Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 09:52 AM

311 posts, read 292,801 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
Do you think that I can find a nice 1 bedroom apt in a good (i.e safe at night and clean) neighborhood in Brooklyn for that price?
If so, where do you recommend?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 10:13 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Depends on which neighborhoods, but yes they do exist. Where do you need to commute to, what are your restraints, etc? You won't find that price in Brooklyn Heights, but I know you can get it in Midwood, Bath Beach, etc which are safe, clean, good neighborhoods from my experience.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:23 AM

650 posts, read 2,518,030 times
Yes (even parts that will net a 2BR). In your case, Bay Ridge is a good option.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:35 AM

311 posts, read 292,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Depends on which neighborhoods, but yes they do exist. Where do you need to commute to, what are your restraints, etc? You won't find that price in Brooklyn Heights, but I know you can get it in Midwood, Bath Beach, etc which are safe, clean, good neighborhoods from my experience.
I would like to commute to donwtown Brooklyn and lower Manhattan in under 1h.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:02 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Pretty much everywhere in southern Brooklyn would work. Be wary of the west half of Sunset Park, Coney Island west of Luna Park, around the Gravesend projects, and a little bit of Sheepshead Bay. I personally like the east side of Sunset Park where it's more Chinese, but really you can't go wrong. Bay Ridge will appeal the most to you if you're not from NYC, but do go to Midwood for Di Fara pizza. Hamilton Parkway has some beautiful residences too. Always a pleasure driving down to see my friends in Brighton Beach.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:34 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,938 times
For a closer commute, see what you can find in Prospect Heights, near the 2,3 station at Grand Army Plaza. I haven't looked at PH prices this year, but last year it'd have been within reach for your budget. Don't limit your search to reconverted brownstones. Look also at older big box elevator buildings there, but read up on the building management at YELP by address, or read up on complaints (by address) to Dept of Buildings.

Look around Underhill, Sterling, St. Johns near Vanderbilt or Washington Aves.

You;d be near Eastern Parkway/Brooklyn Museum area and Grand Army Plaza, both served by the 3 that goes into lower Manhattan.

For pricing, reside west of Flatbush Ave, in other words, not true Park Slope ($$$).
Flatbush Ave divides Prospect Hts from Park Slope. On Flatbush/Sterling/7th Ave, there's a variety of stores, small restaurants, small supermarkets. You have a B, Q station to get to other parts of Manhattan well.

The walk between the Grand Army 2,3 and the Flatbush/7th Ave B,Q is only 3 blocks. So if you can find something walkable to both stations, you're in great shape. Grand Army's just a local stop, though.

If the prices there don't pan out for you, then try the westernmost neighborhood of Crown Heights, which is off Franklin Ave, close to and just north of Eastern Pkwy. On EPWay is an Express stop for the 3, 4 into Manhattan. Franklin is bigger for nightlife than Flatbush, with more bars and restaurants..but both of these main avenues have a variety of stores.

Plenty of single young people live in those neighborhoods, as well as families. You'd be closer in than Southern Brooklyn. You might have to scour to find an apartment, as I've described small areas, but your commute is more like 30 min than an hour.

To shave a budget and get into a closer neighborhood, have you considered an extra-large studio apartment, where you put up a screen divider around your bed...or does it have to be a true 1-BR?

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 10-26-2015 at 12:57 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 04:17 PM

650 posts, read 2,518,030 times
Prospect Heights is not in that budget in today's price, might even be a stretch for western Crown Heights.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:58 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
I'm in Midwood and my commute is 35-45 mins to the Financial District.

Bensonhurst, Bath Beach, Ditmas Park, Sunset Park, Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights should all have something in your budget. My area also.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:30 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Yesterday I took the R from Bay Ridge Ave to Barclays. Took about fifteen minutes, at most. I actually stayed on the R because if I transferred to the N/D it would have only been ten minutes and I didn't want to get to the game too early.

My friend took over my previous apartment. I think his rent is about $1400/month now but it's a big one bedroom and has a daytime doorman. He's only a five minute walk from the train. Very easy to find a one bedroom apartment here for less than $1600/month, as well as many of the neighborhoods listed by others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City