Jamaicans live north of Allerton or Burke Avenue. Williams bridge is kind of dangerous, even more dangerous than the South Bronx. Baychester area is the new Hunts Point filled with Prostitution.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:37 PM

503 posts, read 899,198 times
Quote:
Well I mean I live in Williamsburg and I wouldn't leave my door unlocked unless I was standing in front smoking a cigarette lol.

I asked a bunch of people and they're saying it's basically a quiet old school Italian area. What is going on over there?
I know generally the whole NE corner of the Bronx has gotten more Spanish than it used to be, but my impression was that it's more like Americanized Puerto Ricans looking for a nicer neighborhood...not gangster fresh off the boat Morrisania types.

As for everyone else..I don't really take public transport I have a car so that's not much of a concern, I'm looking to buy.

I saw a home for sale in my price range on Rhinelander Ave close to Williamsbridge Road..how is it over there?
I actually live just a couple of blocks from there. It's not a bad neighborhood at all. I feel totally safe and I've met some great people who genuinely care about the community. The demographic on home ownership in that area definitely leans more towards the elder side. It's quiet. It's safe. You should take a look around and see if it is what you want and if you actually like the vibe.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:14 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
If you're looking to buy, the city could be a better option, even with the income tax, because Westchester property taxes are high. And, it's not a question of a good school district and municipal services being an area where you will have high property taxes as there are some cities/towns that do not have great schools and city services that do not have correspondingly low property tax rates. Are you looking for a single-family home or a co-op/condo?

Riverdale is probably not a great option for a single-family unless you want to spend seven figures because North Riverdale streets are not as nice, and are closer to South Yonkers, which drives the neighborhood to a certain degree as it is not as posh as Central Riverdale, Fieldston, the estate area, etc. You could find a modest house in Pelham in the $500-$700k range for a single-family or a townhouse, but the taxes can be $15k+ easily. Parts of Yonkers are fine in which to buy a home, but the schools are not great, which can affect resale, though there are houses in Lawrence Park that are indistinguishable from neighboring Bronxville. Tarrytown might not be a bad place to look, since it has some affordable homes, the schools (important for resale in Westchester) are about average, and the commute is not bad. Neighboring Sleepy Hollow has always been more of a working class area, but there have been changes in recent years, such that it is an area on the upswing, other than Philipse Manor, which has always been a stable neighborhood. Too far from Tarrytown, however, and you are in a very suburban locale, which may not be what you are seeking.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-10-2015, 09:44 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,205 times
To the OP:

It's been mentioned by various others here already so I'm just being redundant, but you didn't mention WOODLAWN in your original posting. I keep hearing that Woodlawn is a rather well-established Irish stronghold in the northwestern Bronx that runs alongside the border with Westchester County (alongside Van Cortlandt Park and Woodlawn Cemetery).

Old 03-10-2015, 11:04 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-bronx-ny.html

Scroll down to my 2nd post, these are the Morris Park pictures. Taken last Summer [2014].
I've said this to you before (having seen the referenced set of photographs before) but I'll say it again:

I absolutely love, love, love, love, love your picture-taking seen over the great course of time on C-D. You give me a window on the world that I wouldn't or may not have otherwise at my avail (whether it be seeing views of Whitestone, Bayside, Bay Ridge, Pelham Pakrway/Morris Park, Manhattan or wherever else). You are such a very talented, gifted photographer.

If you had a whole website of your very own showing a continuous updated exhibition of geographic locale-specific photographs, I'd be consumed with it. It's like traveling the world through one's computer/laptop or tablet or smartphone screen.

The Pelham Pakrway/Morris Park neighborhoods seen here are very, very beautiful and desirable (my ideal kind of home area ambience). It's like you are in the suburbs yet situated within the city. And it is mass-transit accessible and has a Level I top-rated hospital within it.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
To the OP:

It's been mentioned by various others here already so I'm just being redundant, but you didn't mention WOODLAWN in your original posting. I keep hearing that Woodlawn is a rather well-established Irish stronghold in the northwestern Bronx that runs alongside the border with Westchester County (alongside Van Cortlandt Park and Woodlawn Cemetery).
See I like Woodlawn but I have looked and there is nothing for sale out there. I think they keep it in "the family" so to speak so it stays irish because the other irish areas like bainbridge have gone black/spanish

Old 03-10-2015, 11:45 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I've said this to you before (having seen the referenced set of photographs before) but I'll say it again:

I absolutely love, love, love, love, love your picture-taking seen over the great course of time on C-D. You give me a window on the world that I wouldn't or may not have otherwise at my avail (whether it be seeing views of Whitestone, Bayside, Bay Ridge, Pelham Pakrway/Morris Park, Manhattan or wherever else). You are such a very talented, gifted photographer.

If you had a whole website of your very own showing a continuous updated exhibition of geographic locale-specific photographs, I'd be consumed with it. It's like traveling the world through one's computer/laptop or tablet or smartphone screen.

The Pelham Pakrway/Morris Park neighborhoods seen here are very, very beautiful and desirable (my ideal kind of home area ambience). It's like you are in the suburbs yet situated within the city. And it is mass-transit accessible and has a Level I top-rated hospital within it.
Thanks

Once the weather gets better I'm definitely going to take more pictures. I have some pictures around my neighborhood when the blizzard hit last month that I have to upload. You should also check out mathjak107s pictures too, they're pretty amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City