Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 11:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I wont get into a back and forth debate with you over it but I can tell you that what I said is very true. I grew up in the "hood" and have seen it happen countless times. I would quote these things I've heard from blacks to other blacks regarding "acting white" for speaking proper english instead of ghetto slang but it will probably get me banned on this site.

Just because it didnt happen to YOU doesnt mean it doesnt happen.
And just because you saw it doesn't mean that represents all Blacks or even most Blacks in the hood in the 21st CENTURY!

Contrary to what you're saying many Blacks do want their kids to move up socioeconomically and it does happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 12:27 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And just because you saw it doesn't mean that represents all Blacks or even most Blacks in the hood in the 21st CENTURY!

Contrary to what you're saying many Blacks do want their kids to move up socioeconomically and it does happen.
Never said it represents ALL blacks living in the hood in the 21st century, but it IS an an issue nonetheless.

I'm also sure that many blacks want their children to move up the ladder and do better in life. Unfortunately for many of these children, they've been dealt a bad hand from birth. Its truly sad.

Like I previously stated, I grew up in/arounds the projects from childhood till my late 20's. I knew I wanted better and worked towards it. Many of my friends and people I grew up with chose different paths and till this day are still on the same block, doing the same things, talking about the same nonsense! I left that neighborhood 8yrs ago and still come around from time to time. I'll get the usual.."Yo whats up? You look like you're doing good player!" I'll also get the "oh look who it is. This dude thinks he too good for us. Go back to your white neighborhood". Of course they say that last comment in a joking manner but I know deep down inside that's how they truly feel.

Many people (especially those from the "hood") often make bad choices in life due to poverty and frustration. It's a fact though that many of these same people hate to see their peers succeed and progress in life while they remain stagnant. Yes there are some good people who like to see someone make it out the "hood" and make something of themselves. There's also many more who dont! That's a fact!

Old 10-02-2015, 01:14 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
I understand both sides BUT this is why integration should happen not separation or creation and push away, etc.

Brooklyn hipsters fight school de-segregation: They
I went back to the original article and read the 1st few paragraphs. Apparently the good school (PS 8) is currently overcrowded...whats the solution for that problem? For the new families that moved to the area and did not do their homework (no pun intended), I guess the overcrowding of their then zone school at the time was not an issue?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-02-2015, 03:00 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I went back to the original article and read the 1st few paragraphs. Apparently the good school (PS 8) is currently overcrowded...whats the solution for that problem? For the new families that moved to the area and did not do their homework (no pun intended), I guess the overcrowding of their then zone school at the time was not an issue?
Some people want it all.

They want to live in the greatest city in the world.

They want kids.

They want to live a progressive, holier than thou lifestyle without having to conform to those same progressive standards.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:22 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Education is a cultural trait. Cultural trait is not synonymous with ethnic or racial trait.

Wanting your children to do better is not the same thing as doing everything in your power to make that happen. Are there historic and socioeconomic reasons that make it very difficult for black parents in the hood from providing a great education for their children? Of course. It must be immeasurably tough raising your kids in the hood where there are no positive role models in terms of education for kids.

A parent in the hood needs to give everything they have and put their children's education first. Do most do that? I doubt that.

I'm Jewish and education is just a cultural part of being Jewish. Education is pushed just for the sake of it sometimes. My family was from the Soviet Union and even though higher education didn't lead to wealth or a higher standard of living in the Soviet Union, Jewish families still pushed it on their kids.

I'm getting my masters. My brother, aunt, and fiancee also have a masters degree. It's just part of the culture.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:37 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Education is a cultural trait. Cultural trait is not synonymous with ethnic or racial trait.

Wanting your children to do better is not the same thing as doing everything in your power to make that happen. Are there historic and socioeconomic reasons that make it very difficult for black parents in the hood from providing a great education for their children? Of course. It must be immeasurably tough raising your kids in the hood where there are no positive role models in terms of education for kids.

A parent in the hood needs to give everything they have and put their children's education first. Do most do that? I doubt that.

I'm Jewish and education is just a cultural part of being Jewish. Education is pushed just for the sake of it sometimes. My family was from the Soviet Union and even though higher education didn't lead to wealth or a higher standard of living in the Soviet Union, Jewish families still pushed it on their kids.

I'm getting my masters. My brother, aunt, and fiancee also have a masters degree. It's just part of the culture.
Did your family flee the Soviet Union as refugees. I know plenty of Jews that left Soviet Union with refugee status.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:33 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Did your family flee the Soviet Union as refugees. I know plenty of Jews that left Soviet Union with refugee status.
Yes. I still have my original "green card" (it was paper and white actually with a handwritten A no.) that said "STATELESS" under home country. lol When we boarded the train in the Soviet Union towards Poland, the Soviet authorities confiscated our passports.

From the time we left (me and my brother were under 3 and my parents were only in their late 20's) it took us about 8 months until we boarded a plane to the US.
We went through Poland, Czeckoslovakia, Austria, Italy, and then to the US. No cell phones or internet. Very little money. Couldn't speak any fo the foreign languages.

White folks can be refugees as well.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:48 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Some people want it all.

They want to live in the greatest city in the world.

They want kids.

They want to live a progressive, holier than thou lifestyle without having to conform to those same progressive standards.
Guilty as charged, we also hate the dang ice cream truck song.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:23 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
A solution is for the dumbo yup sterling families to send their kids to the bad school where there is lots of space and take over the pta. It's a strategy that worked elsewhere in Brooklyn and should not be too hard to copy.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

I personally know mobster Jewish people and ghetto Jewish people right here in NYC, and other subgroups of Jewish people who quite clearly do not value education. The ones in organized crime tend to hide behind owning stores, restaurants, or bars (have to explain where the money comes from to the government).

So clearly being Jewish does not mean you speak for or represent all Jewish people. Nobody can do that for a race or a religion.

Back to the hood, so now you speak for and make representations for what people in the hood do and what kinds of resources they have? Wow!

Contrary to popular belief many people in the hood do work. Some even have good enough jobs to buy houses or co-ops in the hood. Some even make enough money to send their kids to religious private schools in the hood. And yes a number of them do go to college.

Go to ANY CUNY campuses and you'll see large numbers of minority kids who are from hoods studying to get their degrees.

Is this everyone from the hood? By all means no. But there definitely is social mobility from the hood and people do move up and out. And over the years it isn't a rare thing to happen. Many famous people from Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor were born in hoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City