Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 05:40 PM

5 posts, read 7,129 times

Advertisements

I'm mainly concerned about the ability to find resteraunts to eat in (not fast food places, but preferably places were you can sit down and order a proper meal), as well as the ease of reaching Manhatten and Brighton beach through public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 06:31 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,036,046 times
Restaurants, I'd say Bay Ridge, hands down. Public transport - for Manhattan, I would again give an edge to Bay Ridge - both neighborhoods are a bit of a trek to Manhattan on the subway, but Bay Ridge has express buses that can cut down the time considerably. For Brighton Beach, the edge definitely goes to Midwood.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:40 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
Bay Ridge, Midwood is not known for fine dining.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 7,129 times
Thank both of you for the help. I really appreciate it.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
Restaurants, I'd say Bay Ridge, hands down. Public transport - for Manhattan, I would again give an edge to Bay Ridge - both neighborhoods are a bit of a trek to Manhattan on the subway, but Bay Ridge has express buses that can cut down the time considerably. For Brighton Beach, the edge definitely goes to Midwood.
Assuming the express bus doesn't get stuck in traffic on the Gowanus.

Also, Midwood does have express buses running down Ocean Avenue, though personally, I would stick with the subway.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:55 PM

275 posts, read 572,595 times
Bay Ridge, no question.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:50 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,615 times
bay ridge has one train line, the r. midwood has both b and q. how is bay ridge better for transport then? all it has is more restaurants that are groovy or whatever word sounds cool. midwood is 50% of what bay ridge is. it has its own gym (nysc) like bay ridge and tj maxx and marshalls (at sheepshead bay across from stop and shop). i believe there are prettier girls in bay ridge too. the girls down in midwood are terrible.

lastly brighton beach is two stops on the b line and about 6 on the q line. that's about a 5 to 10 minute ride max. no transfers. just get on and you are there. with the r train? lmao. yeah lmao is right. enjoy taking it up 20 minutes to atlantic avenue and then backwards to brighton beach (another 25 minutes) on the b or q. the r train is also far less frequent in arriving than the q train. in fact, that's the worst line in the system for frequency outside of the red-headed stepchild known as the g train. i always hate taking the r. even in the morning during rush hour, it takes a long time to come compared to the q or b (i take the b/q often).

Old 04-06-2015, 08:54 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,757,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
bay ridge has one train line, the r. midwood has both b and q. how is bay ridge better for transport then? all it has is more restaurants that are groovy or whatever word sounds cool. midwood is 50% of what bay ridge is. it has its own gym (nysc) like bay ridge and tj maxx and marshalls (at sheepshead bay across from stop and shop). i believe there are prettier girls in bay ridge too. the girls down in midwood are terrible.

lastly brighton beach is two stops on the b line and about 6 on the q line. that's about a 5 to 10 minute ride max. no transfers. just get on and you are there. with the r train? lmao. yeah lmao is right. enjoy taking it up 20 minutes to atlantic avenue and then backwards to brighton beach (another 25 minutes) on the b or q. the r train is also far less frequent in arriving than the q train. in fact, that's the worst line in the system for frequency outside of the red-headed stepchild known as the g train. i always hate taking the r. even in the morning during rush hour, it takes a long time to come compared to the q or b (i take the b/q often).
There are a lot of Russian honeys in Midwood, not too shabby!

Old 04-06-2015, 08:59 PM

2,545 posts, read 2,872,257 times
I spent an hour meandering Kings Highway in Midwood waiting for my girlfriend to get out of a work training last summer and there was absolutely nowhere to hang out. Midwood is in the upper tier of "Blah" when it comes to Brooklyn hoods.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:35 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,615 times
cincy is right. midwood is a blah place. it's really for old people and feels more like a suburb than a city. it's basically just residential, nothing more at all. there is a nightclub at coney island ave. and avenue o. really though, i was looking at transit. the b and q trains are far superior to the r. brighton beach train station is also a 10 minute ride away from midwood. not the case whatsoever with bay ridge.

russian honeys in midwood? no. old people. the pretty girls are down at brighton beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City