Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 07:57 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times

Advertisements

It's unfortunate that in order to lower the prices they have to cut jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 07:59 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Whole Foods is losing $$$ because they have gone downhill in many ways.

Recently, to cite just one example, they simply discontinued an entire line of vitamins without offering alternatives or explaining anything to their workers on the floor.

One of the store workers told me that they had been removed for "redesign in packaging" - not a change in the product, mind you, but a stupid branding thing. I would contribute that the person in "corporate" who decided that was a good idea should be fired, and pronto. I called the regional office and was told the items were in stock but the stores were not ordering them. In the end, the national office admitted, finally, that the line had been discontinued. Many phone calls, lots of run-around, little competence. I did learn from several store workers that Whole Foods corporate is "simply awful" (and I quote).

It is no longer a competently run company, which does not bode well for the future. There is also an air of desperation.

I would suggest that they are not offering cheaper options because they want to expand their market and appear less elite, but because they are broke and the profit margin is larger.
They might have overexpanded a tad methinks. But anyway they are a corporation and the MO for most corporations is that bottom line and keeping shareholders happy. So it's not surprising to me...

Old 09-30-2015, 08:13 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
They might have overexpanded a tad methinks. But anyway they are a corporation and the MO for most corporations is that bottom line and keeping shareholders happy. So it's not surprising to me...
Oh, I was not suggesting that it is surprising at all.
The shareholders certainly do still get paid - this is the foundation of a value-extractive economy.
Value creation is irrelevant or even an impediment.

Not sustainable of course but there is little understanding or concern regarding that.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:21 PM

814 posts, read 911,629 times
Last time I was at Whole Foods I parked my Powestroke Diesel between a Prius and Saab owner and just laughed.

Never in my life have I seen a store celebrate pretentious douche bag as much as Whole Foods does. I dont see the hype in Trendy Supermarkets when a Publix or a Giant or a Food Lion has groceries too.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
How dumb is recommending reading THEIR latest report (about themselves).
Speaking of incoherence.

In no way does WF carry "too much inventory." They are out of absolutely everything most of the time as anyone who actually shops there is fully aware. If anything, they may carry too much inventory of the things nobody wants, while also somehow being unable to understand what people want and would buy. This speaks of poor leadership and incompetent management, again, things that do not bode well.

Finally, most of my orientation is based in conversations with people who actually work there. For now.
Cashiers or other people in retail don't necessarily see the full picture of the overall corporate operations and are certainly not the people to be able to assess financial reports.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Has anyone played grand theft auto 5? The game makes fun of pretentious trendish current fads like whole food parodies, Apple iPhone and being a suburban transplant, wasp elitist and so forth. The game is on point with these parodies. The whole food parody is called grain of truth. They say do you want food is organic, sustainable, farm to table, gluten free, locally raised, makes you feel good about yourself, makes you feel superior to others, enjoy being overpriced food. Buy food from grain of truth. It is real funny. They also make fun of yoga pants. But to be honest this country makes a big deal for and against elitism.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Has anyone played grand theft auto 5? The game makes fun of pretentious trendish current fads like whole food parodies, Apple iPhone and being a suburban transplant, wasp elitist and so forth. The game is on point with these parodies. The whole food parody is called grain of truth. They say do you want food is organic, sustainable, farm to table, gluten free, locally raised, makes you feel good about yourself, makes you feel superior to others, enjoy being overpriced food. Buy food from grain of truth. It is real funny. They also make fun of yoga pants. But to be honest this country makes a big deal for and against elitism.
Please everyone likes IPhone that is the phone with the biggest marketshare. Aside from Iphone there is Samsung and LG and almost anyone one else has ridiculously low marketshare.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:16 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's unfortunate that in order to lower the prices they have to cut jobs.

Let's keep tabs and see if any of us notice any of these fanciful "lower prices."

Old 10-01-2015, 04:19 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
How dumb is recommending reading THEIR latest report (about themselves).
Speaking of incoherence.

In no way does WF carry "too much inventory." They are out of absolutely everything most of the time as anyone who actually shops there is fully aware. If anything, they may carry too much inventory of the things nobody wants, while also somehow being unable to understand what people want and would buy. This speaks of poor leadership and incompetent management, again, things that do not bode well.

Finally, most of my orientation is based in conversations with people who actually work there. For now.
It's their 10-K. Every publicly traded company is mandated to file one by the SEC. Lying isn't really an option on these for legit companies; obfuscating and omitting is but that's where analyses comes in.

People that work there only work in a few stores in a specific geographic area.

Carrying too much inventory in inherently means carrying too much of what's not really popular. The popular, high volume goods always tend to have too little inventory by nature.
One of the major problems with WF's is that each store/regional manager can order whatever they want. In one sense that's good because it gets inventory into stores which otherwise would never make it in. On the other hand, without too much accountability, store and regional managers will buy virtually anything without too much evaluation.

The grocery business has changed a lot in only the last decade so like any major, established business, WF's has to tweak it's model to be competitive. They're still a very good business with a very good model.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:24 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
If the Iphone is a fad then Ford or GM is a fad as well.

Organic's not a fad either. I'm not a big organic person either but that's only because I don't have that big of a disposable income.

People that tend to eat a healthier diet live longer. It's really that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City