Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:37 AM

147 posts, read 197,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Berkeley is a major research institute. CUNY doesnt do major rrsearvh norbI am convinced the city or the state would give them money fir thisvresearch. They would rather fund Columbia, Cornell, and NYU.

With that said CUNY is good for going into education or civil service. Or you can do well in CUNY, and go to a top grad school.

That is what we need, more over-educated grads in our workforce... I went to CUNY, yet somehow I doing alright, and most of the folks I work around have at least 1 to 2 masters degree, even a Ph.D with big pay checks.. but are super clueless in doing their jobs. They may be very articulate, and great attending all those meetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 08:51 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,354,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
And George W Bush is smart?
You don't seem to understand "on average". Re-read my post.

On-average, people on the Upper East Side are richer than in Camden, NJ. That doesn't mean there aren't people in Camden, NJ with more money than on the UES. I don't see why this is a difficult concept.

There are people in Sub-Saharan Africa who have more money than some of those living in Beverly Hills, Manhattan, and Greenwich. Doesn't mean Kinshasa is richer than Park Ave.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:37 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,061,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy00 View Post
That is what we need, more over-educated grads in our workforce... I went to CUNY, yet somehow I doing alright, and most of the folks I work around have at least 1 to 2 masters degree, even a Ph.D with big pay checks.. but are super clueless in doing their jobs. They may be very articulate, and great attending all those meetings.
I read a few articles and even saw a documentary that stated the US is going drag itself into oblivion for expanding an over educated population.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:32 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,936,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I read a few articles and even saw a documentary that stated the US is going drag itself into oblivion for expanding an over educated population.
Most of the "over educated" aren't really educated at all. They obtained degrees at fourth-rate schools in order to feed the student loan industry for the balance of their lives. It is precisely this aspect of higher education that is expanding, and rapidly at that.

Education exists at the top venues - which is not limited to the ivies.
Do the research, know what to look for, and you will obtain an actual education.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:28 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,061,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Most of the "over educated" aren't really educated at all. They obtained degrees at fourth-rate schools in order to feed the student loan industry for the balance of their lives. It is precisely this aspect of higher education that is expanding, and rapidly at that.

Education exists at the top venues - which is not limited to the ivies.
Do the research, know what to look for, and you will obtain an actual education.
This is very true. This information is also on lottery of birth.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:28 AM

35,122 posts, read 17,071,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Umm Sotomayor graduated from Princeton summa *** laude and as a member of Phi Beta Kappa. She more than proved she was worthy of admission into Princeton. You are a very ignorant person.
He is a bigot. He is starting from the false presumption that Sotomayor is Jewish and all else flows from that.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:22 AM

482 posts, read 945,703 times
Justice Sotomayor is Puerto Rican...and she grew up in the projects in The Bronx. She can do no wrong in my eyes. She's a home girl, you will recognize her gangsta.....not to be confused with gangster.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:50 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,863,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You should definitely continue to consume the myth. That way you will be prepared in case you run into any "rich and successful" people.

Caveat - in order to continue drowning out the truth you might eventually need to turn the music even louder on your little gadget. This can result in permanent hearing loss.
Love this. Cannot rep you again. Keep them coming, so much fun to read.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:14 PM

10 posts, read 13,864 times
LOL the people in brighton beach/sheephsead bay are afraid of being "discovered"? Those areas already had their condo boom in 2005 and NO ONE MOVED IN. Prices are lower here than they were in 2004. Lots of developments are sitting empty b/c it's too far from the city and it's not "hip enough" for the white transplants and germans who move here. They move to areas with artisnal stores and high priced groceries and bike lans. There's no way they're going to move to russian, pakistani and hispanic neighborhoods. It will likely never happen b/c even now with the sky high prices in north brooklyn and incredibly low prices in south brooklyn, they're choosiing to move to NJ and the hudson valley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
The 2010 Census showed that NYC was 33.3% White, 28.6% Hispanic*** (this number was probably higher due to unreported undocumented immigrants, 22.8% Black and 12.6% Asian. The white population went from 35% of the overall pop. in 2000 to 33.3% and the Black population went from 24.6% in 2000 to 22.8% in 2010.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/cens...2010/pgrhc.pdf (page 14)

Yes, things are getting expensive. Yes, certain neighborhoods are losing working class black and Hispanic folk, and I'll agree with you it does suck... But to think that the city will eventually lose it's diversity is ridiculous... Also, Blacks and Hispanics aren't the only ones getting displaced out of neighborhoods... People in areas like Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, Marine Park, Kensington, etc. are just as terrified of getting "discovered" as any other area in the city. Furthermore, there's too many PJ's, rent stabilized housing, low income housing that was built and continues to be built over the last 10 years and affordable housing programs that range from 50/50 to 80/20 that'll prevent NYC from completely losing it's working/lower middle class renters. Reading online, you'd think there were only five native New Yorkers left in the city... Reality, the city is still overwhelmingly the same and the hype is exactly what it is, just hype...

Old 06-08-2015, 04:54 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,871,967 times
Now even the "gentrifiers" are squirming about gentrification in Bed-Stuy:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2249941

BTW - Had lunch in a Thai restaurant in Woodside yesterday and saw a noticeable increase in the number of yupsters and young seemingly educated people living in the area as well as in nearby Jackson Hts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City