Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 04:25 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times

Advertisements

I'm an Economist and I would LOVE it if even the lowest down the totem pole would make $15 an hour as we all sang Kumbaya together. In reality, though, this is not possible. Well, it is always possible for government to set such a wage floor, but that does not mean that what they intend to happen, will indeed happen.

This is what I predict will take place if a $15 an hour minimum wage is indeed passed in NYC.

1. Fast food joints will push for automation. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to take an order. As has happened in Seattle (a city which recently passed a min wage of $15 an hour), booths at which patrons can place orders will be put up. Paying someone $8.50 an hour may be worth it to take orders, but at a certain point, it will be cheaper to buy and maintain "order booths". Thus, jobs will be lost.

2. Fast food joints will go back to hiring college students and even recent grads (and the uneducated will complain about it). Why pay street trash with no education $15 an hour when college students would be happy to do the work for such a wage. This will drive the poor and uneducated OUT of the few jobs they qualify for.

3. Less jobs. Less jobs will be available as fewer individuals and chains will be willing to open businesses in the city.

4. Inflation. With higher incomes comes higher prices and rents which will eventually negate the increased minimum wage.

5. The lucky few will be better off. As with rent controls, the lucky few will be better off with a better wage, not that they necessarily deserve it. Those who would have moved on to bigger and better things, may not, as they are paid an unnaturally high wage. This may even stunt their growth. I like to call this the "golden handcuffs effect".

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 04:34 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I'm an Economist and I would LOVE it if even the lowest down the totem pole would make $15 an hour as we all sang Kumbaya together. In reality, though, this is not possible. Well, it is always possible for government to set such a wage floor, but that does not mean that what they intend to happen, will indeed happen.

This is what I predict will take place if a $15 an hour minimum wage is indeed passed in NYC.

1. Fast food joints will push for automation. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to take an order. As has happened in Seattle (a city which recently passed a min wage of $15 an hour), booths at which patrons can place orders will be put up. Paying someone $8.50 an hour may be worth it to take orders, but at a certain point, it will be cheaper to buy and maintain "order booths". Thus, jobs will be lost.

2. Fast food joints will go back to hiring college students and even recent grads (and the uneducated will complain about it). Why pay street trash with no education $15 an hour when college students would be happy to do the work for such a wage. This will drive the poor and uneducated OUT of the few jobs they qualify for.

3. Less jobs. Less jobs will be available as fewer individuals and chains will be willing to open businesses in the city.

4. Inflation. With higher incomes comes higher prices and rents which will eventually negate the increased minimum wage.

5. The lucky few will be better off. As with rent controls, the lucky few will be better off with a better wage, not that they necessarily deserve it. Those who would have moved on to bigger and better things, may not, as they are paid an unnaturally high wage. This may even stunt their growth. I like to call this the "golden handcuffs effect".

What are your thoughts?

Thoughts need a crystal ball here.

Nobody ever knows what will happen with anything.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:38 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
I don't think I agree with the minimum wage being raised to $15 but your post comes off as condescending. Referring to people as "street trash"? Also, fast food can be a very difficult job, thankfully I don't work in it anymore but it was a lot of work/stress for minimum wage.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:47 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
No crystal balls exist on Wall Street either, but a lot of money exchanges hands based on "predictions." The predictions here make sense to me though.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:26 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Mandating a "Living Wage" for all jobs is a complete fallacy. Not all jobs should be living wage, some jobs are just meant for high school kids or no-education simpletons. If you can't make it on one no-skill job then the solution since the beginning of time is multiple jobs

Old 09-12-2015, 05:59 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Mandating a "Living Wage" for all jobs is a complete fallacy. Not all jobs should be living wage, some jobs are just meant for high school kids or no-education simpletons. If you can't make it on one no-skill job then the solution since the beginning of time is multiple jobs
Or move somewhere with a lower cost of living.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:12 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post

What are your thoughts?
At least you have the balls to go online with hard predictions. Let's revisit this space in a year and see how you do.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
At least you have the balls to go online with hard predictions. Let's revisit this space in a year and see how you do.
That's kind of what I meant.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:31 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
From what i gather based on your words you're actually a terrible person.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:40 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
I just don't get how some people are so angry/focused on low wage workers, and union workers when the 0.1% are bleeding us all dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City