Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 12:55 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramafreelyfe View Post
So, one way or another gentrification is going to hit East New York. So, what's left after that? How far can this process go, Canarsie? I mean, what's left? The suburbs of Canarsie? Flatlands? Starret City? I think, it's preordained-by the powers that be and greed. Once Brooklyn rivals Manhattan, there's going to be no choice but to gentrify the whole Brooklyn, like Manhattan. We are witnessing the future of NYC, right before our very own eyes.
I don't think ENY will have any gentrification anytime soon unless Brooklyn becomes a major hub that rivals Manhattan. ENY might attract those looking for an affordable option to live in NYC. Actually people who got priced out of immediate areas of Brooklyn relocate to ENY and Carnasie Brooklyn. Also ENY is far from job centers of Manhattan and may only serve those who work in service industries that are in Manhattan or immediate areas of Brooklyn that are near Manhattan. Overall prices may go up, but I don't think gentrification or elements of gentrification will ever pass Broadway Junction, Utica and the multiple church avenues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 12:56 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Brownsville gentrifying?
Had to of been a typo. No one can really think that.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:57 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
These areas will eventually gentrify, but it will take a LONG time. I mean, Canarsie is practically suburban. It's soooo far from where hipsters/yuppies want to live. Closer in, around Broadway Junction, yeah, that will gentrify (it might already be gentrifying somewhat). Bed Stuy and Brownsville are gentrifying like crazy and ENY is the next neighborhood out.
Did you slip and fall somewhere?

Old 10-20-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Brownsville gentrifying?
Nola probably means Bushwick.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:09 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Brownsville gentrifying?
Oops, I meant Bushwick, sorry! Bushwick is gentrifying like crazy.

Brownsville isn't yet gentrifying, but it is improving. Probably 5-10 years from what most people consider gentrification.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
First let's wait and see if Bushwick, Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights gentrify first. So far they've just went from super ghetto status to regular ghetto status.
All three areas have tons of gentrification. They are all very expensive.

You cannot get an decent-sized, intact Bed Stuy house for less than 1.5. Even far east Bed Stuy, closer to Broadway Junction, it just isn't going to happen. I know, because I'm in the market right now, and I can't find anything (yet) that's decent and in my price range.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Oops, I meant Bushwick, sorry! Bushwick is gentrifying like crazy.

Brownsville isn't yet gentrifying, but it is improving. Probably 5-10 years from what most people consider gentrification.
I was just in Bushwick and Bed Stuy this weekend visiting a relative. I can not say the area is gentry at all and is still very hood Maybe Western Bedstuy and Western Bushwick is gentrifying like crazy due to proximity of Williamsburg?

Old 10-20-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I was just in Bushwick and Bed Stuy this weekend visiting a relative. I can not say the area is gentry at all and is still very hood Maybe Western Bedstuy and Western Bushwick is gentrifying like crazy due to proximity of Williamsburg?
I think we are defining gentrification differently.

To be blunt, I think you're defining an area based on whether you see "hood" type people. Usually lower income native New Yorkers, often (but not always) African American or Puerto Rican, often (but not always) living in housing projects.

I would define gentrification based on housing prices, the incoming stores, restaurants and services, and the population trends in a community.

So is Bed Stuy gentrified? Using the first definition, definitely no. Using the second definition, definitely yes.

I see plenty of "hood" in Midtown Manhattan. Does that mean that Midtown isn't gentrified? There's no "hood" in Bensonhurst. But I don't think Bensonhurst is remotely gentrified. Bed Stuy will always have some lower income types even if homes cost $20 million instead of $2 million because the poor in NYC don't live in market rate housing anyways.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:19 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,713,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
As NOLA said, in those side streets along Bushwick ave, near the J train. The houses are legit going for $1.5-3 million. Its pretty crazy actually, especially since even proximity to Manhattan is rather questionable.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
First let's wait and see if Bushwick, Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights gentrify first. So far they've just went from super ghetto status to regular ghetto status.
Exactly. Bedsuty, Bushwick, and Crown Heights are still ghetto (just not super ghetto) and if the whites who moved in moved up socioeconomically they will leave for better places. Many of them will leave the city in a few years (to be replaced by other recent graduates and NYU, New School, and other college students who can't afford to live closer to where they go to school).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City