Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 03:08 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times

Advertisements

I HOPE you are getting a DVR. Life without one is tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 03:59 PM

50 posts, read 90,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I HOPE you are getting a DVR. Life without one is tough.
Yes I'm def getting a DVR but just the one that records two shows and 16 hours of storage. The rest are too costly. That's if I go with verizon.

I think the TWC deal had more storage though.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:38 PM

Ok everybody.

I finallyyyyyyy got.....................Verizon!!!!!

After almost one hour of whining I got a two year triple play package for $110 with all taxes and fees included.

Even Time Warner couldn't beat that so I guess that I got a decent deal!

Thanks to everyone who responded (I sound like I'm giving an acceptance speech)...lol!!!!

Oh and it is true that they bring a "box" when they install service...he said its about the size of a briefcase and it will go in the closet.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueheartofgold View Post
Ok everybody.

I finallyyyyyyy got.....................Verizon!!!!!

After almost one hour of whining I got a two year triple play package for $110 with all taxes and fees included.

Even Time Warner couldn't beat that so I guess that I got a decent deal!

Thanks to everyone who responded (I sound like I'm giving an acceptance speech)...lol!!!!

Oh and it is true that they bring a "box" when they install service...he said its about the size of a briefcase and it will go in the closet.
Forget that post. The services were not what I'm looking for so after speaking to Verizon the price changed:

How does $150 including all taxes/fees for all three (including whole house DVR, Showtime, HBO) sound? To me that's alot but honestly, it may be the cheapest I can find. The internet would be 50/50. The price is for 2 years.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:05 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Forget that post. The services were not what I'm looking for so after speaking to Verizon the price changed:

How does $150 including all taxes/fees for all three (including whole house DVR, Showtime, HBO) sound? To me that's alot but honestly, it may be the cheapest I can find. The internet would be 50/50. The price is for 2 years.
Personally I always feel a little shafted with these combo deals because I'm not a big phone user but for it would be worth it just to lock up the internet.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Personally I always feel a little shafted with these combo deals because I'm not a big phone user but for it would be worth it just to lock up the internet.
I don't need the phone but without the package its actually the same price with less services (No HBO, Showtime, lesser DVR, etc.).

I wish it could be cheaper but I've tried my best and they're not willing to go lower.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:20 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
I don't need the phone but without the package its actually the same price with less services (No HBO, Showtime, lesser DVR, etc.).

I wish it could be cheaper but I've tried my best and they're not willing to go lower.
I have every single channel that FIOS offers with 3 STBs (one with DVR), phone and internet (75/75) for $200.00, nobody's beating that deal...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-13-2015, 11:26 AM

94 posts, read 214,826 times
Quote:
Do you know if FIOS uses a modem? They do charge a fee so I'm guessing they do. I wonder if I can get my own.

Also, what make/model did you get for your TWC modem? They have a list of compatible modems but when I checked online, they're nowhere near $25.
Go with Fios, you wont regret it. I have FiOS Quantum TV Enhanced w/ 3 boxes and phone line and I am paying $175/mth. Package includes Showtime, HBO, 50/50 internet and unlimited voice.

You will not be able to bring your own modem (unless something has changed recently). I tried that when I switched from Cablevision years ago. Verizon forces you to use their modem and they charge a rental fee. If you plan to do a 2 year contract, buy the modem, its cheaper than renting over 2 years. I'm an Network Engineer so I was disappointed with them not allowing your own modem. I personally like to run my own network at home since I don't trust these ISP's for security.

As far as service, it has been excellent for me. I always get 50/50 internet, unless I am on WiFi (bandwidth dependent on distance from router/air noise etc).

One thing that is very annoying, I have the Quantum package multiroom DVR service, it lets you record up to 6 shows at once...BUT the box, they call it the media server, is VERY SLOW. So navigating the DVR menu, pressing pause, FF/REW can be delayed. I might cut this back to a traditional DVR since its so annoying. To get around this, I have to reboot the box every day, otherwise it gets VERY slow.

Other than that, the service is great. HD clarity is perfect.

Last edited by bx1968; 08-13-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 11:49 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
We just got FIOS. Ultimately, based on a promotional deal, FIOS turns out to be cheaper than Time Warner, and they throw in premium channels like HBO and Showtime for the year. Still, internet is a little slower with basic FIOS than it was with basic Time Warner, which is frustrating; we probably need to get a repeater. Still, overall, I like that we get way more channels (we had basic channels . . . no real cable . . . with Time Warner and paid more than we're paying for FIOS, despite having more than a hundred more channels) with FIOS. I do miss News 12 Brooklyn, though, which FIOS does not have!

Note, we use MagicJack to avoid paying for phone service from Verizon.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:49 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:

You could have done a little better better on your initial offering. I am paying $153 for pretty much what you have and that is 5 years in.

Oh, and if you don't want the humongous closet box, tell them you want the small desktop ONT (optical network terminal)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: