Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 03:10 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,710 times

Advertisements

3,000 - 3,900 can get you into some good neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Go onto the free website Streeteasy and pretend you're looking there. Type in your number of bedrooms, baths, price ranges you wish for, and a few neighborhoods (I'll give you samples below)**.

Study the apartments that pop up onscreen.

OR, don't put in any neighborhoods but just do all of Brooklyn for your price range/number of beds. Then, when you see which neighborhoods seem to center on your requirements, write down those names of neighborhoods. THen either read about those neighborhoods by name on Wiki (for a most general idea) or come back to C-D and use them as searchwords to find threads where people have written about each neighborhood.

Often an apartment listing says which subway or bus lines are closest; that's important information. If not, whenever you need to know about access to public transportation, go to the MTA trip planner site or something called Hopstop. As your "start" point, Type the listed apartment's address or the closest intersection of streets for that listed apartment. As "destination" pick out something you need to reach, such as your job address, or Times Square, Grand Central Station, Wall Street etc. Then study what it tells you about the number of subways, total trip time, how many (if any)transfers are required to make that trip.

Try plugging in these neighborhoods, just as starters, in Streeteasy:

Park Slope (fanciest but not all parts are well-served by subway lines; you might find a great apartment but have to walk a half-mile to the closest subway, depending.)

Brooklyn Heights

Boerum Hill

Prospect Heights, especially near Grand Army Plaza and the Brooklyn Museum

Clinton Hill

Fort Greene (locate the NYCHA public housing projects and avoid extreme proximity to those)

Greenpoint (but watch for address location relative to subways)

The above are considered easy into Manhattan for transpo.

The next group you could try if you're much more interested in a lovely amount of space but longer commute times into Manhattan:

Midwood

Kensington

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 05-16-2015 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 03:17 PM

18 posts, read 19,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The thing about anonymous forums is that someone posting could just be a kid or overgrown kid posting from his mother's basement, maybe not in NYC at all. Don't take it so seriously.

But I will say that believe me if we say we've heard this before -- many people have come on here saying "money is no object" only to find out that it IS an object, because everything (real estate mainly) is so insanely expensive in NYC.

The other thing to remember is that a realtor is going to expect that you either can prove a certain amount of income (40x monthly rent per year), or have a guarantor in the tri-state area who makes 80x the monthly rent per year. You can Google all that.

Hi Henna,

Speaking of realtors, I was told to better not show a prove of big amount (30x-40x monthly rent per year) to them due to privacy / safety reasons. Really now?!

In this instance, do I have to go through brokers who might ask for +15% from the annual fees?

Old 05-16-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
3,000 - 3,900 can get you into some good neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Go onto the free website Streeteasy and pretend you're looking there. Type in your number of bedrooms, baths, price ranges you wish for, and a few neighborhoods (I'll give you samples below)**.

Study the apartments that pop up onscreen.

OR, don't put in any neighborhoods but just do all of Brooklyn for your price range/number of beds. Then, when you see which neighborhoods seem to center on your requirements, write down those names of neighborhoods. THen either read about those neighborhoods by name on Wiki (for a most general idea) or come back to C-D and use them as searchwords to find threads where people have written about each neighborhood.

Often an apartment listing says which subway or bus lines are closest; that's important information. If not, whenever you need to know about access to public transportation, go to the MTA trip planner site or something called Hopstop. As your "start" point, Type the listed apartment's address or the closest intersection of streets for that listed apartment. As "destination" pick out something you need to reach, such as your job address, or Times Square, Grand Central Station, Wall Street etc. Then study what it tells you about the number of subways, total trip time, how many (if any)transfers are required to make that trip.

Try plugging in these neighborhoods, just as starters, in Streeteasy:

Park Slope (fanciest but not all parts are well-served by subway lines; you might find a great apartment but have to walk a half-mile to the closest subway, depending.)

Brooklyn Heights

Boerum Hill

Prospect Heights, especially near Grand Army Plaza and the Brooklyn Museum

Clinton Hill

Fort Greene (locate the NYCHA public housing projects and avoid extreme proximity to those)

Greenpoint (but watch for address location relative to subways)

The above are considered easy into Manhattan for transpo.

The next group you could try if you're much more interested in a lovely amount of space but longer commute times into Manhattan:

Midwood

Kensington
BrightRabbit,

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to write such valuable information!
I have to study now before I revert again with probably more questions.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irreplaceable_Gem View Post
Hi Henna,

Speaking of realtors, I was told to better not show a prove of big amount (30x-40x monthly rent per year) to them due to privacy / safety reasons. Really now?!

In this instance, do I have to go through brokers who might ask for +15% from the annual fees?
I don't know at what point you have to prove your income, but you should plan on having to prove it. Maybe the realtor who has already answered questions on this thread could answer that.

If you use a broker, then yes, you will have to pay the fee. You will find many more apartment options open to you if you pay a broker fee and use a broker, at least that is my understanding. People use brokers in NY, not because they want to and they are made of money, but because that's the norm and it makes the very difficult job of apartment hunting much easier.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:48 PM

515 posts, read 875,551 times
First off, I am NOT posting from my mother's basement. Now that we got that out of the way, OP should first educate herself (which she obviously didn't do) and only come to the forum as a last resort. Quit being lazy! You're making other people do your research for you and some of them are stupid enough to actually do it for you.

Assuming you can afford 4k rent/month you make at least 160k/year. If you do make that salary I doubt you make it by asking stupid questions, using ZERO common sense and being lazy about your work. Since you are already here, you should of searched the forum for similar posts. These types of questions get asked all the time. Usually it's by people who have HALF of your budget = HALF the choices that you're going to have.

You want an apartment that's close to the train, shops, and restaurants. Let's begin with the train. Do a google search of the NYC Subway system and look at Brooklyn. Cross off any neighborhoods that aren't accessible(acceptable?) by train. Congrats! You've just made your search smaller! Now do the same with shops and restaurants! I just zeroed in your search to a couple of neighborhoods. Now use google again, it's your friend. Search the sites mentioned by another user above. (You haven't come across any of them yet because you haven't done ANY research!)

Just hire a broker.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
First off, I am NOT posting from my mother's basement. Now that we got that out of the way, OP should first educate herself (which she obviously didn't do) and only come to the forum as a last resort. Quit being lazy! You're making other people do your research for you and some of them are stupid enough to actually do it for you.

Assuming you can afford 4k rent/month you make at least 160k/year. If you do make that salary I doubt you make it by asking stupid questions, using ZERO common sense and being lazy about your work. Since you are already here, you should of searched the forum for similar posts. These types of questions get asked all the time. Usually it's by people who have HALF of your budget = HALF the choices that you're going to have.

You want an apartment that's close to the train, shops, and restaurants. Let's begin with the train. Do a google search of the NYC Subway system and look at Brooklyn. Cross off any neighborhoods that aren't accessible(acceptable?) by train. Congrats! You've just made your search smaller! Now do the same with shops and restaurants! I just zeroed in your search to a couple of neighborhoods. Now use google again, it's your friend. Search the sites mentioned by another user above. (You haven't come across any of them yet because you haven't done ANY research!)

Just hire a broker.
This is a relocation website. If you have nothing to add beyond calling people who try to be helpful "stupid" and then insulting OP (lazy, stupid) and then telling her just to use Google, then why are you on here? Never mind. I actually don't really care.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post

Just hire a broker.
It is so sad how you just assumed that I have not done any research at all...
Some of the suggested sites mentioned above were helpful. Just to let you know none of those sites popped in Google during my research..

Like I said, I have contacted few properties and am either waiting for a vacancy or no reply yet. That's why I said is it hard to find an apartment without a broker? I just don't know how things roll in NY! Call me stupid

I liked one apartment in Brooklyn but the nearest station is not as close!
I have studied the map quite well where I got a little familiar.

So to give you a peace of mind, I have done some research and I only came here to cross check what I have done and get some clarifications from helpful New Yorkers people. Being a complete stranger who is trying to find the way around doesn't mean that you can call me stupid and lazy..

Wow...
It seems like I will go through a lot of this in NY..

Last edited by Irreplaceable_Gem; 05-17-2015 at 08:06 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 08:09 PM

101 posts, read 159,473 times
3,000 to 3,900? You should be able to find something nice in Brooklyn, just stay away from Clinton Hill or Williamsburgh. With a broker you will find a place much faster.

Try looking for a studio or a 1 bedroom when you earn 34K a year and can only afford 1,000 to 1,100 a month in rent because you have to eat. I have done research and have looked for over six months with no luck. I swear my ex has told all of New York not to rent to me.

Anyway, Good luck to you.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divina50 View Post
3,000 to 3,900? You should be able to find something nice in Brooklyn, just stay away from Clinton Hill or Williamsburgh. With a broker you will find a place much faster.

Try looking for a studio or a 1 bedroom when you earn 34K a year and can only afford 1,000 to 1,100 a month in rent because you have to eat. I have done research and have looked for over six months with no luck. I swear my ex has told all of New York not to rent to me.

Anyway, Good luck to you.
Thank you for the post Divina50!

I need 2beds apartment as I will be sharing the place. To smooth this out and save myself few insults, I will start finding a broker right away.

Looking for over six months?!
I know it took me few weeks to find a place in other states. Interesting NY!

P.S you must have done something major to your ex? lol

Old 05-18-2015, 01:05 PM

101 posts, read 159,473 times
Well, if I did anything bad, is it news to me and our families and friends who are in complete shock about it. I lived with him for 17 years and helped him pay for the house expenses and as soon as the mortgage was paid he walked out and told me I had to move out because he is selling the place. He literally walked out on everyone including his family. By the way, for 17 years I was the one who interviewed and picked the tenants for the one bedroom to rent in the house. He always said I did a better job than a broker.

We were not married so I don't think I have much of a claim in court for anything. I just want a place to live and the knowledge that I never have to see his face again. After having the rug pulled from under me so to speak by finding out he faked a relationship for the measly money I gave him, I consider myself lucky that money is all I really lost.

It has taken 6 months to find a place because I am an older woman who would prefer not to share a place and who cannot afford a high rent. Anyway good luck to you, you'll find something soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City