Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:57 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Have been watching reruns of the old television show "The Naked City" on MeTv and am loving seeing so many outdoor shots of Manhattan during the 1950's. For those that don't know the series it was the one that coined phrase "there are eight million stories......." a reference to the population of NYC at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIA_PtIZfc

One episode last week showed the old The New York Coliseum on Columbus Circle that has since been torn down for the Time Warner Building.

It is interesting to see how much of "old" New York was still around especially Midtown and Far West Side. Tenement and old brownstone blocks long since demolished for skyscrapers and other buildings. The 65th Precinct as named in series actually is Bronxville which was used for some exterior shots but the precinct as used in the series was the 18th (Mid-Town North) 306 West 54th Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenues. Back then this area was smack dab IIRC in Hell's Kitchen which was then still very much Irish. This probably accounts for so many of the NYPD officers and others having thick Irish accents. *LOL*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 07:32 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
I can tell you rents were cheaper

Old 09-08-2015, 07:43 PM

333 posts, read 287,279 times
We lived on Riverside Drive on the Upper West Side.

The styles were quite formal by today's standards. My father who worked in Midtown wore a suit, tie and hat every day. In winter he added an overcoat. For shopping in the area, my mother and grandmother did not get particularly dressed up (although indoors they always wore "housedresses"). But when they went to Midtown, they put on their hats and gloves -- and so did we girls! This was in the mid to late 50s.

Very few people had air conditioning. We would go to the movies during a heat wave -- all the marquees had banners with icicles on them, with a sign saying they were air conditioned. And at home, we turned off lights, opened windows for cross ventilation, and turned on a floor fan.

There wasn't even a supermarket in the neighborhood, but rather a separate grocery (dry goods) store, bakery, butcher/ fishmonger, deli, and so on.

That neighborhood west of Broadway looks much the same to me today; Broadway however is now a shopping mall with all the same stores you find everywhere-- plus lots of supermarkets!

Old 09-08-2015, 09:25 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have been watching reruns of the old television show "The Naked City" on MeTv and am loving seeing so many outdoor shots of Manhattan during the 1950's. For those that don't know the series it was the one that coined phrase "there are eight million stories......." a reference to the population of NYC at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIA_PtIZfc

One episode last week showed the old The New York Coliseum on Columbus Circle that has since been torn down for the Time Warner Building.

It is interesting to see how much of "old" New York was still around especially Midtown and Far West Side. Tenement and old brownstone blocks long since demolished for skyscrapers and other buildings. The 65th Precinct as named in series actually is Bronxville which was used for some exterior shots but the precinct as used in the series was the 18th (Mid-Town North) 306 West 54th Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenues. Back then this area was smack dab IIRC in Hell's Kitchen which was then still very much Irish. This probably accounts for so many of the NYPD officers and others having thick Irish accents. *LOL*
there were no midwest hipsters polluting the boroughs.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:40 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,528 times
I was born in NYC at the end of the decade, so I can't relate anything from personal experience. My parents had moved to NYC mid-decade. I do remember my mom once saying that she loved the 50s, but I don't remember any stories, other than the cheap rent, even accounting for inflation.

Here are some things that I would have liked to have experienced
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stork_Club
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toots_Shor's_Restaurant
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/52nd_S...28Manhattan%29
Remembering the amazing 1950 Rangers - New York Rangers - History

Old 09-09-2015, 06:43 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I can tell you that's a '57 Ford.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:29 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
My understanding in entirely theoretical but - I can say, New York was an enormously creative place in the 1940s and 1950s. Abex and so much more.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:32 AM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Yes, but people made vastly less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
I can tell you rents were cheaper

Old 09-09-2015, 09:38 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
No topless men or women in public.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:42 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
My understanding in entirely theoretical but - I can say, New York was an enormously creative place in the 1940s and 1950s. Abex and so much more.
I have a feeling about this too. The 50s was also the era of the beatniks, the hipsters of their day.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatnik

I imagine beatniks, or the real authors and artists of the Beat Generation, in coffee houses actually talking about things, rather than being glued to their computers and smartphones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City