Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:49 PM

20 posts, read 43,819 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to find the opinions of others who have lived here longer than I (5+ years) to make sure I'm not imagining anything.

I think Throggs Neck has officially become much, much worse. Starting this year, I've been finding heroin needles near where I live (a couple blocks away from Throggs Neck Houses). Used condoms on the ground as well.

BxM9 (express) bus no longer comes at all sometimes, is almost always late, and tons of people force their way on without paying. We even had a panhandler on the express bus once, who made it very awkward since he was stuck on the bus after his song and dance about how he had needed money.

Every night is pierced with music blasting from new neighbors, sometimes up to 3 AM. A few of the neighboring houses have 8 or more residents living in them, and there is now always a fight for street parking. My house, for the first time ever, has had people scoping it out caught on camera. And someone stole my mail for the first time.

A neighbor a few houses down was blowing weed into his baby's face on their porch. The 45th precinct doesn't bother with calls like this, or someone double parking me so I couldn't leave my house for 2.5 hours.

I broke up a fight between two Hispanic girls while their boyfriends egged them on, and got a bloody nose in the process. And no, I never hit anyone, I just held one back and protected her from the other until they went their own ways.

My dog was attacked last year by a woman who tied up her pitbull and left it there while she shopped at an illegal store someone set up in front of their house. A parent let his young child walk a dog half my size, who he lost control of after his dog snarled and lunged at mine (I picked up my dog to protect him, and my arm was scratched in the process).

Am I just running into bad luck, or has Throggs Neck finally (officially) become a ghetto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 08:56 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Over the weekend I saw some needles and half full condoms on the sidewalk on Beekman Place.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
I have noticed more and more hood white folks in the area. It looks like the south Bronx is getting better, Northwest Bronx looks stable but North and South East Bronx might be going downhill. Also plenty of hispanics who can no longer afford the south Bronx are slowly moving into area. But i dont believe throgs neck is going down hill.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 06-22-2015 at 10:03 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 09:02 PM

415 posts, read 514,672 times
Are we allowed to have frank race discussions around here?

If we were, I'd take note of the demographic shift in Throggs Neck over the last 20 or so years.

In most cases, the people who buy homes in the area are good people. They own auto repair shops, work for the MTA or have other decent paying jobs. Unfortunately, they tend to have younger male relatives (nephews, step-children, or natural sons, etc., etc.) who "temporarily" move in to the home upon release from the stir upstate.

If you study the "trouble making" private homes the area, this is always the case. There's 3 or 4 of these houses on every block in Throggs Neck.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I have noticed more and more hood white folks in the area. It looks like the south Bronx is getting better, Northwest Bronx looks stable but North and South East Bronx might be going downhill.
NYC is actively dumping social service clients into out of the way neighborhoods without subway service because those are the only places left with cheap rents. It's ironic because for decades the inhabitants of those neighborhoods have relied on their remoteness from subways to protect them. It has now become a liability.

Also,a lot of these neighborhoods like Throg's Neck are filled with houses that are no longer occupied by the owners , who have moved to Rockland County and Pennsylvania and are only too happy to take higher paying voucher carrying tenants. They no longer care about the neighborhood like their parents did.

I have heard there are block busters at work in some of these neighborhoods too so some of what the OP is seeing could be their handiwork.If you see signs going up all over the neighborhood that say "we buy any house for cash,quick closing" you will know for sure.They love to operate in those types of neighborhoods to promote white flight. Come to think of it the OP could be one of them.His post sounds like one of their scripts.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-22-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 09:20 PM

Citizenrich,

I really don't want to say the problems are because of any ethnicity, since it would be a sweeping generalization to say that the problems come from only people of a certain ethnicity. I say this especially since I am a minority as well.

That being said, only based off MY personal experiences, the music blasting until early morning is usually reggeaton, the houses packed with individuals that are Hispanic, the person who scoped my house was Hispanic, and both dog incidents involved Hispanic owners. That being said, this is correlative rather than causative, which is to say that this is almost certainly not because Hispanic people are predisposed to act this way, but rather that the demographic here has shifted to a much more heavily Hispanic population, making such incidents statistically more likely. In fact, one of the biggest trouble makers was one of those "younger male relatives", who was a white male that was recently evicted after causing several incidents.

That being said, a demographic shift does not necessarily indicate that an area has become "ghetto". A more accurate measurement is the way the people act in the area, and perhaps a measure of the people's median income. I would actually like to argue that most of the property here belongs to the same owners as they always have, but the owners have transitioned from living in their property to renting it out. The perceived demographic shift is because of an influx of renters who are vastly different than the owners.

The reason why I believe this area has crumbled is that landlords have not been doing a good job vetting new renters, especially since they often no longer live near their property and therefore will not suffer the annoyance of living with such tenants. However,I'm not sure what caused such a rapid shift of such poorly behaved neighbors in the past couple years. Maybe gentrification in Manhattan pushing residents out?

Any explanations? Predictions on the future of this area?

Last edited by cbbebop; 06-22-2015 at 09:34 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 09:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,474,580 times
What about Highbridge?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:22 PM

Bluedog2,

You read my mind on the owners leaving and haphazardly renting out the properties...

Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbebop View Post
Bluedog2,

You read my mind on the owners leaving and haphazardly renting out the properties...
It's an old story that has been played out in countless NYC white ethnic neighborhoods.Kids who grew up there are all cops ,teachers and firemen who left the city when they got married and then when the parents die they keep the house,which is paid off and has low taxes, and rent it out for astronomical rents to section 8 people.In most cases the taxes are paid with one or two months rent and the rest is gravy.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's an old story that has been played out in countless NYC white ethnic neighborhoods.Kids who grew up there are all cops ,teachers and firemen who left the city when they got married and then when the parents die they keep the house,which is paid off and has low taxes, and rent it out for astronomical rents to section 8 people.
That's the story of the house I'm living in right now.

The company I'm with is shifting me to work in DC next year, so I'm not sure if moving to live somewhere else for a year is worth the hassle. Just out of curiosity, in your opinion is this a process that eventually reverses itself, or this is area relegated to an unfortunate demise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City