Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:57 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
The Bed Stuy area I'm in now "is basically Clinton Hill" but posters were not saying that 5 about it years ago. In the eyes of many it was very much a no-go zone. The point is that things are changing rapidly. Hence my statement about relying on advice from people that are currently residing in the area. To you their advice may seem biased but it's by far a more realistic POV of what one would experience day to day living here- especially if they are people that have moved in within the last few years. For example, the crime map of where I live now shows that it has a higher prevalence for shootings compared to Ft Greene, but since I'm not likely the target for gun violence, my cautions for the area for others would be QOL (loud music/parties during the summer and garbage on the sidewalks).
They're renters. Not speculators or real estate flippers. It's fine if they want to live in ghetto, but it depends on what the rent is. That's still a big unknown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 08:50 AM

34 posts, read 36,869 times
FYI - I'm a white guy who has been living in bedstuy for 1 year. I have yet to be robbed, raped, murdered or knocked out. I haven't witnessed any either. Same goes for my roommates and their white girlfriends who come by 3-4x a week.

I'm not quite in the Marcus & Madison area but pretty close by.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
But maybe they could have at least found a place a little further out that might be closer to a subway station in an area with overall less crime. Maybe in Lefferts Gardens or Crown Heights. Heck, even parts of Bushwick. But they fell for the Bed Stuy hype, which in general seems to be dwindling down. But doesn't really matter since OP didn't disclose the rent, which would be the number 1 factor. When I was their age I moved to Astoria, which could also have been a good option, but then they wouldn't be able to tell their friends back home that they live in Do or Die.
Well you can take them into your house and that will solve the problem.

Or perhaps you can pay for their rent in some of these areas you suggest.

Aren't going to do these things? Then don't disparage where they live. I assume they did the best they could and if they could have moved into a nicer neighborhood they would have. But at their age they don't have the income or credit, plain and simple.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Random examples are just that, random examples. That's why they tend to make news, it's the exception not the rule and the media loves to sensationalize. By and large the victims of gun violence are drug dealers, or in gangs, or up to no good in the first place. To think otherwise means you lack critical thinking. Regular people minding their business don't usually get shot. Now, if you were to make a point about getting robbed for your iPhone in this neighborhood, then you would have a valid point. Yes the crime is higher in BS but what that translates to for most working adults is theft...but Becky getting shot in the head just because she moved to Bed Stuy? GTFOHWTBS
If it's an Iphone they can get stolen in the best neighborhoods in Manhattan.

I don't think the risk of having your phone stolen from you walking down the street in Bedstuy is that great.

Now if you're wasted drunk yes your phone might be stolen. Or I saw two women fight on a train and while they fought a thief stole the phone (in the Bronx).

But street robberies are not what they used to be in the city, even in the worst neighborhoods.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:27 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well you can take them into your house and that will solve the problem.

Or perhaps you can pay for their rent in some of these areas you suggest.

Aren't going to do these things? Then don't disparage where they live. I assume they did the best they could and if they could have moved into a nicer neighborhood they would have. But at their age they don't have the income or credit, plain and simple.
What does rent go for on Marcus Garvey these days?

Old 07-07-2015, 06:56 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If it's an Iphone they can get stolen in the best neighborhoods in Manhattan.

I don't think the risk of having your phone stolen from you walking down the street in Bedstuy is that great.

Now if you're wasted drunk yes your phone might be stolen. Or I saw two women fight on a train and while they fought a thief stole the phone (in the Bronx).

But street robberies are not what they used to be in the city, even in the worst neighborhoods.
Good point. Street crime does happen in prime Manhattan. NYC is a lot safer in the robbery department, even though it's the murder numbers that grab all the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City