Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 03:54 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times

Advertisements

Brought to you by the Staten Island Advance!

Where are Staten Island's poorest enclaves? | SILive.com

Staten Island's 7 wealthiest enclaves: No. 1 may surprise you | SILive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 10:35 PM

19,033 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Separate works fine for me.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:25 AM

Found it interesting that the area of "poverty" in Manor Heights now runs from basically the SIE south to Ocean Terrance and from Todt Hill to Manor Road. This can only mean the Todt Hill Houses (once a bastion of middle and working class families) has not only become a center of poverty but dragged down the entire area as well.

That is a shame because previously only the THH were a "problem" (if that) but the surrounding areas going up past Fazino's was still middle class or better. Never thought any part of Ocean Terrance would be in those numbers.

As for the wealthy part, nothing surprising, well not at least to those who truly know the Rock. Have been saying for years areas of West Brighton are just as good or better than Todt or Emerson Hill. Nice solid middle to upper class households in stable areas. Nice properties that people keep up, good schools and a quality stock of good older homes that beat the pants off the track/townhouse rubbish else where.

But no, people won't live north of the SIE, or at least not below Victory Blvd.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:35 AM

320 posts, read 283,114 times
The rich most likely will move to the north shore to get a smug view of mother Manhattan and the poor are pricing the other refugees out of the port authority, penn station, the subways, etc. Staten Island needs better public transportation properties if it wants to compete with the other boroughs for who has the finest quality of homeless. Its homeless economics 101. Whoever has the biggest shopping cart holds the most useless ****. Although I do support them in their god given right to live on the street where the tyrannical governor wants to take away their rights this winter. Yes, I support them in the Ghandi-esque insurgency.

Last edited by Spodi90; 01-04-2016 at 07:09 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodi90 View Post
The rich most likely will move to the north shore to get a smug view of mother Manhattan and the poor are pricing the other refugees out of the port authority, penn station, the subways, etc. Staten Island needs better public transportation properties if it wants to compete with the other boroughs for who has the finest quality of homeless. Its homeless economics 101. Whoever has the biggest shopping cart holds the most useles ****. Although I do support them in their god given right to live on the street where the tyrannical governor wants to take away their rights this winter.

For the areas mentioned on the North Shore as being "wealthy" views of Manhattan vary from nil to none.

South of Forest Avenue indeed really starting south of Henderson in many parts of West Brighton from Broadway east rises to hills. So the closer you get to Silver Lake depending upon what is around you and how high (second floor, attic, etc..), yes you can see Manhattan.

Other than that you'd have to live near Richmond Terrance. You notice Saint George area which has killer views of Manhattan was not on the "wealthy" list.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:11 AM

320 posts, read 283,114 times
Do douchey developers plan on renaming silver lake golden lake of even diamond ponds? As they will with the piano district of #sobro?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodi90 View Post
Do douchey developers plan on renaming silver lake golden lake of even diamond ponds? As they will with the piano district of #sobro?

*LOL*

You is crazy!

Silver Lake besides the name of a park is tied to the area and many things around it, no one is changing anything. It carries enough "cachet" already for those who know the place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver..._Staten_Island

Take the $.50 tour: GRYMES HILL to CLOVE LAKES, Staten Island | | Forgotten New YorkForgotten New York

Old 01-04-2016, 07:30 PM

34,027 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Found it interesting that the area of "poverty" in Manor Heights now runs from basically the SIE south to Ocean Terrance and from Todt Hill to Manor Road. This can only mean the Todt Hill Houses (once a bastion of middle and working class families) has not only become a center of poverty but dragged down the entire area as well.
I took a "walk" on La Guardia Avenue going south from Todt Hill Houses on Google Street Views. The neighborhood looked clean and well-kept. Whoever lives there appears to be keeping up their properties. I'm just curious as how this reflects against this census report. Does anybody have more information about the area? Is it bad aside from THH? I know looks can be deceiving, but I am especially curious because Manor Road is a part of Staten Island I've never been to. I don't even think I've ever been south of the Expressway in my life. I know that in Manhattan and Brooklyn for example you have million dollar properties right next to NYCHA, but further out in the boroughs, there is less density so the "change" in the neighborhood is way more pronounced. For example, if I happened to be walking on La Guardia Avenue from Ocean Terrace north, I don't think I would be even able to tell that there was a decent-sized housing project nearby.

If you do a Google Street Views walk around South Jamaica Houses, the neighborhood immediately surrounding it looks pretty run-down. You can tell that "you're in the hood now." And there's mostly 1 and 2 family houses around SJH, and a couple of small apartment buildings around Guy Brewer. But if THH worsened over the years, what was the effect of the surrounding neighborhood? It's not even visible from Google Street Views. Is there a particular intersection near THH that mirrors the effect of living near a problematic NYCHA? I chose La Guardia Avenue because of you mentioning that you were suprised the tract extended down to Ocean Terrace. I will keep searching in the meantime.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-05-2016, 06:44 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,571,815 times
I have an aunt who lives in Tottenville and it seems like a really nice middle-upper class neighborhood.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I took a "walk" on La Guardia Avenue going south from Todt Hill Houses on Google Street Views. The neighborhood looked clean and well-kept. Whoever lives there appears to be keeping up their properties. I'm just curious as how this reflects against this census report. Does anybody have more information about the area? Is it bad aside from THH? I know looks can be deceiving, but I am especially curious because Manor Road is a part of Staten Island I've never been to. I don't even think I've ever been south of the Expressway in my life. I know that in Manhattan and Brooklyn for example you have million dollar properties right next to NYCHA, but further out in the boroughs, there is less density so the "change" in the neighborhood is way more pronounced. For example, if I happened to be walking on La Guardia Avenue from Ocean Terrace north, I don't think I would be even able to tell that there was a decent-sized housing project nearby.

If you do a Google Street Views walk around South Jamaica Houses, the neighborhood immediately surrounding it looks pretty run-down. You can tell that "you're in the hood now." And there's mostly 1 and 2 family houses around SJH, and a couple of small apartment buildings around Guy Brewer. But if THH worsened over the years, what was the effect of the surrounding neighborhood? It's not even visible from Google Street Views. Is there a particular intersection near THH that mirrors the effect of living near a problematic NYCHA? I chose La Guardia Avenue because of you mentioning that you were suprised the tract extended down to Ocean Terrace. I will keep searching in the meantime.

Haha!

Much of the housing on La Guardia to Todt Hill Road and from Schmidt's Lane to Ocean Terrance is new; built in the 1970's or later (thanks VZB).

Grew up in that area and know it well, in fact was up there just a few weeks ago for the Holiday.

What is bringing the median down for census tract 173 is Todt Hill Houses. That block along with bits across on Westwood are where the trouble starts (often literally). Once you reach and pass La Guardia going towards THR and beyond things are fine.
Census Tract, Census Tract 173, Richmond County, New York

However being as that may things are *going* on up there. A house recently sold on La Guardia Avenue a few blocks up from Westwood for about $155K, that is dirt cheap for Todt Hill/Emerson Hill. Something went on there: 154 Laguardia Ave, Staten Island, NY 10314 | Zillow

And now you know.... http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...ured_batt.html

Going south on THR towards Ocean Terrance and up Manor Road towards Susan Wagner, again things have changed since my day.

Just as elsewhere on the Rock nice single family homes were torn down to build (over priced) tract housing/town houses. Other demographic changes in the various patterns including socio-economic make up of the place have affected things as well.

What kills me is real estate persons/sites call that part of LaGuardia Avenue "Emerson Hill" which is total BS. If the Todt Hill Projects are in Castleton Corners (or Manor Heights as some now call the area), how can a house just one block up and away be on "Emerson Hill"?

Last edited by BugsyPal; 01-05-2016 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: