Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 05:24 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlingtothemoon View Post
when did i say myself? i am not a traffic enforcement agent but i know someone who is he only makes 29 thousand a year with having to pay rent having to pay utilities living in manhattan do you honestly think 29 thousand is enough to support yourself??
YES I do. I make 25K a year and again as I stated above don't need food stamps and can but healthy organic food.
I pay rent, bills, food, transportation etc just like your friend on 4K less a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 05:25 PM

73 posts, read 57,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
YES I do. I make 25K a year and again as I stated above don't need food stamps and can but healthy organic food.
I pay rent, bills, food, transportation etc just like your friend on 4K less a month.
how do you do it?????
serious advice needed

Old 09-30-2015, 05:30 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,416 times
Quote:
when did i say myself? i am not a traffic enforcement agent but i know someone who is he only makes 29 thousand a year with having to pay rent having to pay utilities living in manhattan do you honestly think 29 thousand is enough to support yourself??

once again i pay taxes too you aren't the only one and i cannot stand people who act the way you do as i told another user you don't know someone's financial situation you have no idea whether i have to or whomever has to pay for a monthly medical insurance which runs you almost 300 a month,you have no idea if i or whomever has to support an ill family member.

you have plenty of people on food stamps who instead of buying actual food will sit there and cash them so don't judge someone who actually does need them.
Wait a minute. I can almost guarantee that you and your friend are Obama voters. If I'm wrong it still doesn't matter. They fed us a line of bull**** that EVERYONE would be covered no matter what. So why would his healthcare be an issue? He should be more then taken care of. In fact, Obama said the sea levels would stop rising and a bunch of other nonsense. You had that woman on national television crying telling us " omg, my mortgage will be taken care of, gas in my car etc etc" lol, I just love all you entitlement morons.

Tell your "friend" to get a second job, learn to budget, or wake the f*ck up and move the hell out of this city. Plenty of places he could live decently and not struggle. You live in America for God's sake not Bangladesh. Half the third world comes here and makes things happen somehow. Yet your "friend" expects baked cookies and lollipops off my back? Take a walk....

Old 09-30-2015, 05:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
How much do you pay in rent?

Old 09-30-2015, 05:40 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,616 times
Quote:
I would like to live on top of Cinderella's castle in Disney World, but I need to live in a place that is realistic and affordable for myself. Asking other people to subsidize my lifestyle wouldn't be fair. Tell your "friend" to take her traffic enforcement experience and move to a place that she can afford. Other cities don't have traffic enforcement?

Old 09-30-2015, 06:18 PM

493 posts, read 511,737 times
I don't understand why people get so offended by someone on food stamps. My taxes aren't going to be that much less if you aren't on it. The program is part of our system and most western countries have a program similar to it. Plus, I rather no child or old person is this country ever go hungry. I don't even know how they do it. I spend 700-800 a month on food I couldn't imagine getting the quality I want for much less than that.
However, if your friend is working and makes too much they may need to learn to budget properly.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:32 PM

73 posts, read 57,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
I don't understand why people get so offended by someone on food stamps. My taxes aren't going to be that much less if you aren't on it. The program is part of our system and most western countries have a program similar to it. Plus, I rather no child or old person is this country ever go hungry. I don't even know how they do it. I spend 700-800 a month on food I couldn't imagine getting the quality I want for much less than that.
However, if your friend is working and makes too much they may need to learn to budget properly.
thank you!!!!!

Old 09-30-2015, 08:21 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,987 times
Quote:
how do you do it?????
serious advice needed
I budget well. By things on sale and don't buy what I don't need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
How much do you pay in rent?
$1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
I don't get offended by people who need to be on food stamps. I know people who are. If you work hard and still don't make enough by all means get assistance. But when you make double the amount then what is allowed and say you can't afford food then something is wrong. You are not managing your money well. Makes me wonder what are you spending your money on that you really don't need?

Old 10-01-2015, 04:33 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,353,597 times
Quote:
because honestly you tell me 167 dollars for one month is truly enough to feed yourself?
I could easily feed myself on $167/month. When I was unemployed, my husband and I probably spent about $200-$250/month on food combined and we weren't just eating rice and beans.

Quote:
I can't afford to live in Manhattan so I don't. There was a time when I was unemployed and my husband supported us both on less than 50K. And that included paying rent, utilities, a student loan payment and yes, even keeping our car.

I'm not against food stamps/food banks. I just don't agree with all of your points. Yeah, maybe I wouldn't have the greatest life making 30K but I could definitely live off of that.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:14 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
Quote:

because honestly you tell me 167 dollars for one month is truly enough to feed yourself?
No, and it's really not meant to be. It's called SUPPLEMENTAL meaning it's not meant to be your entire budget. It's to help boost your food budget not be your food budget

That being said, I do not receive any form of government aid and feed myself and a man for around $200 a month. It's called shopping the flyers, making filling yet healthy meals that stretch. And most importantly doing some actual cooking, not popping an Encore meal in the oven. Processed foods are crap and frankly, it's cheaper more often than not to make it yourself. A pot of chili can make 4 or more meals and cost around $8 to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City