Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 03:25 PM

109 posts, read 195,959 times

Advertisements

http://m.nydailynews.com/opinion/err...1024?cid=bitly

Is this why I didn't get a lottery number for Penn South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 03:53 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexAveExp5 View Post
Errol Louis: How NYC perpetuates segregation - NY Daily News

Is this why I didn't get a lottery number for Penn South?
Penn South is an exception.
The point is - many, perhaps most, "affordable" places are in Harlem, Washington Heights (east), and so on.
Few are in Soho or the West Village.

A problem here is the idea that more long-time residents in Harlem, for example, need affordable housing.
But this isn't helping people who grew up in Tribeca or on the LES and who are now proceed out unless they chose careers in finance.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:53 PM

119 posts, read 110,873 times
I agree that giving strong preference to people living in a particular community is shameless pandering by local politicians. I also find Errol Lewis one of the sharper talking heads on NY1.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,567 times
how do you find lottery applications where do you apply? And does anyone knows the income range? I'm looking for a low income home in nyc but I have no idea where to start or where to look

Old 07-17-2015, 04:53 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
People need to be careful what they wish for, because they just might get it.

Removing community preferences means all bets are off for Harlem, Bedford-Stuyvesant and other parts of Brooklyn rapidly gentrifying, Queens and so forth.

Sure the law of averages means some minority households will "bust" Manhattan below 96th Street, but am willing to bet it will only add more fuel to the fire pushing them out of other areas.

Applications for most every single affordable housing lottery vastly exceeds open slots. Do Mr. Lewis and others think there aren't any low or middle income white households willing to live in what are now mainly minority areas?

Old 07-17-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Do Mr. Lewis and others think there aren't any low or middle income white households willing to live in what are now mainly minority areas?
People are not capable of thinking. That's the problem.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner10 View Post
I agree that giving strong preference to people living in a particular community is shameless pandering by local politicians.
Not true at all. People have a right to live in the neighborhoods where they grew up and/or have spent many years.

The only aspect that goes wrong - considering applications from transplants who have lived somewhere for a year.

I support the locals on this.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:10 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
People are not capable of thinking. That's the problem.
Am sorry to say this but certain persons always seem to allow themselves to be lead off a cliff by those with self serving interests.

Can tell you at least in my office/circle of friends plenty of white non-Hispanic singles and whatever are applying for every single housing lottery that comes up. They have apps, websites, etc... all at the ready with their information ready to go.

As noted in another thread there are fewer and fewer "bad" neighborhoods that whites and others won't go in NYC. The Bronx is the last frontier and even then change is a coming.

Looking at the overall big picture without community support (i.e. reserved spots for current residents), developers are going to find it a hard sell to get the land needed for building such projects.

80/20 or whatever depends upon private developers wanting to build something larger or not currently allowed by zoning. In return the City extracts housing (low and middle income "affordable") promises. If communities, especially the very ones African Americans want to bust into see no upside for them, they will protest and do everything possible to stop said projects. Remember this is *NOT* the case of state or federal government using eminent domain or whatever to get land for building. If a community objects to something it can hold up a project for years if not decades. Most developers today don't have that kind of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: