Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 05:03 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Don't be ridiculous. You can totally compare it to ANY other city in the U.S. People do it all the time.

New York has MORE of everything. So if having more of everything is your only criteria.. then sure.. NYC blows everyone out of the water. But there is more to a city than just having more "stuff" than another city. What if Philly has the best Cat food in the country, but NYC has the MOST cat food in the country. Like who really cares? I don't.
NYC would have a larger selection of cat food than Philly, that would range from very expensive to very cheap. Not just more of the same cat food. Though I can find really cheap cat food, maybe around the holidays I want to spoil my cat and buy the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 05:06 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Maybe. But what I want to know is what you found in NYC that you can't find anywhere else on earth.
So you went from comparing NYC to other US cities to now comparing it to the rest of earth within just one thread page. I guess you got your answer pretty quickly.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:15 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
NYC would have a larger selection of cat food than Philly, that would range from very expensive to very cheap. Not just more of the same cat food. Though I can find really cheap cat food, maybe around the holidays I want to spoil my cat and buy the best.
Probably in NY you can find a company that will meet with your cat, speak with his vet, observe him play, sleep, walk and interact with humans, and then develop a special-formula cat food that will enhance his cat life, and be delivered daily to your door.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:36 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
So you went from comparing NYC to other US cities to now comparing it to the rest of earth within just one thread page. I guess you got your answer pretty quickly.
No that poster made the claim that there are so many things you can find in NYC that you can't find other places. I asked for an example and he/she had nothing to give me.

If this exaggerated idea that NYC has so many things you can't find other places IT SHOULD BE EASY TO LIST EXAMPLES. Don't ya think?

Old 06-14-2015, 01:10 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Quote:
Maybe. But what I want to know is what you found in NYC that you can't find anywhere else on earth.
Tons of restaurants and bars for one. I've read it would take almost 23 years to eat at every establishment in NYC assuming you eat out three meals per day. If you are single then NYC will have plenty of other people like you. I've lived in some of the "growth" cities like Orlando and Denver. As a single guy above 30 NYC is a bit unique because everyone I would meet out in places like Denver was already married and usually settled down with the house/kids routine.

I think almost every city has some charm that makes it slightly unique. Well expect Cincinnati perhaps. I think the real NYC charm is the ability to potentially spend my whole life in the area as a happy bachelor.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:13 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
NYC is really safe for a huge city, NYPD are amazing way better than Chicago PD and LAPD

Old 06-14-2015, 02:24 PM

779 posts, read 927,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
Don't get me wrong, there's many reasons the city sucks and yes New Yorkers tend to b*tch about everything. But you can't compare it to any other city in the US. New York is in a class of its own. And as far as NYC's sister cities around the globe go, only a select few make that list - London, Shanghai, and Tokyo IMO.
What about Sao Paulo, Rio De Janeiro, Medellin, Sydney, Nairobi, Berlin, Paris, Bangkok, Rome, so on and so forth?

Old 06-14-2015, 03:00 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Whether the city is being praised or trashed.. its almost always an exaggeration. Its like something about NYC makes people more dramatic than they would normally be.

Seriously... I agree its a large and exciting city. However, its not as over the top as everyone makes it out to be. its not THAT dirty. Its not THAT expensive. Its not THAT amazing. Its not a mind blowing place or anything. Its really just a larger version of most other U.S. cities. Sure it has its unique "only in New York" things.. but so does every other city. NYC just has more of everything.. but not necessarily higher quality everything.
I disagree with what you're saying as it applies to Manhattan in particular. It is definitely amazing, mind-blowing and expensive compared to the rest of the U.S. and most cities in the world.

If you're not a multi-millionaire, then realistically you're not even in the running to live in Manhattan over the long term with a family and all that.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I disagree with what you're saying as it applies to Manhattan in particular. It is definitely amazing, mind-blowing and expensive compared to the rest of the U.S. and most cities in the world.

If you're not a multi-millionaire, then realistically you're not even in the running to live in Manhattan over the long term with a family and all that.
You can't fully enjoy the city without being rich? Hmmm... that doesn't sound very "amazing" and "mind blowing" to me.

The way I see it.. every city and every part of the world is more amazing when you have the money to enjoy it. NYC is no different.

Is NYC amazing for someone making $45,000 a year? Probably much less amazing that it would be if they made the same salary in another city. Ironically.

NYC is amazing like designer clothes are amazing. Being "exclusive" is not the same as being amazing.

Also, just to remind everyone that I'm not trashing NYC. I think the city is awesome. I'm just tried of all the exaggerations about it. Both good and bad.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Tons of restaurants and bars for one. I've read it would take almost 23 years to eat at every establishment in NYC assuming you eat out three meals per day. If you are single then NYC will have plenty of other people like you. I've lived in some of the "growth" cities like Orlando and Denver. As a single guy above 30 NYC is a bit unique because everyone I would meet out in places like Denver was already married and usually settled down with the house/kids routine.

I think almost every city has some charm that makes it slightly unique. Well expect Cincinnati perhaps. I think the real NYC charm is the ability to potentially spend my whole life in the area as a happy bachelor.
And how many of those bars and restaurants are even worth visiting?

This goes back to my earlier point.. about quality over quantity. NYC is obsessed with quantity and ignores quality. More doesn't mean better. NYC might have more cat food varieties than any other city in the country. But if Philly, LA and DC all have less options.. yet the few they have are superior.. then it becomes a moot point.

Take the BEST of everything in NYC and compare it to the BEST of another city. Then you can really see how it measures up.

I have a real life example. NYC has 4 times more subway stations than DC. But compare NYC's best subway station to DC's best subway station and DC wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City