Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:11 AM

861 posts, read 852,560 times

Advertisements

If Jamaica queens gentrifies then the clowns have truly taken over the asylum..

Along with the South Bronx, its a real long shot..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 05:04 PM

294 posts, read 263,492 times
https://cleanupjamaicaqueens.wordpre...rst-starbucks/

Looks like Starbucks is setting up camp on Sutphin Blvd.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:21 PM

108 posts, read 120,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
A lot of people I know in queens own their home. While I was living in Jamaica queens a few years ago most of my neighbors ended up buying somewhere in queens. So that alone makes it harder to gentrify. Also queens is full of immigrants and they stick together which makes it harder for outsiders to get in some areas. However, I do think it can improve. Even though I hated my landlord I loved living there way more than I do living in harlem. I lived a block over from hillside which is technically "north Jamaica" but I took the train and was over there the people were nicer and there were not a ton of crack heads and dope fiends. Most of the people over there worked (nurses, day care people, taxes drives, cna ect. ) I also found them a lot nicer.

Actually the north side of hillside ave can be one of three areas, Jamaica hills, Jamaica estates or Briarwood. Jamaica falls on the south side of hillside ave. Those areas are considered good areas.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:26 AM

128 posts, read 174,115 times
Jamaica will not gentrify any time soon. These developments are a waste of time. Jamaica has too many roadblocks ahead of it.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:47 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/22/re...-hub.html?_r=0

Old 07-22-2015, 10:55 AM

Showing the ugly of Jamaica. If they want tourist to come and stay in the community, then they better start enforcing quality of life laws, since most of the neighborhood is still one giant eyesore. The few hotels they have downtown I've read reviews and tourists say how the neighborhood is a dump and some were even scared to leave the hotels. If you don't clean up the streets and get the ghetto class out, then this "revitalization" will go down in flames.

https://cleanupjamaicaqueens.wordpre...tive-brochure/

Old 09-02-2015, 07:14 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Queens Night Market to Debut in Jamaica This Fall - Jamaica - DNAinfo.com New York

The Queens Night Market is moving to Queens this weekend. Interesting choice for a location.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Queens Night Market to Debut in Jamaica This Fall - Jamaica - DNAinfo.com New York

The Queens Night Market is moving to Queens this weekend. Interesting choice for a location.
My family and I went last night and we had a great time. The food was excellent, reasonable prices, live entertainment, activities for the children, and plenty of parking. This is what Jamaica needed, something positive for a change. There was a large turnout and the crowd was very diverse. Things are looking up for Jamaica. Foundation is being poured for new developments on Archer ave, 88th st, Wexford Terrace, and a massive Burlington coat factory is being built on Jamaica Ave as well. 5 years from now we might be looking at a different community. Here's a nice write up and photos from last night. https://cleanupjamaicaqueens.wordpre...needs-more-of/

Old 09-07-2015, 07:00 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Str8 View Post
My family and I went last night and we had a great time. The food was excellent, reasonable prices, live entertainment, activities for the children, and plenty of parking. This is what Jamaica needed, something positive for a change. There was a large turnout and the crowd was very diverse. Things are looking up for Jamaica. Foundation is being poured for new developments on Archer ave, 88th st, Wexford Terrace, and a massive Burlington coat factory is being built on Jamaica Ave as well. 5 years from now we might be looking at a different community. Here's a nice write up and photos from last night. https://cleanupjamaicaqueens.wordpre...needs-more-of/
I went too. It was really nice. Blows Smorgasburg away. Prices are half that and food better. No made up hipster recipes as if food hasn't already been getting prepared all around the World for centuries. Great job to the organizer for bringing the many different cultures of Queens together.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I went too. It was really nice. Blows Smorgasburg away. Prices are half that and food better. No made up hipster recipes as if food hasn't already been getting prepared all around the World for centuries. Great job to the organizer for bringing the many different cultures of Queens together.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing too about Smorgasburg upon returning home from the night market. I like going to the LIC flea as well, but a good number of the food vendors prices at the flea are outrageous! I'm really looking forward to going again this Saturday since it will be the official grand opening party. I have to try the Burmese food and twister cakes this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City