Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:02 AM

648 posts, read 3,091,054 times

Advertisements

my son and i discovered the Brooklyn Diner on W. 57th street when we visited nyc and loved it!! they have the most amazing pot pie!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 10:25 AM

336 posts, read 1,495,809 times
a couple of you have said to "avoid mexican", but i have read and heard great things about "the great burrito". any opinions on that place?

Old 01-26-2008, 05:18 PM

866 posts, read 4,258,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Dexter, I think many of the folks here consider themselves too savvy to dine in a tourist area like Little Italy... but I agree with you. There are quality restaurants down on Mulberry Street, my favorites:

Luna's... you get a HUGE sandwich for $8 (takeout only), eat in is a NY experience with gruff staff and less than pretty decor with the little old lady sitting at the back table.
Il Fornaio... casual good personal pizzas
Il Cortile is pricey but outstanding food.
Puglia's is a tourist attarction but they put on a good show.
Little Charlie's on Kenmare St... off the beaten path but again, good food but not a bargain.

If you find yourself in East Elmhurst, Queens... go Mama's Italian deli on 104 St & 46 Ave. AKA Leo's Latticini. This is the real deal with the best fresh mozzarella & they have a delicious special everyday... Wednesday is ravioli day OMG. They also have an awesome Italian Special sandwich.
Absolutely worth the trip.
Baylovers, are you talking about the restaurant "Luna" that was next to La Bella Ferrara Cafe. If you are, that restaurant is gone, and is know a gift shop, the last time that I was down in Little Italy. They did have good prices on the food when Luna was in business.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:46 PM

82 posts, read 546,047 times
I have to disagree with the 'no good Mexican' food in NYC. Rosa Mexicano is really good..a bit touristy but good. There are multiple locations throughout the city. Mexican Radio on Lafayette and Kenmare is fun. Las Palapas is also good. Dos Caminos is popular and a bit touristy but it is usually a fun, hip time.

If you do want to go to Little Italy for food, I love Il Cortile. Grimaldi's and Lombardi's are great for pizza. If you make it to Brooklyn check out Peter Luger's. In Chinatown, go to Wo Hop. Sit downstairs. I lived in NYC and I would make the trek down there sometimes. One of my favorite restaurants is Jane on Lafayette street. Great American food.

Try and find H&H for bagels.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:51 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
wow, Luna's is gone... too bad. Another NYC staple bites the dust.

Luna in Little Italy Gone? - Manhattan - Chowhound

Old 01-27-2008, 12:00 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,589 times
H&H's bagels are sold in most Korean delis, and I think Starbucks that sell bagels. You don't have to go to the store at 80th & Broadway, but the store bagels are fresher from the oven than those sold elsewhere.

Last edited by Carbro; 01-27-2008 at 12:12 AM..

Old 01-27-2008, 08:02 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Why worry about restaurants being "excellent"? Part of the adventure of travelling is experiencing local culture. While you definitely should hit up one or two "renowned" places while you're here, the rest of the time you should just pop into a neighborhood restaurant where ever you happen to be when you get hungry .....

Old 01-27-2008, 09:54 PM
REM

368 posts, read 995,260 times
Does anyone know of any russian or indian places

Old 01-29-2008, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 55,369 times
Just a few of the best under $25. I have a list with more information if you want, let me know. The best pizza is at Di Fara, not Lombardi's. Pick up a Zagat guide if you want, they're quite informative.

Thai: Sea, Joya, Wild Ginger, Jasmine, Spice
American: Penelope, Grey Dog's Coffee, Hope & Anchor, Old Devil Moon, Pop Burger
Asian: Tsampa, Faan, Zen Palate, Rice, Friendhouse, Sandobe, Republic
Mexican: Pacifico, Bonita
Italian: 'ino, Panino 'teca 275, Ferdinando's Focacceria, Il Corallo Trattoria, 3 of Cups
French: Cafe Gitane, Tartine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City