Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,018,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenrich View Post
lmao of course. Someone who would choose the name "harlem resident" tells me all i need to know about that person.

most likely from utah or north dakota...
LOL Good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 11:53 AM

415 posts, read 515,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyaG View Post
I'm sincerely perplexed by this.

Ireland is part of the EU and all EU citizens have the same legal rights. EU citizens can emigrate to the US (I happen to have an EU passport and a Green Card too).

Also why does the US Embassy in Dublin have an "Immigrant Visa office" and provides relevant information?

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html

Let alone never mentioning anything about "US not accepting Irish"....

I'm sorry you're so perplexed.

From 1960 to 2014 there were a TOTAL OF 125,000 LEGAL IRISH IMMIGRANTS TO THE UNITED STATES *

That works out to roughly 2000 per year. The roughly 2000 per year consist of persons already listed 14 times by me in this thread.

The United States government wants to weave a beautiful mosaic of the third world + defacto Central and South American slave labor + Indian HTML programmers who will work for 20 bucks an hour for contract work.

The United States doesn't want or need anymore Irish immigrants. That ended over 50 years ago.

* Source: Migration Policy Institute (MPI) tabulation of data from the U.S. Census Bureau, 2014 ACS.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 PM

74 posts, read 72,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
I'm sorry you're so perplexed.

From 1960 to 2014 there were a TOTAL OF 125,000 LEGAL IRISH IMMIGRANTS TO THE UNITED STATES *

That works out to roughly 2000 per year. The roughly 2000 per year consist of persons already listed 14 times by me in this thread.

The United States government wants to weave a beautiful mosaic of the third world + defacto Central and South American slave labor + Indian HTML programmers who will work for 20 bucks an hour for contract work.

The United States doesn't want or need anymore Irish immigrants. That ended over 50 years ago.

* Source: Migration Policy Institute (MPI) tabulation of data from the U.S. Census Bureau, 2014 ACS.
Maybe I should drop this since it's clearly out of the topic of the thread....
But even if what you're saying is right, that doesn't mean that the US government can exclude citizens from the Republic of Ireland from its immigration regulations because "it wants to", particularly given the EU complications I pointed out.

And I have seen no evidence that it has done anything like this. Do you have any on hand??

Old 02-04-2016, 03:10 PM

31,975 posts, read 27,118,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyaG View Post
Maybe I should drop this since it's clearly out of the topic of the thread....
But even if what you're saying is right, that doesn't mean that the US government can exclude citizens from the Republic of Ireland from its immigration regulations because "it wants to", particularly given the EU complications I pointed out.

And I have seen no evidence that it has done anything like this. Do you have any on hand??

Immigration from Ireland as with other European countries was vastly affected by the Kennedy immigration laws ( Hart-Celler Immigration Bill ).

Prior to 1965 the Irish like rest of Europeans made up a bulk of those immigrating to the USA; in the years that followed focus shifted to Latin America and Asia.

Ted Kennedy like the rest supporting the bill went on about how it would *NOT* change the racial make-up/demographics of the United States; which was and is rubbish. In fact so dire were the Irish effected that Kennedy had to back track and get the Irish visa program set-up to somewhat lessen the harm done.

Three Decades of Mass Immigration: The Legacy of the 1965 Immigration Act | Center for Immigration Studies

In the 1970's through 1980's or 1990's you still had a good number of "illegal" Irish immigrants in the USA. Most of these were persons who came on tourist or other visas and never left (visa over-stays). Here in NYC it was common enough that there was a surplus of Irish au pairs/nannies that they were a common sight in many parts of Manhattan. Once here these Irish just like others today schemed and plotted to become permanent residents/citizens usually by marriage or finding an employer to willing to sponsor.

Prior to 9/11/01 it was somewhat easy for all visa over-stays to leave the USA and return; after that event and laws were changed/things tightened up including restrictions for returning many Irish had decisions to make.

Happily the 1990's was the era of the Celtic Tiger Irish economy which was booming. So many Irish "illegals" packed up and went home as conditions economically were better than much of the USA. Now however getting back to the USA legally or not is a major hassle, so there you are.

There are still plenty if recent Irish in NYC. I was walking down Third Avenue just the other day behind a construction worker speaking into his phone with the most lovely brogue. Later walking along Park Avenue came upon several groups of Irish construction workers (again lovely brogue speaking voices) making their way south. Am guessing in both cases the men were heading to GCT to catch Metro North.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,942,668 times
Another ignore added ! Love that function.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:51 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,942,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

There are still plenty if recent Irish in NYC.
Agree, many getting hired in academic positions - real ones, not the took-an-online-class-I-am-a-"teacher" baloney. Do not know why this would have risen lately, perhaps Irish economic challenges, but it has.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:15 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,639,955 times
Delete. See previous post.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:16 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,639,955 times
Delete. Wrong thread. Sorry.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,557,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post

EVERY day enroute to work I pass through Woodlawn. EVERYDAY I hear Irish accents. In fact US immigration even started the lottery system, as a way of making it easier for those from Ireland who wish to migrate to the USA.

Given that the Irish, as EU citizens, have FREE access to the UK, Germany and other rich members of that group of nations, why should they bother with the USA?

They leave that to poor Hondurans, fleeing gang violence in that nation, and bounty hunters, Klansmen and Trump supporters, once the arrive in the USA.

The Irish could come in the same as the Indians, but why should they when they can do better in the EU?

Old 02-15-2016, 05:36 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,557,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Happily the 1990's was the era of the Celtic Tiger Irish economy which was booming. .

Which is why they no longer come to the USA.

We must shed a tear for the illegal Irish, and not the illegal Mexican. Those from Ireland, who wish to migrate to the USA, gave far more LEGAL options than do those from Mexico.

This is just as hypocritical as the fact that todays heroin addicts are suddenly "sick people in need of our help" yet little black boys with a stick of weed are automatically criminals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City