Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 12:23 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times

Advertisements

I heard Harlem was pretty safe now mostly now and not that ghetto at all from my buddy from the Bronx but I guess it can be sketchy in many parts still, its def way better than it used to be the 70s and 80s from every New Yorker I ever talked to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 01:55 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I heard Harlem was pretty safe now mostly now and not that ghetto at all from my buddy from the Bronx but I guess it can be sketchy in many parts still, its def way better than it used to be the 70s and 80s from every New Yorker I ever talked to.
That is true and if you are renting you can pack up and move if you feel unsafe. Even if you buy a coop or condo its easier to sell if you don't like the area, as long as it is in Manhattan.

A brownstone can stay on the market a couple of years if its not on the right block or in the right area, because of the prices. If you are shelling out 2 or 3 million you want safety, and quiet.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:25 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Not good for either place. I know these areas. The area around the subway station on 125th and Lexington is notorious. I wouldn't live in a brownstone on Madison between 124th and 125th ST. The park over there Marcus Garvey Park is sketchy. It is still an area that has a significant criminal element.

136th St is OK nice brownstone block. I can't remember off hand if there are any churches in the brownstones. I know the next block going east does. Some of the brownstones on 136th St used to be Funeral parlors. Chemicals in the walls may be a concern, I don't know. There may be a way to check for those things. The surrounding area is not great.
People who live in the area told me the 125th and Lexington station is very safe, crowded and full of cops.
Surprised to hear it's otherwise. Or maybe it was the west side station they were referring to but I recall the east side was okay as well...

Old 03-24-2015, 03:40 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
People who live in the area told me the 125th and Lexington station is very safe, crowded and full of cops.
Surprised to hear it's otherwise. Or maybe it was the west side station they were referring to but I recall the east side was okay as well...
Really? Whenever I'm over there it looks like 1995. Like time stood still right in that area.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:48 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
136 and Malcolm X (Lenox Ave) is Hamilton Heights. Right around the corner from the 135 St, 2 and 3, and walking distance from St. Nicholas Park and the 135 St, C train!

Madison between 124 and 125 is, of course, right smack between Harlem's main strip, 125, and Marcus Garvey Park!

Both locations are right near or next to parks, for your kids! And the Madison Ave location is down the block from the 125, 4,5,6 to the east and the 125 St, 2,3 to the west!

Both parks have great music festivals.

The 125th, 4,5, 6 stop, at Lex Ave, may look a bit seedy. But there's much traffic, and the likelihood of anyone bothering you is minimal! I think the only thing one may have to worry about is the noisy traffic of the main thoroughfares, 125 and 135!

Oh, yeah, Lenox Ave has become a hot strip of restaurants, bars, etc.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:50 PM

Same rules apply when looking at any neighborhood: Go during an evening hour and get a feel for it! See for your self!

Old 03-24-2015, 04:00 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
136 and Malcolm X (Lenox Ave) is Hamilton Heights. Right around the corner from the 135 St, 2 and 3, and walking distance from St. Nicholas Park and the 135 St, C train!

Madison between 124 and 125 is, of course, right smack between Harlem's main strip, 125, and Marcus Garvey Park!

Both locations are right near or next to parks, for your kids! And the Madison Ave location is down the block from the 125, 4,5,6 to the east and the 125 St, 2,3 to the west!

Both parks have great music festivals.

The 125th, 4,5, 6 stop, at Lex Ave, may look a bit seedy. But there's much traffic, and the likelihood of anyone bothering you is minimal! I think the only thing one may have to worry about is the noisy traffic of the main thoroughfares, 125 and 135!

Oh, yeah, Lenox Ave has become a hot strip of restaurants, bars, etc.
When is the last time you have been over in these parts? Bad advise for someone with 2 young children and they are White millionaires. Or I'm assuming because at the least they can borrow millions to buy a brownstone.

First Hamilton Heights ends at 135th St on its Southern end and Edgecomb on its Eastern end. Lenox and 135th is Central Harlem. Yes its walking distance to St Nicholas Park which is partially in Hamilton Heights. 136th St and Lenox is not bad but the area is not great. My biggest concern for that is that a lot of the brownstones were funeral homes on that block and they should be tested for chemicals before purchasing. But 136th St has one of the best libraries in Harlem especially for children. The Schomberg is also there.

The east side of Marcus Garvey Park is not good. Day or night. There is no way to sugar coat that. I know grown men that are not comfortable over there and they grew up in Harlem.

Yes they do have music festivals and that would be a pretty safe time to venture in Marcus Garvey Park because a crowd would be there. St Nick park is much safer.

Lenox is a hot strip of restaurants catering more to adults.

This family can live in better areas with 2 or 3 million. If they have less than that they need to look into a coop or condo in the better areas.

Last edited by DAS; 03-24-2015 at 04:09 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 04:08 PM
DAS

Quote:
Same rules apply when looking at any neighborhood: Go during an evening hour and get a feel for it! See for your self!
Agreed weekday evenings and Saturday afternoons with the warmer weather are best. Sundays true Harlemites sleep in or they go to church.

I am not trying to be negative just telling the truth, but on Sundays the recent White Harlemites tend to come out more and gives a different impression of the neighborhood. I think this is partially because they feel more comfortable because others are staying in, and because there tend to be real estate open houses and people want to paint a rosier picture of certain areas. Areas that are very loud on weekday afternoons and evenings look a lot different with a lot of White people watering their flowers in front of their brownstones and walking down Lenox and Broadway. When usually this is not the case.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
When is the last time you have been over in these parts? Bad advise for someone with 2 young children and there White millionaires. Or I'm assuming because at the least they can borrow millions to buy a brownstone.

First Hamilton Heights ends at 135th St on its Southern end and Edgecomb on its Eastern end. Lenox and 135th is Central Harlem. Yes its walking distance to St Nicholas Park which is partially in Hamilton Heights. 136th St and Lenox is not bad but the area is not great. My biggest concern for that is that a lot of the brownstones were funeral homes on that block and they should be tested for chemicals before purchasing. But 136th St has one of the best libraries in Harlem especially for children. The Schomberg is also there.

The east side of Marcus Garvey Park is not good. Day or night. There is no way to sugar coat that. I know grown men that are not comfortable over there and they grew up in Harlem.

Yes they do have music festivals and that would be a pretty safe time to venture in Marcus Garvey Park because a crowd would be there. St Nick park is much safer.

Lenox is a hot strip of restaurants catering more to adults.

This family can live in better areas with 2 or 3 million. If they have less than that they need to look into a coop or condo in the better areas.
I'm there frequently!

2015 Harlem is nowhere near Harlem, back in the day! And I go as far back as 1977!

Old 03-24-2015, 04:32 PM
DAS

Quote:
I'm there frequently!

2015 Harlem is nowhere near Harlem, back in the day! And I go as far back as 1977!
That east side is because the same welfare center and methadone clinics are still there. Those people still hang around the subway station, they still hang out in front of Pathmark ( I know not there in 1977). They still sit around in Marcus Garvey park. 136th was never that bad so its pretty much the same with a few more White people walking around.

There are better areas in Harlem than these 2 spots to invest 2 or 3 million. Harlem has sections and you can't generalize the entire thing like it is just one big area, that is all the same. Its up to the OP but if I spent that much I want to live like I spent that much. Not like a young single that is barely scraping by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City