Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 07:34 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They are their early 20s.

They will live where they can afford.

Now if their established in their careers THEN they can afford to be pickier where they live. By then perhaps Bedstuy will be better and if it isn't they can move to a nicer area.

No 22 year old unless you have fantastically wealthy parents backing you up is going to be able to get a place in the really nice parts of Manhattan, or East River Brooklyn or East River Queens. Even a room might be a bit much.

I think it's different for Native or long term New Yorkers who have not had to recently look for a new place to stay, particularly if they are established in life. Of course someone like you would be stupid to leave your house with your wife and kids and move to Bedstuy. You have a good deal.

These kids will have to work their way up into getting a good deal.
But maybe they could have at least found a place a little further out that might be closer to a subway station in an area with overall less crime. Maybe in Lefferts Gardens or Crown Heights. Heck, even parts of Bushwick. But they fell for the Bed Stuy hype, which in general seems to be dwindling down. But doesn't really matter since OP didn't disclose the rent, which would be the number 1 factor. When I was their age I moved to Astoria, which could also have been a good option, but then they wouldn't be able to tell their friends back home that they live in Do or Die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 04:52 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Another solution for GF: Look at bus routes to see if they'll get her closer to your door than the C train station for late-night returns to home. Maybe the 52 or 38 (running west to east) would work out.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busbkln.pdf

For example, she (or both of you) can come partway home from Manhattan by train, but on the way home, get off in a well-populated place in western or downtown Brooklyn where you can transfer to the bus. It's the same fare price, as long as you don't wait too long to board the bus.

I like a late-night bus. It's brightly lit, the driver's right there, well-populated, and gets me closer to my address than the subway. It can be slow, stopping every two blocks, but if you use it just to end your commute, you'd gain that time back by landing a block or two from home instead of 10+ minutes walk from the Kingston/Throop C train.

The key is to both go scout out the best choice of location to transfer, where it's not too dark-and-deserted to stand waiting for a latenight bus. For me, coming home to Crown Heights, switching at Barclay Center from train to bus works out great when it's very late and I'm alone.

Once on the bus, she'll feel okay I'm sure. It's great to land just 1-3 blocks from home at the end of a commute.
Good Stuff. I haven't thought of that.

Edit: Further research shows the 52 is two blocks up on Gates Ave. The 52 starts around Cadmen Plaza which has almost every train you can ever hope to need right around there (2/3/4/5/A/B/C/F/Q/R). Only problem is the bus is once an hour late nights though.

Last edited by Shizzles; 07-04-2015 at 05:02 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 05:04 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataclysm View Post
Hi, my girlfriend and I are moving to a one-bedroom in Bed-Stuy near the intersection of Marcus Garvey and Madison. I am a 22-year-old white male, and she is a 24-year-old white female. The apartment is a great deal, and I have no qualms with the area around the apartment. Unfortunately, only after we've signed the lease has my GF started to express reservations about the location. It's about a 10-minute walk to the C at Kingston-Throop, and she's worried that the area is unsafe to walk through. I'm trying to allay her fears, but I can't really speak authoritatively, since I've never lived in that area let alone Bed-Stuy. If anybody on this forum has experience with that area, any input on what it's like day-to-day in terms of activity and safety would be very helpful!
uh bedstuy is the hood kid. bullets robberies rapes, etc. you name it, it happens there. WHY would you live there even as a black male, forget about white? it's an incredibly dangerous neighborhood and you have no qualms about the area? go ahead and live there and see how long you last before being robbed or punched out. just a few months ago in may, a teen i know saw 4 blacks knock out some chinese guy on the phone and then steal his phone (iphone). this was in bedstuy. the idiot guy thought it was a normal neighborhood. this was during the daytime at about 11 am too on a workday. that will be YOU.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:06 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,938 times
^You're welcome about the buses, OP. I hope it can help your transition. A lot of people pay attention to subway routes, of course. Subways cover the most territory fastest, but bus routes fill in the dots inbetween.

