Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of rider are you?
Choice 13 43.33%
Captive 15 50.00%
I don't use public transportation 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:17 PM

575 posts, read 672,654 times

Advertisements

JEEZ AGAIN !

OP did not state the purpose of his survey request. You guys are trying to re-invent his wheel.

if you can't seem to fit yourself into one of the 3 options, just choose not to participate in the survey. If OP tried to modify it to fit every possible scenario, the survey would be two pages long. Then the data would perhaps be of no use for his intended purpose. Plus people would still complain that they don't fit in any of them.

Like Blake Jones, I have a car, a Metro card but no bike. I also have a commercial delivery vehicle, a motorcycle, a skateboard and a boat so I need a special category for people like me. You guys are making me crazy.

Pick one of the 3 options, the one that most fits you. That's what I did. If you can't then don't play the survey game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:20 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,092 times
No one is really "by choice", except Mike Bloomberg.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:22 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
No option for grown men wearing business suits using razor scooters to get around?

Old 03-13-2015, 12:26 PM

32,109 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
JEEZ AGAIN !

OP did not state the purpose of his survey request. You guys are trying to re-invent his wheel.

if you can't seem to fit yourself into one of the 3 options, just choose not to participate in the survey. If OP tried to modify it to fit every possible scenario, the survey would be two pages long. Then the data would perhaps be of no use for his intended purpose. Plus people would still complain that they don't fit in any of them.

Like Blake Jones, I have a car, a Metro card but no bike. I also have a commercial delivery vehicle, a motorcycle, a skateboard and a boat so I need a special category for people like me. You guys are making me crazy.

Pick one of the 3 options, the one that most fits you. That's what I did. If you can't then don't play the survey game.
Exactly. I didn't come up with the terms and definitions. I'm simply asking how people see themselves in light of the definitions provided.

I think "captive" rider best fits me because I would likely drive to work in a city that provided easier/cheaper parking. So while I "choose" to ride transit, that choice is dictated to a great degree by the constraints of big city life. It's the same way I "choose" to go to work everyday but would prefer to drink Mai Thais on a beach somewhere in the South Pacific.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:08 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
if you can't seem to fit yourself into one of the 3 options, just choose not to participate in the survey. If you can't then don't play the survey game.
yeah, which is why I can't participate in the poll, the choices don't make sense to most people

Old 03-13-2015, 02:32 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Having a vehicle also means being captive of the alternate side parking rules.

In general I prefer to use public transportation than driving. So I don't like these definitions of "choice" or "captive" as I choose to use public transportation rather than having a car which to me is a hassle especially in NYC.
I rented a parking space at my home.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Definitions are WAY too sloppy.

But given that, I chose "choice."

(Is a CAB public transportation?)

How about getting more to the point with "Do you own and use your own car for most of your intra-city travel?" if that is what the poll is getting at.

Also, polls should not use loaded terms like "captive" which is something a car commercial might use.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:01 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,955 times
Love trains, tolerate buses, hate cars. If I liked driving, I'd live in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City