Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 08:59 AM

17 posts, read 22,876 times

Advertisements

Hi just seeking some advice on moving to New York from Scotland.

I'm a married 30 year old male and I'll be moving out in September at some point - my wife won't be out until November.

I will be working in Manhasset so looking for advice on good areas to live on a budget of up to $1800 a month, this is probably all I could afford until my wife joins me and fines a job.

So yeah looking for somewhere I can drive to Manhasset quite easily and my wife can commute into Manhattan from when she gets a job sorted out.

I've been reading up on Woodside in Queens and location wise that seems ideal a friend has also suggested Farmingdale or Hicksville.

Can anyone give any further advice?

Any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 10:11 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Will your wife being working in Manhattan? If not, I suggest that you are probably better living in Long Island. To get further information on Farmingdale and Hicksville, I guess you post your query on the Long Island forum.

As for Woodside (Queens), I assume you could probably find a one bedroom within your stated budget. Normally one signs a one year (or 2 years) lease so you might want to wait until your wife arrives before doing so. Meanwhile, you could probably rent a room in the area to see if you want to do this commute to Long Island daily.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Will your wife being working in Manhattan? If not, I suggest that you are probably better living in Long Island. To get further information on Farmingdale and Hicksville, I guess you post your query on the Long Island forum.

As for Woodside (Queens), I assume you could probably find a one bedroom within your stated budget. Normally one signs a one year (or 2 years) lease so you might want to wait until your wife arrives before doing so. Meanwhile, you could probably rent a room in the area to see if you want to do this commute to Long Island daily.

Yeah she will most likely be working in Manhattan due to the nature of her work (retail) though it's possible she could get a job elsewhere too I guess.

Thanks for that note on the lease, will have to figure something out with regard that.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:00 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekins67 View Post
Yeah she will most likely be working in Manhattan due to the nature of her work (retail) though it's possible she could get a job elsewhere too I guess.

Thanks for that note on the lease, will have to figure something out with regard that.
What does she do in retail?

Old 05-09-2015, 06:19 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
Some of these areas you speak of are quite a bit different as far as density and urbanity.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
What does she do in retail?
She is a store manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Some of these areas you speak of are quite a bit different as far as density and urbanity.
Can you provide some examples of what you're meaning? Genuinely not got much of a clue at the many, many different areas of NY!

Old 05-24-2015, 02:35 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekins67 View Post
She is a store manager.
She can do that in any city then, she doesn't need to work in manhattan. So i'd pick an apt with an easy commute to wear you are working and she can find a job based around that.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:50 PM

100 posts, read 59,081 times
Assuming your wife will work in Manhattan, you might want to look at nicer neighborhoods in Queens, like Jackson Heights, Rego Park, Forest Hills for your $1800 1 BR budget. Areas near the 7 or E train, for example or the LIRR ( Long Island Railroad) into Manhattan and possibly into Manhasset for your work. Not sure if you two will split the distance work wise.

Take a look at the Port Washington line for the LIRR, which includes Manhasset in the route and other nearby towns and neighborhoods within Long Island and Queens.
http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/lirrmap.htm]MTA LIRR

The other map to look at would be the MTA's subway map for the Queens subway lines, like the 7, E, etc. to look at the neighborhoods where you have access to subway trains going into Manhattan.

At some point, you need to limit your search to the nicer towns and neighborhoods within your budget and commuting distance. After research here (or other forums and websites) and fine tuning your questions with relevant info about your needs and budget, you probably want to connect with a realtor ( or realtors) to help you with your search and need for more specific info.

The question is if you and your wife prefer a more suburban lifestyle where most travel within the town will be by car. Or if you are more interested in an urban lifestyle with access to some form of public transportation that is passable to good.

Do go onto the Long Island forum for feedback if you and your wife wish to be based there. Manhasset is an affluent town in Nassau County, Long Island. Port Washington and other north shore towns can be very livable if you do not mind driving a car for most of your living needs.

Last edited by Evolving; 05-24-2015 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 02:58 PM

Look at the MTA subway map below for neighborhoods along the 7, E, F, M, R subway trains in Queens for possible living options if you and your wife are more inclined towards an urban lifestyle
In NYC ( though some of the Queens neighborhoods can almost border a more suburban lifestyle, like Bayside, a nice area to live in).

http://www.mta.info/sites/default/fi..._map_Jun10.pdf

Old 05-24-2015, 03:03 PM

Also, I am referring you to the LI forum and possibly realtors because I am not sure what the rental rates are for 1 BR ( to 2 BRs even), depending on which part of Long Island. Parts of Nassau County are not cheap. The north shore near the Long Island Sound tends to be more affluent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City