There are also smartphone apps, such as Moovit and others, to advise you on bus timing each day. These are attached to buses in realtime. THere is also an MTA system that lets you text out a code for the bus stop (it's on the bus post itself), and MTA texts back exactly how far away are the next several buses, so you can figure out approximately when the next bus will actually arrive.

With those, you can know exactly when a real bus is heading for a stop, and plan your walk to the bus stop to meet it just in time.

These apps also help a lot in coldest winter weather. You can wait indoors and leave the apartment just in time to walk to the stop.

This year, MTA put this technology on borough buses. It had been around in Manhattan longer.

Another tool: the official bus schedule is posted on the street stops and online for each route. That's just their working plan, but traffic and mechanical problems cause delays. The apps are better to predict bus arrivals in real time.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 07-04-2015 at 05:31 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 05:53 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
uh bedstuy is the hood kid. bullets robberies rapes, etc. you name it, it happens there. WHY would you live there even as a black male, forget about white? it's an incredibly dangerous neighborhood and you have no qualms about the area? go ahead and live there and see how long you last before being robbed or punched out. just a few months ago in may, a teen i know saw 4 blacks knock out some chinese guy on the phone and then steal his phone (iphone). this was in bedstuy. the idiot guy thought it was a normal neighborhood. this was during the daytime at about 11 am too on a workday. that will be YOU.
Agreed 100%. Lets not forget not one cop, but 2 got shot in the head last year on Throop Ave.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:36 PM

7 posts, read 5,780 times
I don't understand how you can move somewhere without checking it out thoroughly first. Bed-Stuy is the worst of the worst. And that's if you're black. I smell a break up coming.

Last edited by kanks; 07-04-2015 at 07:05 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 01:01 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
Not really

Old 07-06-2015, 06:41 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Never been but it sounds scary. Plus you basically live in Clinton Hill now...big difference. Either way, without knowing what the rent is we can't judge whether it is worth living around increased crime. Personally I wouldn't no matter how good the deal, but I got a wife and kids.
The Bed Stuy area I'm in now "is basically Clinton Hill" but posters were not saying that 5 about it years ago. In the eyes of many it was very much a no-go zone. The point is that things are changing rapidly. Hence my statement about relying on advice from people that are currently residing in the area. To you their advice may seem biased but it's by far a more realistic POV of what one would experience day to day living here- especially if they are people that have moved in within the last few years. For example, the crime map of where I live now shows that it has a higher prevalence for shootings compared to Ft Greene, but since I'm not likely the target for gun violence, my cautions for the area for others would be QOL (loud music/parties during the summer and garbage on the sidewalks).

Old 07-06-2015, 07:02 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
For example, the crime map of where I live now shows that it has a higher prevalence for shootings compared to Ft Greene, but since I'm not likely the target for gun violence, my cautions for the area for others would be QOL (loud music/parties during the summer and garbage on the sidewalks).
I am sure ghetto people have 100% accuracy when shooting a gun and people are never hit by stray bullets.

Quote:
Angel Rojas was an innocent bystander when sources said a 14-year-old started wildly firing off shots at a rival that boarded the B15 bus at Marcus Garvey Blvd. near Greene Ave. in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1728690

Old 07-06-2015, 07:29 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I am sure ghetto people have 100% accuracy when shooting a gun and people are never hit by stray bullets.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1728690
Random examples are just that, random examples. That's why they tend to make news, it's the exception not the rule and the media loves to sensationalize. By and large the victims of gun violence are drug dealers, or in gangs, or up to no good in the first place. To think otherwise means you lack critical thinking. Regular people minding their business don't usually get shot. Now, if you were to make a point about getting robbed for your iPhone in this neighborhood, then you would have a valid point. Yes the crime is higher in BS but what that translates to for most working adults is theft...but Becky getting shot in the head just because she moved to Bed Stuy? GTFOHWTBS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City