Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 05:51 AM

6 posts, read 8,841 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving out of Brooklyn and starting anew in Staten Island. Don't hear much about the Graniteville section. Is it decent? I know Mariners Harbor area is a no, no but is Graniteville far enough away to consider a Condo there? Am I safe enough as long as it's below Forest Avenue? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 06:09 AM

140 posts, read 266,986 times
Graniteville IS only below forest avenue.

It's a mix of upwardly mobile blacks, some Spanish people and white trash.

Better than mariners harbor, and you won't get killed over there but it isn't particularly lovely.

Below the expressway is much nicer, in Bulls head (which still isn't THAT nice but it's liveable).

General rule is on SI..the farther south you are from the expressway and the further east you are (until you hit Hylan where it might get a little icky on the side closer to the water cause it's cheaper and has storm damage still) the nicer it is.

What's your ethnicity? And what are you trying to spend? Do you have children? Where do you work?

Old 03-09-2015, 06:20 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,365 times
Bullshead is not that nice? In what aspects? I grew up I'm bullshead for 26 years before moving to Woodrow, I cannot tell you a decernable difference in "niceness".

Old 03-09-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Bullshead is not that nice? In what aspects? I grew up I'm bullshead for 26 years before moving to Woodrow, I cannot tell you a decernable difference in "niceness".
Bulls Head isn't not nice. It's a solid working class neighborhood. The kind of people who lived in Bensonhurst 20 years ago. But personally I find the whole "victory blvd corridor" from the college all the way down (that's Bulls head right?) to just look dreary.

Woodrow is very nice. I like that part of staten island a lot I am looking at a townhouse in SE Annadale.

What I'm saying is generally Staten Island transitions from working class to upper class the farther south you go.

Graniteville is not a nice area and it will only get worse because of its proximity to the ghetto.

If you're not a person of color I would avoid anything above the expressway. You will not be comfortable.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:09 AM

Very interesting. I'm born in U.S. but ethnic background is Greek, Italian, Spanish (Barcelona, Spain). No kids. Work in Bay Ridge. So I guess I should be further down. Is Westerleigh the same deal?

Old 03-09-2015, 07:16 AM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Colt View Post
Very interesting. I'm born in U.S. but ethnic background is Greek, Italian, Spanish (Barcelona, Spain). No kids. Work in Bay Ridge. So I guess I should be further down. Is Westerleigh the same deal?
Westerleigh is very nice. Older homes and tree lined streets. One of the few areas to raise a family on the north shore of Staten Island. If you're familiar with bay ridge Staten Island is similar. Mostly native New Yorkers not very trendy.

I don't think there are many condos in Westerleigh tho, mostly single and 2 family homes. There might be some complexes near manor road but I don't think that's technically westerleigh

What are you looking for in a neighborhood?

If you work in Bay Ridge, you wanna stay close to Hylan Blvd above Richmond to catch the s79. The toll will kill you. The other bus that goes to Bay Ridge is the 53 and it mainly goes through bad areas

Old 03-09-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Yes I heard Bullshead is nice too. Looks like I'll have to do lots more reasearch.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:43 AM

432 posts, read 551,674 times
I agree with Michael Reilly, you want to be along the Hylan Blvd/SI Railway corridor.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:57 AM

278 posts, read 252,309 times
Don't listen to the poster who says that Graniteville is a bad area!
I bought a condo here six years ago, and couldn't be happier living here!

The area is a great mix of just about every ethnicity that exist, and all great working
professionals like myself, that got priced out of other areas. I have yet to see the
"white trash" that the other poster refers to! We do border Marinors Harbor, but that has
yet to be a problem for me! Why the area get a bad rap, I have no clue? Perhaps it's folks
that aren't confortable if they are not seeing 100% white faces all the time or perhaps, they are
South Shore
Rsidents from that side of the Island, they are always bashing, without having ever lived here, stepped
a foot here;etc. I've been a North Shore resident for over 18 years now, and would never consider living
anywhere else! Another bonus, you could really end up getting a great price on a nice place! I did, and
it was the best decision that I ever made!

Old 03-09-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaProf View Post
Don't listen to the poster who says that Graniteville is a bad area!
I bought a condo here six years ago, and couldn't be happier living here!

The area is a great mix of just about every ethnicity that exist, and all great working
professionals like myself, that got priced out of other areas. I have yet to see the
"white trash" that the other poster refers to! We do border Marinors Harbor, but that has
yet to be a problem for me! Why the area get a bad rap, I have no clue? Perhaps it's folks
that aren't confortable if they are not seeing 100% white faces all the time or perhaps, they are
South Shore
Rsidents from that side of the Island, they are always bashing, without having ever lived here, stepped
a foot here;etc. I've been a North Shore resident for over 18 years now, and would never consider living
anywhere else! Another bonus, you could really end up getting a great price on a nice place! I did, and
it was the best decision that I ever made!
Your name is also "LatinaProf" so you're experience is obviously different.

call me a racist. But graniteville is a hole, and yes I'm uncomfortable around ghetto people who disproprotiantely live on the north shore

Even west Brighton has turned to a craphole

It's a great neighborhood if you're main needs are easy access to your roxy/heroin dealer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City