Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 03:41 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,970,265 times

Advertisements

I think your over reacting about how bad that neighborhood is. And to point out anything about a drug dealer in the same breath as amping up the south shore is comical as most of the problem is centered around south shore areas. Staten Island is pretty simple, north shore, lower income, higher density, more urban, mid island, working class, tree lines blocks, south shore, bigger homes, business owner types, higher paying managment positions. Obviously those are vast generalizations but they hold pretty true, naturally you have pockets of affluent homes on the north shore, and pockets of less than desirable areas on the south shore. Granitville in my opinion falls into that mid island working class type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 03:53 PM

278 posts, read 252,442 times
Michael, My name is latinaProf, it's short for Latina Professional, get it!

I find your response extremely racist and offensive!

what the $#%& does my being a latina, have to do with having a different perspective??????

You're obviously an uneducated troll, who has never stepped one foot in the North Shore, let
alone my neightborhood!

Oriiginal Poster: Please note the source with whom you are getting advice from!

Old 03-09-2015, 04:05 PM

140 posts, read 267,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaProf View Post
Michael, My name is latinaProf, it's short for Latina Professional, get it!

I find your response extremely racist and offensive!

what the $#%& does my being a latina, have to do with having a different perspective??????

You're obviously an uneducated troll, who has never stepped one foot in the North Shore, let
alone my neightborhood!

Oriiginal Poster: Please note the source with whom you are getting advice from!
This is your second post

Of course, you disagree with me so I'm a racist

I'm saying since you're spanish there is a definite different standard. You probably wouldn't be uncomfortable in a lower income minority neighborhood because "those are your people"

I've been in your neighborhood many times. I used to work right off forest avenue.

It's ghetto. Sorry it's the truth.

It's not Tompkinsville ghetto

But it makes new Dorp look like Beverly hills

Btw it's not mid island, it's north shore

Mid island is between Richmond and the expressway

North shore is above the express way

Look at the schools zoned to graniteville..these are the kids that live in the neighborhood
They are the products of parents that live in the neighborhood

It's a good spot for upwardly mobile minorities

......and white trash

Old 03-09-2015, 04:10 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Well I *HAVE* been to and know of Graniteville, and far more than 18 or whatever years. Have friends and family who lived and still live there so am out that way very often.

As with many SI neighborhoods things can and do vary almost block by block in GV. Closer to the Expressway/Willowbrook-CSI campus is "nice" if you like town houses. Further down towards Forest and between South and Richmond Avenues things vary depending really upon so many factors. You have old homes that haven't been kept up right alongside of those that have.

Large parts of Graniteville is made up of new construction that arrived in the past twenty years (again all those god awful town house developments), and as often the case with density can come problems.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:02 PM

140 posts, read 267,110 times
Is the area by CSI graniteville? That's not where I was talking about? To me graniteville is between forest avenue and the expressway. The area by CSI and willowbrook along victory is called willowbrook until you hit Richmond then it's bulls head. Those are decent working class areas, above Richmond seems very Jewish especially in those townhome developments

Old 03-09-2015, 05:15 PM

432 posts, read 552,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well I *HAVE* been to and know of Graniteville, and far more than 18 or whatever years. Have friends and family who lived and still live there so am out that way very often.

As with many SI neighborhoods things can and do vary almost block by block in GV. Closer to the Expressway/Willowbrook-CSI campus is "nice" if you like town houses. Further down towards Forest and between South and Richmond Avenues things vary depending really upon so many factors. You have old homes that haven't been kept up right alongside of those that have.

Large parts of Graniteville is made up of new construction that arrived in the past twenty years (again all those god awful town house developments), and as often the case with density can come problems.

Excellent post. That goes for most of SI nowadays, block by block.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelReilly View Post
Is the area by CSI graniteville? That's not where I was talking about? To me graniteville is between forest avenue and the expressway. The area by CSI and willowbrook along victory is called willowbrook until you hit Richmond then it's bulls head. Those are decent working class areas, above Richmond seems very Jewish especially in those townhome developments
In theory once you cross over the expressway/440 you are in Bull's Head. However Graniteville at it's most eastern tip is just on the other side from Victory Blvd. Around North Gannon and Willowbrook Road is the area am thinking of.

Bull's Head actually begins around Westwood Park (somewhere around Crafton Avenue IIRC) and goes west to Graham Avenue and loops around Willowbrook Park/CSI then down to Travis Avenue and around to Richmond Avenue, again bordering the park.

Those townhouses/area just across from Willowbrook/CSI *was* very Jewish at one time. That Jewish kid who killed his sister (or was it step sister) when she caught him breaking into the house or doing something he shouldn't was over there. Don't know how much of that is still true today. The houses built behind Forest Avenue going up towards the Expressway were in part Jewish. But as things got to dark and or Latin they mostly moved on. The condo development around Regal Walk is very nice IMHO.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:39 PM

515 posts, read 875,790 times
Every single one of these Staten Island neighborhood experience threads are a joke ... All you get are the extreme opinions on here.

I'm guessing people on here hate and are scared of New Brighton. I wished some of you walked down jersey street today and 20-30 years ago. Jersey street is 5th ave compared to what it was back in the day. Overall, I'd say every single neighborhood on Staten Island is getting better. To OP, don't read any of these replies. Go for yourself; check out the neighborhood.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:06 PM

725 posts, read 805,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Colt View Post
Very interesting. I'm born in U.S. but ethnic background is Greek, Italian, Spanish (Barcelona, Spain). No kids. Work in Bay Ridge. So I guess I should be further down. Is Westerleigh the same deal?

So you are white (racially).

Old 03-09-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
Every single one of these Staten Island neighborhood experience threads are a joke ... All you get are the extreme opinions on here.

I'm guessing people on here hate and are scared of New Brighton. I wished some of you walked down jersey street today and 20-30 years ago. Jersey street is 5th ave compared to what it was back in the day. Overall, I'd say every single neighborhood on Staten Island is getting better. To OP, don't read any of these replies. Go for yourself; check out the neighborhood.
What is the point of telling/wishing persons could walk down Jersey Street twenty or more years ago? Do you have a time travel machine or something? It is a hood now and you value your life cheaply walking down most of it day or night. End of story.

"Every neighborhood on Staten Island is getting better"? Have you just arrived from some alien planet?

Suppose Saint George has no where to go but back "up" after everything besides the 120th and Borough Hall mostly moved out of that area.

Port Richmond? Especially from Castleton to the Terrace from Richmond Avenue going west actually *was* nice even the mostly African American area, now look at the place. It certainly has not gotten better.

West Brighton? Was mostly nice even around the projects and Markham Homes. Now basically from Alaska to Elm Street roughly from Henderson Avenue to the Terrace yet another hood. Even "The Situation's" family high tailed it off Bement Avenue for New Jersey. In fact you see RS sales persons try to put the nicer parts of West Brighton (what is left of it) in Randall Manor to avoid scaring persons off.

New Brighton? Please, the area once had pockets of old school Italian, Irish and other working class and even middle class or above households. Now mostly slums aside from areas where transplants and others have snapped up those old Victorian homes and are trying to improve things.

Seems to me persons going on about how SI is getting "better" are recent arrivals that have no idea what the place looked like before the 1980's or even 1970's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City