Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times

Advertisements

Then that's just your opinion, with no substantiating facts.

My position is backed up by twenty five years of political reality in NYC/NYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I simply do not agree with you, and I have learned that precisely that kind of statement is the usual refuge - a clue to move on. You should definitely carry on though.

The narrow-mindedness of middle-management mentality, uninteresting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 09:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
"Last June, the New York State Legislature and Governor Andrew Cuomo negotiated a bill that extended the state’s rent regulation and coop-conversion protection laws for another four years, until June 15, 2015.

The extender bill marked the first time in the last two decades that the rent laws, which apply to New York City and Nassau, Westchester, and Rockland counties, were not weakened when they were renewed, as happened in 1993, 1997 and 2003. That is no small accomplishment: The tenant movement, with its limited resources, fought the real-estate industry, whose leading lobbyist boasted that landlords had “emptied our piggybank” to help the Republicans reclaim control of the Senate from the Democrats in the 2010 election, to a draw."

Tenants to Albany: We Cannot Wait Until 2015 | Metropolitan Council on Housing

If you read this, taken from the MetCouncil in the past two decades the rent stabilization laws have been weakened.

"Cuomo announced that he planned to include renewal and reform of the rent laws in the state budget, due April 1. This was an exciting possibility, as the governor has the power to place non-fiscal matters in the state budget and can control the language. In other words, he could have forced the Senate Republicans to swallow strengthening the rent laws. But this turned out to be a red herring, as Cuomo announced shortly before the April 1 deadline that he would not attempt to include rent regulation in the budget.

It could be that Cuomo gave away any real leverage he had by not including rent reform in the budget. In end-of-session negotiations between the “three men in a room”—Cuomo, Silver, and Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos (R-Nassau)—Skelos realized that he had to agree to some pro-tenant changes, because a new and popular governor had taken a stand on that side of the issue. But he succeeded in limiting the reforms.

In effect, Cuomo and Silver were negotiating with the Rent Stabilization Association, which represents landlords of rent-stabilized properties, as Skelos would not agree to anything the RSA did not want. The Senate leader ruled out reforms such as repealing vacancy decontrol, making it harder for owners to raise “preferential rents,” limiting increases for major capital improvements, and extending rent stabilization to post-1973 former Mitchell-Lama and project-based Section 8 buildings. At the last minute, provisions that that would have required the state housing agency to verify individual-apartment-improvement rent increases were deleted from the bill."

Cuomo again did not push for inclusion of the rent stabilization laws in the budget, and Skelos still controls the state Senate.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Then that's just your opinion, with no substantiating facts.

My position is backed up by twenty five years of political reality in NYC/NYS.
The Met Council itself admits to the weaking of the rent regulations in NY in the past two decades, with the potential for more weakening this year. We will see. Cuomo wishes to run for President and is Republican lite.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
The rent regulations will be renewed. There's really no one in any position to influence this process who doesn't want that, including the LLs. The question is, on what terms? I think the Republicans will want them weakened, if for no other reason than to demonstrate they still have some power in Albany.

A couple things I figure they can do. They could lower the rent threshold for deregulation back down to $2,000. Also, since some of the local politicians in the city are pushing for a rent freeze, the senate could force a mandatory minimum increase in the in the regulations, something like 3% for one year renewal and 5% for two year. This would completely stifle the city RGB.

Last edited by BBMW; 03-30-2015 at 09:51 AM..

Old 03-30-2015, 10:22 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
I don't know. I keep it moving once they start perching down on the hood. It's like 1492 all over again. I don't like being around too many of them any more than they like being around us, because it is kind of uncomfortable and annoying. They're not too friendly for one thing, and we have enough of that going on with each other already. It's like a downward spiral however you look at the situation, even if it makes them extra giddy.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:31 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
There's a reason why so many African Americans have moved out of New York, they've simply been priced out. To be honest regardless of race if you're making less than 80,000 a year you are wasting your time in NYC

Old 03-30-2015, 10:59 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
In order to live in NYC you have to be pulling in $120k or pulling scams like working for cash and collecting.

I think a majority of the poor folks here are working for cash or very low income while collecting and doing 2nd cash jobs on the side.

Others have really cheap rent from connections or some living off Section 8.

The new comers are the ones making over $120k that could afford a $2500 rent which is still ridiculous that over 50% of your paycheck goes to rent and related expenses. There's zero equity and more debt than assets which is a recipe for hardship when it's time for retirement.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:11 AM

555 posts, read 617,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In order to live in NYC you have to be pulling in $120k or pulling scams like working for cash and collecting.

I think a majority of the poor folks here are working for cash or very low income while collecting and doing 2nd cash jobs on the side.

Others have really cheap rent from connections or some living off Section 8.

The new comers are the ones making over $120k that could afford a $2500 rent which is still ridiculous that over 50% of your paycheck goes to rent and related expenses. There's zero equity and more debt than assets which is a recipe for hardship when it's time for retirement.
all about living within your means.

You can live in NYC very comfortably as long as you don't have to be in manhattan. I've made more than enough to live in manhattan but that would be just throwing money away.

I live in Jackson Heights, big 2 bedroom apt, low maintenance that has yet to go up, trains all around me to go anywhere I want... cheap garage. Lots of great restaurants within walking distance.

There are still many bargains to be had but too many people are too concerned with living in the "hip areas" even if those areas are BedStuy... and dangerous.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:47 AM

[quote=eddiep83;39018040]all about living within your means.

You can live in NYC very comfortably as long as you don't have to be in manhattan. I've made more than enough to live in manhattan but that would be just throwing money away.

I live in Jackson Heights, big 2 bedroom apt, low maintenance that has yet to go up, trains all around me to go anywhere I want... cheap garage. Lots of great restaurants within walking distance.

There are still many bargains to be had but too many people are too concerned with living in the "hip areas" even if those areas are BedStuy... and dangerous.[/QUOTE ]

Jackson Heights itself is gentrifying. As areas close to Manhattan become more popular, the cost of living in these places go up. Not so long ago bedstuy wasn't hip. Look at it now. Many small businesses and immigrants are being priced out of Jackson Heights. LIC and Astoria are as expensive as Manhattan.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:05 PM

555 posts, read 617,324 times
Quote:
Jackson Heights itself is gentrifying. As areas close to Manhattan become more popular, the cost of living in these places go up. Not so long ago bedstuy wasn't hip. Look at it now. Many small businesses and immigrants are being priced out of Jackson Heights. LIC and Astoria are as expensive as Manhattan.
certainly, I've noticed many changes since I moved here in 2009... but it's still very affordable to middle class people who makes under 100k. As is FH & Kew Gardens near by.

A couple can live very comfortably here on 100k in a 1 or 2bedroom apt.

The key is to BUY something you can afford while you can... co=op maintenance rarely go up and when they do it's a small increase compared to rents that have been spiraling out of control.

People worrying about being able to buy a 500k studio in manhattan or downtown brooklyn can easily buy a 2 bedroom in nice areas in queens...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City