Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 01:46 AM

32,029 posts, read 27,231,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Blue Bottle on Berry St. in Brooklyn has a huge wall of interconnected beakers for cold brewing. A coffee-loving friend from California asked especially to see it, so we went. When she saw it, she got all verklempt, like Linda Richman. I thought the coffee tasted pretty good.

From that store's website: "We are roasting coffee on a vintage Probat roaster, and serving coffee on a variety of interesting devices: Oji-style iced coffee drippers, a custom Slayer espresso machine, and perhaps the longest and most theatrical drip bar on the eastern seaboard."

There's a funny scene in GhostBusters: customers flee from a Starbucks, escaping into another Starbucks across the street.
Believe it or not many Starbucks locations are in "trouble". No small number of leases for Manhattan stores were negotiated long enough ago they are coming up for renewal. Suffice to say even Starbucks has limits on what can or will pay for rent.

The SB on East 81st and Second vacated that long held corner to go one block down to 80th. Smaller store with no second floor but rent is more FWIU but less than what the old location wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 08:42 AM

88,853 posts, read 85,259,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
You have to heat the water before you put it in the french press. Did you use it right?
No you don't. I followed the instructions that came with the device. You plug it in and it heats the water. Why would you have to heat the water and then have the thing heat it more? Doesn't make sense. My percolator is sounding better and better.

To be clear, this is what we are talking about. This was what I had, only it was bright green.

Look closely. You pour the COLD water in the one side. When it gets heated by the element in the device, it transfers to the other side. Once it's all in there, I think you had to wait five minutes or something and then press the plunger thing down. The carafe (on the left in this picture) comes away and has a handle so you can use it as a big plastic coffee cup. It's been a while so I don't remember the exact process, but at best, the coffee is sorta hot but not really. The plastic thinger attached to the plunger contraption cracked after two weeks and I had to tape it. I finally said forget this and tossed it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-E...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-29-2015 at 08:50 AM..

Old 10-29-2015, 10:20 AM

20,549 posts, read 17,802,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
I was in Penn Station last week, and decided I needed a cup of coffee, before the train. After walking up and down the gallery, decided to abandon station and go outside in search of. Greek deli, 7th Av, directly across the street from MSG, got a good small coffee for $1.35. Did the trick. Starbucks, etc. eat your heart out.

You're not Starbuck's target customer, they don't miss you.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:01 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,290,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
All of these people suggesting you make coffee at home are annoying. Most people drink coffee at work, doubt OP wants to head home every time he needs coffee.
There's this little invention called a thermos...

Old 10-29-2015, 06:03 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,290,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No you don't. I followed the instructions that came with the device. You plug it in and it heats the water. Why would you have to heat the water and then have the thing heat it more? Doesn't make sense. My percolator is sounding better and better.

To be clear, this is what we are talking about. This was what I had, only it was bright green.

Look closely. You pour the COLD water in the one side. When it gets heated by the element in the device, it transfers to the other side. Once it's all in there, I think you had to wait five minutes or something and then press the plunger thing down. The carafe (on the left in this picture) comes away and has a handle so you can use it as a big plastic coffee cup. It's been a while so I don't remember the exact process, but at best, the coffee is sorta hot but not really. The plastic thinger attached to the plunger contraption cracked after two weeks and I had to tape it. I finally said forget this and tossed it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-E...ct_top?ie=UTF8
This is a different kind of device and not the typical non electric french press I was referring to.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:37 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,259,156 times
I'm thinking that if you want to drink coffee made with a french press with milk, you have to heat the milk or you end up with lukewarm coffee, yuck.

I have a french press which has been sitting unused on my shelf for a long time; we use a moka pot which is very nice and actually better than a percolator since it doesn't boil the coffee over and over and wash out the flavor. I think I might try the french press again with hot milk just to see if there's a significant difference.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:56 PM

32,029 posts, read 27,231,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
I'm thinking that if you want to drink coffee made with a french press with milk, you have to heat the milk or you end up with lukewarm coffee, yuck.

I have a french press which has been sitting unused on my shelf for a long time; we use a moka pot which is very nice and actually better than a percolator since it doesn't boil the coffee over and over and wash out the flavor. I think I might try the french press again with hot milk just to see if there's a significant difference.
Myself and most of family/friends always heat milk or half/half for tea or coffee. In fact in my travels around this country and Europe so do many others. Adding "steamed" or frothed hot milk to espresso coffee is pretty much the same thing.

Happily today we have microwaves so don't have to use a pan on stove to heat milk.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:04 AM

88,853 posts, read 85,259,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
This is a different kind of device and not the typical non electric french press I was referring to.
Ok. I didn't know there was another kind but I looked it up and saw what you were talking about.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:12 AM

25,424 posts, read 37,214,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
All of these people suggesting you make coffee at home are annoying. Most people drink coffee at work, doubt OP wants to head home every time he needs coffee.
What cheesy company doesn't provide coffee for it's workers?
(Is it a seasonal fruit picking operation?)

Old 10-30-2015, 08:53 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,268,297 times
I'm about to go to Starbucks to get my free birthday drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: