Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 05:15 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Nah, it's just because that's the default position they fall into when a guy sits down. Touching your knees together requires conscious effort that men aren't used to making.
Historically well brought up females were taught from an early age to always sit with their legs closed/knees locked. This makes sense when you consider the traditional attire for women/girls was made up of skirts.

Men OTOH do not wear skirts and with trousers there isn't a compulsion to keep ones legs closed for "modesty" sake.

Personally think some men over do things and spread out as if they are packing the kind of tackle associated with a Grand National winner. Usually this is some fugly, fat and or otherwise unattractive guy I find. The trend has only become more annoying as guys switched from the "short" gym shorts we knew back in the day to those baggy knee length "bloomers". Worse some feel the need to go without undergarments when wearing or the elastic fit has gone. Either way the view isn't something you want to see on the IRT first thing in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 05:52 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,854,441 times
Also keep in mind that a lot of people probably commute on the train with their buttplugs in and have to keep their legs akimbo otherwise it will feel like they are taking poops. I know sounds gross, I was completely shocked myself when I read the stats of people walking around like that.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:56 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,926,435 times
Don't take up too much space. There isn't much here.

Not rocket science. Wake up and notice the other people. Switch off the narcissism.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:08 AM

186 posts, read 220,131 times
Just another way to generate revenue .. you will not see them doing this as someone said during rush hour in wall street etc ..
Nope most of these tickets will come in the dead of the night when cars are empty and people are half asleep either going home or going to work and quotas need to be filled, because lets be serious, NYPD is a quota driven system, that is the only way to justifiably prove you are actually working.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:28 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one1 View Post
Just another way to generate revenue .. you will not see them doing this as someone said during rush hour in wall street etc ..
Nope most of these tickets will come in the dead of the night when cars are empty and people are half asleep either going home or going to work and quotas need to be filled, because lets be serious, NYPD is a quota driven system, that is the only way to justifiably prove you are actually working.
I don't know about your train line but in the dead of the night mine are still crowed and I typically have to stand.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:44 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
I mean if a guy is being selfish by not squeezing his balls a little bit to make room for the next person to sit down on a crowded train, what do you expect?

Personally, I'd just stand up and give the seat away, if it will make my balls uncomfortable, because that's just gay. You don't have to close your legs completely, but you don't need them spread all the way open like a woman about to have sex either.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:53 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,347,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I don't know about your train line but in the dead of the night mine are still crowed and I typically have to stand.
Which train is that?

If I had to take a guess I'd say the 7 or L

Old 06-01-2015, 10:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
It's a power thing. Those that have none of it try to look powerful by using 3 seats on the subway. Kind of pathetic if you think about it.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 AM

5,207 posts, read 4,667,902 times
I always find these type of articles strange although recently I read a study that said in US culture, things are necessarily black or white while in China, people can contemplate the possibility of both sides having merit.

Is it entirely possible that there is police overreach with fulfilling quotas and rude New Yorkers who should be taught lessons in public etiquette? So if it's in the middle of the night, a person should be able to put their feet up on the seats and basically act like they own the place?

Old 06-01-2015, 11:27 AM

457 posts, read 736,899 times
I lady spread if there's enough room available.

I've rarely seen a manspread, but it'd intrigued if I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: