Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 08:09 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,946,711 times

Advertisements

For anyone else who might be interested, another link explaining it more clearly.

Irish Gaelic | About World Languages

I do know someone who received a PhD in [gasp] Gaelic Literature.
I assume there were others with her. In fact, I know there were.

Simply stated, "Irish" is the English word for "Gaelic" in Ireland. Gaelic alone can mean Scottish or Irish Gaelic. As I pointed out already.

People need more to do. Or perhaps we should fear this.

There are too many trolls here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 08:46 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,563,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Rams View Post
What absolute nonsense. I am a black Republican. I believe in limited government. .

You know this is why "black Republicans" will never have credibility with most blacks.

1. They are obviously Uncle Toms who read from the same script. I don't even have to read the entirety of their comments to know what they will say. Same ranting coming from the Hannity book, read slavishly by a black stooge.

2. Quit the nonsense about the Democrats being the party of the KKK. Which party does David Duke support? Who do most of the white supremacists in 2015 endorse? The GOP of 2015 is NOT the GOP of 1865, or even 1960!

3. What is laughable about comments made by people like Keyes is how angry they are. How can the GOP win over blacks if they scream at us? And how dare does Hannity and company (who write the scripts peddled by the GOP Negroes), tell me what I experience as a black middle class professional.

4. Unending screaming about black "dysfunction", as if that has anything to do with me. Why not discuss a fact that black Ivy League MBAs earn LESS over time than their white counterparts? Oh, they cannot chatter about that because Hannity and O'Reilly don't know anything about the complexities of these black lives, as they cannot neatly be reduced into "black dysfunction".

I suggest that GOP Negroes are wasting their time. We only hear from them when they are screaming at blacks. If they hate us, we really don't care. Their ranting is mere noise, like a thunderstorm!

In 2015 blacks who earn $200k will vote for the Democratic candidate, just as the blacks who eke out $25k. Blame the GOP for this, because, guess what, ASIAN INDIANS, will also vote overwhelmingly for the Democrat, just as they did in 2008 and 2012, when over 80% supported Obama!

Old 01-28-2016, 08:52 PM

415 posts, read 515,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
For anyone else who might be interested, another link explaining it more clearly.

Irish Gaelic | About World Languages

I do know someone who received a PhD in [gasp] Gaelic Literature.
I assume there were others with her. In fact, I know there were.

Simply stated, "Irish" is the English word for "Gaelic" in Ireland. Gaelic alone can mean Scottish or Irish Gaelic. As I pointed out already.

People need more to do. Or perhaps we should fear this.

There are too many trolls here.
Zzzzzzzz

So, someone who points out your ignorance is a troll?

You can't even admit when you're wrong.

Quote:
Conversely, there is no "Irish Language." As in, at all.
Really?

One more time: Calling the Irish Language "Gaelic" is an offensive, outdated term from the English colonial -imperialism period of the Republic of Ireland.

I guarantee someone like you would never utter the word "negro", correct?

Old 01-29-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

I suggest that GOP Negroes are wasting their time. We only hear from them when they are screaming at blacks. If they hate us, we really don't care. Their ranting is mere noise, like a thunderstorm!

Well ... I would fundamentally agree in theory. But also suggest that this might be the case for everyone. Otherwise put - GOP non-negroes are also wasting their time.

And seriously, we know some quite confirmed black conservatives. Who are very smart people.
As is happens they are also wrong about everything but should we actually ostracize them for failing to adopt a more "black" point of view ?

It is my sense that we need to politicize the 'hood folk - as someone else pointed out, broadly speaking they do not have the interest or time - rather than focus on the profound paradox of black conservatives.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:52 AM

Just discovered the "ignore" function ! and using it.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:59 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,585,379 times
Quote:
Just discovered the "ignore" function ! and using it.
Citizenrich - take note. HR has found her "safe space"

Old 01-29-2016, 01:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,421,152 times
I know several Irish born in America: The Bronx, Westchester, Rockland. I have worked with them, hired them, and my brother's BIL is married to one.

And why would this place on Katonah Ave. Even exist if there were no Irish immigrating?

Emerald Isle Immigration Center, f. 1988,

"Emerald Isle Immigration Center (EIIC) provides a range of programs and services to immigrants residing in New York City, Irish nationals, and lawful permanent residents seeking to naturalize."

Emerald Isle Immigration Center | The Emerald Isle Immigration Center's highly qualified staff assists clients in many aspects of immigrant life and law. The EIIC prides itself on the extraordinary services it provides.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I know several Irish born in America: The Bronx, Westchester, Rockland. I have worked with them, hired them, and my brother's BIL is married to one.

And why would this place on Katonah Ave. Even exist if there were no Irish immigrating?

Emerald Isle Immigration Center, f. 1988,

"Emerald Isle Immigration Center (EIIC) provides a range of programs and services to immigrants residing in New York City, Irish nationals, and lawful permanent residents seeking to naturalize."

Emerald Isle Immigration Center | The Emerald Isle Immigration Center's highly qualified staff assists clients in many aspects of immigrant life and law. The EIIC prides itself on the extraordinary services it provides.
One more time:

There are literally a few persons from the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland who arrive in the United States each year for reasons such as job assignments (H1-b), some student Visa's and/or family reunification, etc., etc..

Basically, college is free for Irish nationals so there's very little reason for students to come to the USA for studies.

In total, you could fit all of these Irish people in a figurative thimble.

The United States does not accept new Irish immigrants.

Ok, do you understand yet or do you want me to type until my fingers start bleeding?

Old 02-04-2016, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Citizenrich - take note. HR has found her "safe space"
lmao of course. Someone who would choose the name "harlem resident" tells me all I need to know about that person.

Most likely from Utah or North Dakota...

Old 02-04-2016, 10:53 AM

74 posts, read 73,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
One more time:

There are literally a few persons from the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland who arrive in the United States each year for reasons such as job assignments (H1-b), some student Visa's and/or family reunification, etc., etc..

Basically, college is free for Irish nationals so there's very little reason for students to come to the USA for studies.

In total, you could fit all of these Irish people in a figurative thimble.

The United States does not accept new Irish immigrants.

Ok, do you understand yet or do you want me to type until my fingers start bleeding?
I'm sincerely perplexed by this.

Ireland is part of the EU and all EU citizens have the same legal rights. EU citizens can emigrate to the US (I happen to have an EU passport and a Green Card too).

Also why does the US Embassy in Dublin have an "Immigrant Visa office" and provides relevant information?

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html

Let alone never mentioning anything about "US not accepting Irish"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City