Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 06:13 PM

725 posts, read 805,056 times

Advertisements

So much hate for Staten Island on all the threads. Maybe it has to do with it being secluded and on its own. We all pretty much experience Manhattan, go to queens to the airports at least, maybe brookyln and go through the bronx to eat in city island or go to the bronx zoo or to get upstate. Not much in Staten Island if you don't live there.

The white areas are going to be better than the hoods in the Bronx, Manhattan and queens. But I have no opinion of staten island and as I haven't been there in many years and never experienced it. If there was 1 county that should be on its own it should be Richmond county. It's not fair that they are tied down by paying all these nyc taxes (sales and city tax) to feed the hoards in other bouroughs. Manhattan should be on its own as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 06:39 PM

515 posts, read 875,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Seems to me persons going on about how SI is getting "better" are recent arrivals that have no idea what the place looked like before the 1980's or even 1970's.
I grew up in St.George in the 90's and lived there for 20+ years. So my comparison is 1990 Staten Island vs 2015 Staten Island. You seem so knowledgeable about all the "bad" parts of Staten Island yet I guarantee you never drove through any of these areas let alone walked through them. North Shore troll - that's what you are. Talking **** over the internet about places you read about. Let me guess? Black people scare you

Old 03-09-2015, 06:57 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
I grew up in St.George in the 90's and lived there for 20+ years. So my comparison is 1990 Staten Island vs 2015 Staten Island. You seem so knowledgeable about all the "bad" parts of Staten Island yet I guarantee you never drove through any of these areas let alone walked through them. North Shore troll - that's what you are. Talking **** over the internet about places you read about. Let me guess? Black people scare you
See there you are wrong pal. Know New and West Brighton very well and from the 1970's onwards. My grandmother and other family members did their grocery shopping at the A&P on Jersey Street.

Know Saint George equally well since among other things the College of Staten Island had a campus on Saint Mark's Place. Even CUNY packed up and moved to Willowbrook.

New Brighton began dying not long after Staten Island Hospital, and then HIP packed up and moved. Assumption school and church were still kept going by the remaining Italian-American population around that part of New Brighton, but they have either passed on and or largely moved away. You find some old timers, but nothing like it was back then. While these were not in NB proper it was part of the cycle that saw the South Shore and Mid-Island become the focus of much on Staten Island.

It was the poverty and other ills of the 1970's that began to kill of New Brighton. Factories such as the Gypsum plant on Richmond Terrace closed and again you saw the slow shift.

Saint George from Victory to Richmond Terrace was once a vibrant and bustling center of commerce on SI as well as a decent enough place to live. You had Drake Business School at Victory and Bay Street for instance. Then little by little things closed and or moved away. Even the historic Saint George Diner couldn't continue.

From Jersey Street to Bay Street and the Terrance to Victory Blvd am sorry to say is various degrees of a slum. You *may* have pockets of this or that but those mainly are persons set on preserving those old Victorian homes. Have driven down Victory Blvd (to reach Bay Street and then onto the VNB) recently and it is pretty much an extension of Jersey street in that area.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...ested_for.html

Last edited by BugsyPal; 03-09-2015 at 07:13 PM..

Old 03-09-2015, 07:18 PM

140 posts, read 266,874 times
Quote:
In theory once you cross over the expressway/440 you are in Bull's Head. However Graniteville at it's most eastern tip is just on the other side from Victory Blvd. Around North Gannon and Willowbrook Road is the area am thinking of.

Bull's Head actually begins around Westwood Park (somewhere around Crafton Avenue IIRC) and goes west to Graham Avenue and loops around Willowbrook Park/CSI then down to Travis Avenue and around to Richmond Avenue, again bordering the park.

Those townhouses/area just across from Willowbrook/CSI *was* very Jewish at one time. That Jewish kid who killed his sister (or was it step sister) when she caught him breaking into the house or doing something he shouldn't was over there. Don't know how much of that is still true today. The houses built behind Forest Avenue going up towards the Expressway were in part Jewish. But as things got to dark and or Latin they mostly moved on. The condo development around Regal Walk is very nice IMHO.
Latin? Huh we are talking about two different places lol. Nowhere in the island besides the projects has any significant non white populations below the highway. The area around CSI has all Jews, actually a decent population of Hasidic jews. Where are these latins you speak of? Peppered around the island there are some Nuyoricans but nowhere on the south or mid shore is "diverse" islanders don't stand for that. That's the whole reason SI took off because the italians and the irish and the Jews were escaping diversity in their neighborhoods. Graniteville is a small area south of Mariners harbor that is mostly blacks and low class white people.

On the other side of the expwy Bulls head is lower class whites lots of Italians and Jews
Willowbrook is all Jews

New springville is getting more Hasidic by the day

Old 03-09-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
See there you are wrong pal. Know New and West Brighton very well and from the 1970's onwards. My grandmother and other family members did their grocery shopping at the A&P on Jersey Street.

Know Saint George equally well since among other things the College of Staten Island had a campus on Saint Mark's Place. Even CUNY packed up and moved to Willowbrook.

New Brighton began dying not long after Staten Island Hospital, and then HIP packed up and moved. Assumption school and church were still kept going by the remaining Italian-American population around that part of New Brighton, but they have either passed on and or largely moved away. You find some old timers, but nothing like it was back then. While these were not in NB proper it was part of the cycle that saw the South Shore and Mid-Island become the focus of much on Staten Island.

It was the poverty and other ills of the 1970's that began to kill of New Brighton. Factories such as the Gypsum plant on Richmond Terrace closed and again you saw the slow shift.

Saint George from Victory to Richmond Terrace was once a vibrant and bustling center of commerce on SI as well as a decent enough place to live. You had Drake Business School at Victory and Bay Street for instance. Then little by little things closed and or moved away. Even the historic Saint George Diner couldn't continue.

From Jersey Street to Bay Street and the Terrance to Victory Blvd am sorry to say is various degrees of a slum. You *may* have pockets of this or that but those mainly are persons set on preserving those old Victorian homes. Have driven down Victory Blvd (to reach Bay Street and then onto the VNB) recently and it is pretty much an extension of Jersey street in that area.

New Brighton man arrested in shootout that left bystander with bullet wound | SILive.com
West Brighton was nice less than 10 years ago. Very irish, I knew people out there. Now it's getting icky because even though it's still white mostly most kids raised there go to the south shore to raise their kids because north shore schools suck..all black and Spanish lots of gangsters

Also lots of hookers around port Richmond these days and out by the Bayonne bridge

Old 03-09-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
No crime scares me. This ain't atlanta let's be real there is not one black neighborhood in NYC or the whole northeast that is a good neighborhood. Blacks who aren't hood either move down south or they move to white areas and pray their neighbors don't assume (usually correctly in the past)! That the area is turning into a ghetto and then leave which makes the area a ghetto.

What do the nicest parts of the city all have in common? From riverdale to the UES to park slope to tottenville??

They are predominantly white.

The only minorities that can move into these areas are very Americanized middle class Nuyoricans everyone else ain't welcome on my block and I speak for the majority I just have the balls to say it

Old 03-09-2015, 07:35 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelReilly View Post
Latin? Huh we are talking about two different places lol. Nowhere in the island besides the projects has any significant non white populations below the highway. The area around CSI has all Jews, actually a decent population of Hasidic jews. Where are these latins you speak of? Peppered around the island there are some Nuyoricans but nowhere on the south or mid shore is "diverse" islanders don't stand for that. That's the whole reason SI took off because the italians and the irish and the Jews were escaping diversity in their neighborhoods. Graniteville is a small area south of Mariners harbor that is mostly blacks and low class white people.

On the other side of the expwy Bulls head is lower class whites lots of Italians and Jews
Willowbrook is all Jews

New springville is getting more Hasidic by the day
According to data Graniteville is over 29% Hispanic. They make up the largest ethnic group after whites in that area.

The houses in question are those town homes you see going north on South Avenue before you get to the condos near the Expressway. These in back of Forest Avenue around Birch Road in those "new" developments. Know this because once got lost trying to get to a party further up on Regis Drive and noticed lots of Mexican/Latin families. Long story short you cannot get to where one needed to go without going around but that is another story. When finally reached the place in question later on asked what was with that "other" part of town. Was told originally the development was built for and or mostly purchased by Jews but something happened to "spook" and things didn't work out. So more and more Mexicans/Latinos began moving in.

The "other side" Bulls Head as you call it IMHO is full of Italians and other whites that are transplants from Brooklyn (or their kids) and or those seeking "home ownership" and the best they could manage on SI are those townhouses. Not all are "lower class" in fact at least by income they are City workers (NYPD, FDNY, DSNY, etc..), but that doesn't account for class or lack thereof.

The area around Father Macris Park/Lambert Lane is pretty nice, especially going east towards Richmond Avenue. However there you have mainly single family homes instead of townhouses.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
According to data Graniteville is over 29% Hispanic. They make up the largest ethnic group after whites in that area.

The houses in question are those town homes you see going north on South Avenue before you get to the condos near the Expressway. These in back of Forest Avenue around Birch Road in those "new" developments. Know this because once got lost trying to get to a party further up on Regis Drive and noticed lots of Mexican/Latin families. Long story short you cannot get to where one needed to go without going around but that is another story. When finally reached the place in question later on asked what was with that "other" part of town. Was told originally the development was built for and or mostly purchased by Jews but something happened to "spook" and things didn't work out. So more and more Mexicans/Latinos began moving in.

The "other side" Bulls Head as you call it IMHO is full of Italians and other whites that are transplants from Brooklyn (or their kids) and or those seeking "home ownership" and the best they could manage on SI are those townhouses. Not all are "lower class" in fact at least by income they are City workers (NYPD, FDNY, DSNY, etc..), but that doesn't account for class or lack thereof.

The area around Father Macris Park/Lambert Lane is pretty nice, especially going east towards Richmond Avenue. However there you have mainly single family homes instead of townhouses.
Oh! You were talking about Graniteville being Spanish. I thought you were talking about Bulls head and willowbrook. Totally different wavelength.

Graniteville is the north shore. Of course it has lots of Hispanics. It is above the expressway. Nothing good is above the expressway except for some restaurants. Westerleigh and castleton corners is decent as is the area right around clove lakes park but generally above the expressway is bad news.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
So much hate for Staten Island on all the threads. Maybe it has to do with it being secluded and on its own. We all pretty much experience Manhattan, go to queens to the airports at least, maybe brookyln and go through the bronx to eat in city island or go to the bronx zoo or to get upstate. Not much in Staten Island if you don't live there.

The white areas are going to be better than the hoods in the Bronx, Manhattan and queens. But I have no opinion of staten island and as I haven't been there in many years and never experienced it. If there was 1 county that should be on its own it should be Richmond county. It's not fair that they are tied down by paying all these nyc taxes (sales and city tax) to feed the hoards in other bouroughs. Manhattan should be on its own as well.
What hate? I love Staten Island. I think it should become independent from the city and become two towns (the black and Mexican hoods up north and the nice areas down south) I bet you every white person left in brooklyn would move over the bridge quick. We can attract some businesses and maintain the bridges and ferry with tolls, slash the city income tax, elect non communist mayors and be the only slice of NY as it was..a great city

Old 03-09-2015, 08:05 PM

278 posts, read 252,259 times
Michael, you are such a hateful, ignorant Pos!
You know nothing about me, or what I am comfortable living with! I'll explain it
In simple terms, so even a piece of vermin such as yourself can understand!
I have never lived in a ghetto or hood area! I have always lived in solid middle class
Neighborhoods! "My people" are those unlike yourself, whom are hardworking and
Decent!
My neighbors, whom I know extremely well are a NYC Fireman, a NYC School Teacher, a CSI
Adjunct Professor, a SI Ferry Captain, get the picture! Decent, hard working folks, whom I am proud
To call neighbors!
Granitville is not the hood! Never has been, never will be!
Yes I have 2 post, because the minute that I read your hateful lies, I felt it my duty, since it is
My community, to set the record, straight!
BTW, the fairly new elementary school that opened up here, has some of the highest test
Scores on the Island!

Bottom line for you and all the haters, write all the inaccuracies, and exaggerations that your pea
Brains can produce, I live here, and I know, that you're all full of it!

Original Poster, you must visit, the areas, yourself, make, your own value judgements!
Moderator, please eliminate, the offensive,hateful post, they violate the sites, TOS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City