Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 11:36 PM

4 posts, read 9,660 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to offend anyone but I find that gentrification is ridiculous and unnecessary, and I also find it very racist too. What is the point of gentrifying neighborhoods? It just pisses me off when I hear of minorities being displaced after decades in their apartments and in their neighborhoods. In my opinion, I don't gentrification necessary. NYC has lost all it's flavor and soul by this and its making the city not only expensive and unaffordable, but also dull, boring, and lame. I was born in the Bronx in the late 1980s and as a kid growing up in the 1990s, I remember how vibrant and exciting this city was back but not anymore. I'm Latino, born in the Bronx but raised in Washington Heights and still living in the Heights, my parents are both immigrants from Dominican Republic. Getting back on the subject, I've been noticing a lot of white people in my neighborhood in the last 5 years and also my bulding which was entirely Latino, mostly Dominican but also a lot of Mexicans too, is now about 25% white. Everytime a Latino moves out of my building, the landlord renovates the apartment to brand new standards and rents it out at more than $2500 and to white people only. Isn't a landlord suppose to rent out apartments to anyone? Just like employers can't discriminate anyone in hiring process, aren't landlords suppose to rent to anyone that meets the requirements for the apartment? This kind of stuff pisses me off. Also, where are minorities supposed to after being displaced? I keep hearing a lot of people that are stating to hate white people over this stupid gentrification thing. Can the mayor do something about it? Look the skyrocketing homelessness this city is having as a result. Also, why building so many condominiums everywhere when there's a desperate need for affordable housing in this city. Honestly, all this stuff enrages me and if I'm not forced out or forced out, I will voluntarily leave this city and a few years. This is disgusting! Look at Harlem and many parts of Brooklyn for example, it's sad to see how those places are today
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 04:21 AM

571 posts, read 790,867 times
You should've bought property. Renting an apartment doesn't entitle you to a lifelong affordable home. My mother was just "displaced" by rich New Yorkers. Her rent in Sarasota just jumped from 800 to 1200. Who's crying for her?

Get over it you crybaby. And when you leave take a couple whiners with you.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:50 AM

115 posts, read 165,506 times
I am also annoyed and saddened, but I agree that more people should have purchased homes and done other things to uplift themselves economically. Now as a middle class American, I can't even buy something in the neighborhood I grew up in. I don't mind change and diversity, but these prices are not even normal...they are beyond ridiculous.

I've said my peace before this thread goes to hell in 5.4.3.2...

Old 03-28-2015, 05:04 AM

571 posts, read 790,867 times
It's crazy to me that people renting a private home feel so entitled. The reason that rental properties are built, managed and maintained to begin with is so that someone can make a living renting the apartments out. People also have the option of 'buying' their own home. If you 'buy', you have the benefit of making money by investing in 'your' neighborhood. Just as for-profit developers did when they built 'your' rental building.

And when you move to Florida try not to displace any of my family members. Or do they not count because they're white?

Old 03-28-2015, 05:29 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC87 View Post
Look at Harlem and many parts of Brooklyn for example, it's sad to see how those places are today
Even more sad than what neighborhoods like the South Bronx and Bushwick looked like in the '80s and '90s?

Sounds like it is time for you to move on. Your parents didn't bust their asses to raise you in America for you to stay in a tenement building your whole life.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:35 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
As a white person who moved to the Heights a year ago, I resemble this remark.

I enjoy many aspects of the Dominican culture, but when it comes to double parked boom car street party DJs and motorbike gangs popping weelies against traffic like drunken cowboys in town on Saturday night, "gentirification" can't come fast enough to the Heights.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:06 AM

23 posts, read 40,300 times
every group should have their own piece of spot in new york city, but this new movement of mid westerners moving to new york is ruining the balance, culture and feel of these neighborhoods. I'm seeing it here in Bed Stuy but what can you do.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,224 times
Its all about supply and demand and money. NYC is very desirable, thus the expensive real estate. The same is happening with my hometown, Chinatown in Manhattan.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:31 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
As a white person who moved to the Heights a year ago, I resemble this remark.

I enjoy many aspects of the Dominican culture, but when it comes to double parked boom car street party DJs and motorbike gangs popping weelies against traffic like drunken cowboys in town on Saturday night, "gentirification" can't come fast enough to the Heights.
Did you know that this sort of thing happens in this neighborhood? If so why the hell did u move there to begin with?

Old 03-28-2015, 08:45 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Hopefully gentrification sweeps through this city at an accelerated pace, wiping out those that refuse to (rather take welfare) or can't compete (due to generations of neglected upbringings) on the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City