Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 06:30 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,603,910 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I'm assuming this is a joke?

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No he is serious. A lot of industrial jobs moved out of NYC and that helped create ghettoes. The city needed to replace these industries and so types of industries that expanded in NYC, among certain other big cities like SF,and LA were industries that required advanced educations. But due to financial reasons disproportionately you have fewer Blacks and Latinos with advanced degrees. So they cannot get hired for good jobs available in NYC despite being born here. So private firms for NYC, LA, SF, Boston, Chicago, import talent from elsewhere while the uneducated get displaced. And there are racial disparities in education.
I was talking about the part about "Shoshana".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 07:32 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,504,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
NYC has been one of, if not the most, expensive places to live in this country for some time now. You have ex-NYers spread out living all over this country. Go anywhere and you'll find someone that grew up in NYC. And even though they might not admit it, most cases they moved out of NYC because they could not afford to stay financially. They may say they couldn't wait to move out of NYC, and call it the pits or whatever, but in reality they likely had no choice.

And even in this current wave of gentrification, ethnic white and brown neighborhoods have been shredded apart at a much faster clip than black neighborhoods. Much faster. You really think more people have had to move out of Crown Heights than say Williamsburg? But the fact that it is now happening to black areas as well it is NYT worthy of reporting.
Uh, no. At least not here in Austin, Texas. Many people can afford NYC but who in the world would want a small row house on a rather nondescript street when they can get so much more here and the stress factor is lower? I live on a half acre for goodness sake. I have every conceivable amenity right outside of my subdivision. In addition, the work life balance is great - I work a standard workday and get to spend time with my kids. The affordability aspect is just a bonus, though I don't really consider Austin, Houston, or Dallas super affordable (unless you have a portable job paying a NE salary) any longer.

The problem is we are getting so many affluent transplants from the northeast the affordability factor is going the way of the dodo. I wish I could recommend Austin or the better suburbs to those who are working class. Ten years ago maybe. Not anymore. Forget about Crown Heights..$1300 is pushing it these days in Austin. The woman mentioned in the paper, Ms. De Matas, will be hard pressed to find affordable housing here. That's sad, really, and I mean this with sincerity. But this is the new reality. It's only a matter of time until many of the highly desirable areas of the South will price out lower income inhabitants. It's probably worse in the South because the housing prices are not lock step with salary anymore and there's the added issue of transit (the lack thereof). You need a car and the places where you supposedly don't need a car are NYC-level in terms of price (i.e. there are $3k-6k mo apartments in Houston, Dallas and Austin).

Last edited by riaelise; 11-29-2015 at 07:43 PM..

Old 11-29-2015, 08:07 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,884,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Uh, no. At least not here in Austin, Texas. Many people can afford NYC but who in the world would want a small row house on a rather nondescript street when they can get so much more here and the stress factor is lower?
The Atlantic recently went into great detail explaining why living in New York is far more superior than living in Texas. Of course, not everyone has been able to benefit from the increase consolidation of wealth in the major coastal cities (such as lower educated people being pushed aside to make way for more highly educated professionals).

Why the Economic Fates of America’s Cities Diverged

Quote:
Since 1980, the states and metro areas with the highest and fastest-growing per capita incomes have generally seen hardly, if any, net domestic in-migration, and in many notable examples have seen more people move away to other parts of the country than move in. Today, the preponderance of domestic migration is from areas with high and rapidly growing incomes to relatively poorer areas where incomes are growing at a slower pace, if at all.

What accounts for these anomalous and unpredicted trends? The first explanation many people cite is the decline of the Rust Belt, and certainly that played a role. According to data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis, in 1978, per capita income in metro Detroit was virtually identical to that in the metro New York area. Today, metro New York’s per-capita income is 38 percent higher than metro Detroit’s. But deindustrialization doesn’t explain why even in the Sunbelt, where many manufacturing jobs have relocated from the North, and where population and local GDP have boomed since the 1970s, per-capita income continues to fall farther and farther behind that of America’s elite coastal cities.

The Atlanta metro area is a notable example of a “thriving” place where per capita income has nonetheless fallen farther and farther behind that of cities like Washington, New York, and San Francisco. So is metro Houston. Per-capita income in metro Houston was 1 percent above metro New York’s in 1980. But despite the so-called “Texas miracle,” Houston’s per-capita income fell to 15 percent below New York’s by 2011 and even at the height of the oil boom in 2013 remained at 12 percent below. It’s largely the same story in the Mountain West, including in some of its most “booming” cities. Metro Salt Lake City, for example, has seen its per capita income fall well behind that of New York since 2001.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:07 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,245,944 times
Quote:
Many people can afford NYC but who in the world would want a small row house on a rather nondescript street when they can get so much more here and the stress factor is lower? I live on a half acre for goodness sake.
Me! I have no need for a large house or 1/2 acre of land.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:15 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,149,528 times
Quote:
Uh, no. At least not here in Austin, Texas. Many people can afford NYC but who in the world would want a small row house on a rather nondescript street when they can get so much more here and the stress factor is lower?
Maybe you want a subdivision, a yard that you have to maintain, and kids running around, but why assume everyone wants what you want? Obviously many people don't!

Old 11-29-2015, 08:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,737,452 times
Poor people are pushed out by developers more than anything. Developers are buying all parts of land near subways regardless who is living in them and pushing people out. Once people lose their Section 8 housing they have no alternative but to move and there are too many people on waiting list to get Section 8 housing that the city can't help everyone. There are plenty of land down in the rural parts of the country.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:27 PM

34,125 posts, read 47,349,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Williamsburg does retain some sort of its Italian past, every year during the summer, Italian Americans who once lived in Williamsburg celebrate a festival at an local catholic church which owners a patron saint. A group of 40 men carry a giant statue along a parade route with a band playing jazz on top of it.
I know about San Giglio. I've been before. I would appreciate it if you answered my question in the post that you responded to.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-29-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
The Atlantic recently went into great detail explaining why living in New York is far more superior than living in Texas. Of course, not everyone has been able to benefit from the increase consolidation of wealth in the major coastal cities (such as lower educated people being pushed aside to make way for more highly educated professionals).

Why the Economic Fates of America’s Cities Diverged
"Far more superior"? It depends on who you are talking to. Per capita income aside, the median household income for NYC is $50k, which is right on par with Austin's. The incomes are rising in large part due to the influx of newcomers and many college grads choosing to stay in Texas. The difference is that housing (at least a few years ago) isn't (or wasn't) so out of whack with wages. Listen, there are differences, living here. Texas has a distinct culture and some can take it, and some don't. Also, I'm not lambasting NYC, considering I was born and raised there for 28 years.

I just don't buy into most NYers moving because they couldn't hack it financially in NYC. I moved because my husband is a Texan. Anything else was incidental. But I'm not going to deny that I like the life that I've made here. It would be a good thing if people would stop moving south so that the housing can actually stay affordable but what can you do.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Maybe you want a subdivision, a yard that you have to maintain, and kids running around, but why assume everyone wants what you want? Obviously many people don't!
Actually, we don't personally maintain the yard.

But I'm not assuming anything. Whatever I state is based on the words of the many people who move here. And even then, I'm specifically speaking of those who also want a suburban lifestyle, as there are many (often single and/or without children) who live in the central city and desire a more urban lifestyle (which is not really urban either). What I said is basically word for word what I hear. When people from the NE rattle off their wish lists, they inevitably ask for "large(er)" yard, large(er) house, and excellent school district."

Old 11-29-2015, 08:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,149,528 times
Quote:
Actually, we don't personally maintain the yard.

But I'm not assuming anything. Whatever I state is based on the words of the many people who move here. And even then, I'm specifically speaking of those who also want a suburban lifestyle, as there are many (often single and/or without children) who live in the central city and desire a more urban lifestyle (which is not really urban either). What I said is basically word for word what I hear. When people from the NE rattle off their wish lists, they inevitably ask for "large(er)" yard, large(er) house, and excellent school district."
Sorry, I guess I wasn't following the thread closely enough to see you were only talking about people who had already moved out of NYC.

If I ever end up somewhere with a yard, I also hope that I will have the extra income to pay someone else to do the maintenance. I have no interest in mowing, trimming bushes, pulling weeds, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City