Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 03:14 PM

110 posts, read 158,953 times

Advertisements

either scam or illegal housing like basement or not a private room with window and door ( basically u only get a bed that's it ) , or far away from Punic transportation area like Staten Island , certain parts of queens and Brooklyn ( maspeth, Glendale, fresh meadow) u have to take bus and then train. No direct train is available from walking distance. These area are like not ghetto more like middle class but u will need a car to get around.

Even if they are not scam, you only have limited option to choose from based on the price that you set. That's like saying u want to pay only $10 for a whole lobster in a seafood restaurant. In reality, when u buy it in Chinatown, it already cost $15. At the end, u only can get rice and bean for that kind of low price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 05:17 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
I once knew of someone who rented for that much - but she lived in a building's basement in a ghetto Bronx area. Her "apartment did not have windows! Her "apartment" was as dark as a night. You couldn't even see your hand in front of you lol

Old 08-22-2015, 08:28 PM

110 posts, read 158,953 times
$800 can get a room in bay ridge, bensonhurst, astoria, woodside, jackson heights, elmhurst

$500-$600 - very limited options maybe u get 2-3 ads only for brooklyn, queens, and manhattan

bronx is more options due to high crime

Old 08-22-2015, 11:57 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I once knew of someone who rented for that much - but she lived in a building's basement in a ghetto Bronx area. Her "apartment did not have windows! Her "apartment" was as dark as a night. You couldn't even see your hand in front of you lol
It's also illegal.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:07 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatalion View Post
Not even student apartments? (I'm a student). I'm moving to NY but where I currently live, you can easily find luxury-level student apartments for like $450/month...
You can easily rent a room for $800/month outside of Manhattan in a nice area, though you might have to commute a bit depending on where your school is.

Student housing isn't really a cheap thing here.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatalion View Post
Not even student apartments? (I'm a student). I'm moving to NY but where I currently live, you can easily find luxury-level student apartments for like $450/month...
You can rent a ROOM for under $800 in Upper Manhattan, the Bronx, and much of Brooklyn and Queens. A ROOM not an apartment. You won't find an apartment even in the GHETTO for under $800.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
You can easily rent a room for $800/month outside of Manhattan in a nice area, though you might have to commute a bit depending on where your school is.

Student housing isn't really a cheap thing here.
You can rent a room for $800 and under in Upper Manhattan. Washington Heights, Harlem, East Harlem all have lots of students. Even Inwood.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:59 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
People worry too much about CL scams. They exist, but probably only a small proportion. However, if the ad is from a realtor, there's the usual possibility of bait-and-switch. What's more likely is the possibility of renting a room in someone else's home for $800.

Nevertheless, $800 isn't realistic.
Isn't bait and switch a scam ? How can you say "oh, those aren't scams,they are just bait and switch" ?

Old 08-24-2015, 09:19 AM

79 posts, read 84,665 times
800 a month should be enough to cover a nice bedroom somewhere, with a usable kitchen and bathroom as well. If you are looking for a college room that should suit you well. As far as 800 for any apartment in the ny area is absurd.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:41 PM

624 posts, read 982,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
Don't bother with Craigslist.
This is dead wrong. You should bother with craigslist. To find the best apartment you should be using every possible resource you can find. I've found many apartments in CL that were not advertised anywhere else. Especially in the Bronx. Spotting and avoiding scams is pretty easy once you get used to it. Use common sense. When apartment hunting I would often check CL twice a day so when something good popped up I could be the first to go look at it and submit an application if I wanted it.

Quote:
The cheapest you're going to find a studio for is about $1200 if you're lucky.
In what neighborhood? Studios in my area go for $950-$1000..

To the op: As other have stated $800 for an apartment in any of the 5 boroughs to yourself is probably wishful thinking. You will need to live in roommates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: