Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:23 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I don't know. Thought you said you didn't want ENY to become bland and boring.
I meant New York overall/generally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 07:54 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Gentrification is race motivated because white frat boy is too afraid to have an African-American or Mexican-American neighbor.

10-20 years ago these gentrifiers would be scared too death to live where they are living now.

Gentrifiers are hipster sissies who are gutless because someone else had to make the changes for them before they moved in.

Being a New Yorker used to mean something, it was punk rock and cool, we had CBGB's, the old Yankee Stadium, hot dog carts, grit, Brooklyn Banks, New York Hardcore Music, thrash metal band Anthrax, some of the greatest food on the planet.

You people came to my home state and totally destroyed a city that was vibrant with muscians, writers and editors, artists, skilled craftsmen union workers, builders, creators, and dreamers.

For the love of god Olive Garden isnt even real Italian food, so why gentrify it with garbage you can find anywhere? Starbucks, Whole Foods, its all just trends that eventually fall out of fashion.
The only color that matters when it comes to gentrification is Green. I wish we could move away from everything being about race.

For the bold statement, that's a shame and it's nothing to be proud of. Hell, even current residents in impoverished neighborhoods are scared to death within their own communities, including me. I personally would like to see my own community gentrify, but I'm more than likely going to move out of this dump before that ever happens. (if it's even possible)

It's fascinating how able-bodied people cry and moan about the gentry train. Instead of harping on about how Sarah or Dylan is spoiled with daddies money, how about realizing that popping about a bunch of kids with only a HS diploma isn't such a bad idea, and getting back into school to better them-self?

I'll gladly accept the Starbucks, clean streets, Whole-Foods, hipster mobs everywhere over the **** smells, trash on the floor, inconsiderate neighbors who stand outside all day and blast rap music in the summer, and groups of teens waiting by the train station asking "yo, you from round here?"

Old 01-09-2016, 07:59 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Well it IS going to be a ridiculous commute when Molly opens up her Yoga studio and Josh opens up his craft beer bar in the heart of ENY. Why is this so hard to comprehend?
It takes about 30 mins to get Wall Street and I live in Brownsville. Add another 5-10 mins in for ENY give or take.

Do you live in Eastern Brooklyn? There seems to be alot of people on this board who thinks it's so 'far out' but don't commute to/from here daily, it's very funny actually.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Gentrification is race motivated because white frat boy is too afraid to have an African-American or Mexican-American neighbor.

10-20 years ago these gentrifiers would be scared too death to live where they are living now.

Gentrifiers are hipster sissies who are gutless because someone else had to make the changes for them before they moved in.

Being a New Yorker used to mean something, it was punk rock and cool, we had CBGB's, the old Yankee Stadium, hot dog carts, grit, Brooklyn Banks, New York Hardcore Music, thrash metal band Anthrax, some of the greatest food on the planet.

You people came to my home state and totally destroyed a city that was vibrant with muscians, writers and editors, artists, skilled craftsmen union workers, builders, creators, and dreamers.

For the love of god Olive Garden isnt even real Italian food, so why gentrify it with garbage you can find anywhere? Starbucks, Whole Foods, its all just trends that eventually fall out of fashion.
Black people are comparatively new to NYC and didn't move here until grade numbers until the 20th century. Most Black Southerners came post ww2, and the immigrant Blacks started moving to NYC in the 1960s.

In short NYC is not a Black created city, it is WHITE created and so who are you leftists to say WHITES cannot live ANYWHERE in NYC?

NYC's poor classes were never tough. The military and cops could exterminate them with EASE. Now that I advocate that, but look what happened with GHETTO liquidation in Europe (Nazism).

In fact NYC's poor classes were only held together by Lyndon Johnson's antipoverty programs.

Aged addicts with little to no jobs skills or money whine for the day of cheap crumbling buildings. That's all the above post is.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
The only color that matters when it comes to gentrification is Green. I wish we could move away from everything being about race.

For the bold statement, that's a shame and it's nothing to be proud of. Hell, even current residents in impoverished neighborhoods are scared to death within their own communities, including me. I personally would like to see my own community gentrify, but I'm more than likely going to move out of this dump before that ever happens. (if it's even possible)

It's fascinating how able-bodied people cry and moan about the gentry train. Instead of harping on about how Sarah or Dylan is spoiled with daddies money, how about realizing that popping about a bunch of kids with only a HS diploma isn't such a bad idea, and getting back into school to better them-self?

I'll gladly accept the Starbucks, clean streets, Whole-Foods, hipster mobs everywhere over the **** smells, trash on the floor, inconsiderate neighbors who stand outside all day and blast rap music in the summer, and groups of teens waiting by the train station asking "yo, you from round here?"
During any topic about gentrification, crime rates, the leeching welfare hippos that people hate, "ghetto people", or policing you can expect race or black people to be mentioned.

Inequality does exist and that is fact. Unfortunately.

Also, not everyone in East New York is not a criminal, on welfare, looks down on education, or has kids they can't afford.

Some people are not viewed as fully human. Unfortunately.

And that is the problem.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Another huge problem is that almost every major city in America now is a wannabe-NYC. It's SO generic and homogenous, and there seems to be a love affair with that generica. It's creepy. Local culture definitely doesn't exist anymore. But now what? Everyone wants the same bland urban expensive experience. Suburbia and ruralia (is that a word?) is starting to look more and more pleasing by the day.
Local culture I think does exist.

Culture doesn't just disappear or go away.

People adapt to certain circumstances or create new ways to deal with them effectively.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
During any topic about gentrification, crime rates, the leeching welfare hippos that people hate, "ghetto people", or policing you can expect race or black people to be mentioned.

Inequality does exist and that is fact. Unfortunately.

Also, not everyone in East New York is not a criminal, on welfare, looks down on education, or has kids they can't afford.

Some people are not viewed as fully human. Unfortunately.

And that is the problem.
No one is saying everyone in ENY is a criminal, on welfare, etc. But the neighborhood is an extremely impoverished neighborhood that the city used as a dumping ground for welfare types. Now that housing is in short supply for the working and middle classes, they can no longer afford to use this neighborhood as a dumping ground.

The stereotypes you mention about Black people can and would be mitigated by socioeconomic mobility. If there are barriers to moving up because of racism or other causes, they need to be addressed. Accepting the status quo is just not going to help the cause. If the people in ENY cannot move up socioeconomically they are DONE for.

And let's be honest the Black population of Brooklyn is DECLINING precisely for those reasons. Low levels of homeownership or the ownership of any assets, disproportionately rock bottom jobs (if any jobs), etc. People accepted this, and when they let those government programs (including rent regulation takeover) they played themselves.

And no I'm not claiming that every single Black person in Brooklyn was poor or uneducated. But the economic base of that population was simply too weak to sustain anything. If the economic base were stronger people would not fear gentrification or displacement as they would be able to compete with educated and affluent Whites and Asians.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Keep in mind East New York was white and at least working class till the 1950s. Just as they left they can come back and and they are coming back in.

The whites moving to ENY will be the ones squeezed out of Bushwick, who were squeezed out of Williamsburg, and before that out of the LES.

If some one doesn't see something weird about this, and the fact that we might be creating a real estate bubble, what can I say. At some point NYC will price itself out of existence.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:00 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
! Yes, it's sad that I am xenophobic of these rich pricks. ::tiny violins::

How many of them are really rich? We are due a recession, and if it comes, it will not be pretty for NYC. So where will all of these folks live when suddenly $3k/1BR becomes unaffordable?

Old 01-09-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No one is saying everyone in ENY is a criminal, on welfare, etc. But the neighborhood is an extremely impoverished neighborhood that the city used as a dumping ground for welfare types. Now that housing is in short supply for the working and middle classes, they can no longer afford to use this neighborhood as a dumping ground.

The stereotypes you mention about Black people can and would be mitigated by socioeconomic mobility. If there are barriers to moving up because of racism or other causes, they need to be addressed. Accepting the status quo is just not going to help the cause. If the people in ENY cannot move up socioeconomically they are DONE for.

And let's be honest the Black population of Brooklyn is DECLINING precisely for those reasons. Low levels of homeownership or the ownership of any assets, disproportionately rock bottom jobs (if any jobs), etc. People accepted this, and when they let those government programs (including rent regulation takeover) they played themselves.

And no I'm not claiming that every single Black person in Brooklyn was poor or uneducated. But the economic base of that population was simply too weak to sustain anything. If the economic base were stronger people would not fear gentrification or displacement as they would be able to compete with educated and affluent Whites and Asians.
The poster asked why is everything about race and I gave an explanation.

I didn't say that you said that every black person in East New York fit those descriptions, but many people sure do act like. I think we can tell from reading the posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City