Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:14 AM

12 posts, read 15,061 times

Advertisements

Hello All

My girlfriend just recently took a job in Manhattan and I myself am also closing in on a job there. We are looking to move from Central Jersey to the NY area in June. Manhattan is a bit out of our range at the moment and Queens the commute is to far it would be like staying in New Jersey. So we are looking for advice on some good areas in Brooklyn that are relatively safe, have a good school system as she has a son in high school. The commute is not toooo far from Manhattan. We looking for an area filled with lots of young business type professionals. We are both in our mid to late 30's. We just need a two bedroom apartment. Furnished or not does not matter. We have been told about an area called Green Pointe? With apartments for two bedrooms around $1400 to $1700 which would be about our range. Does anyone recommend any areas to look or places in particular. Or even the best ways to search as well. Like what papers you recommend we look in? and such

Thank you in Advance, James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 11:08 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Queens might be just as close depending on what part of Manhattan you work in. It would definitely be closer to Manhattan than Jersey if you live in Central Jersey.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:13 PM

555 posts, read 617,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabruno27 View Post
Hello All

My girlfriend just recently took a job in Manhattan and I myself am also closing in on a job there. We are looking to move from Central Jersey to the NY area in June. Manhattan is a bit out of our range at the moment and Queens the commute is to far it would be like staying in New Jersey. So we are looking for advice on some good areas in Brooklyn that are relatively safe, have a good school system as she has a son in high school. The commute is not toooo far from Manhattan. We looking for an area filled with lots of young business type professionals. We are both in our mid to late 30's. We just need a two bedroom apartment. Furnished or not does not matter. We have been told about an area called Green Pointe? With apartments for two bedrooms around $1400 to $1700 which would be about our range. Does anyone recommend any areas to look or places in particular. Or even the best ways to search as well. Like what papers you recommend we look in? and such

a 2bd in BK at that price is going to be in the ghetto, and farrr from manhattan.

You're better off in queens, but even then 1700 for a 2bed is going to be very limiting. there are nice areas in queens close to manhattan like Forest hills, Jackson Heights, Woodside...sunnyside... but finding a 2 bed in those areas for 1700 is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible.

bottom line is you are probably not going to find a yuppie neighborhood in that price range.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Queens might be just as close depending on what part of Manhattan you work in. It would definitely be closer to Manhattan than Jersey if you live in Central Jersey.

She is down town in the wall street area, which I am more worried about her being closer then I am.

She also heard good news about school systems in some Brooklyn area?

Old 02-16-2016, 08:44 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
I'm not sure that school districts actually matter all that much these days as it pertains to high school kids. Anyway, your budget is too low if you want to live close to Wall st in a safe area. You'll need to either increase the rent or the commute time. You can find 2 bedroom apartments in Ridgewood Queens for 1700, but the commute will be around 40 minutes. I doubt you'll find anything within budget in Greenpoint. Maybe Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, or Sheepshead Bay? These areas should also be about 40 minutes to Wall st, just hope you don't end up working anywhere north of that.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I doubt you'll find anything within budget in Greenpoint.
A 2 bedroom in Greenpoint is in the $3000 and up range. Possibly could be less if in the far-from-the-train areas of Greenpoint, but not much less. Studios are $2000 and one bedrooms are $2700+. That's just a general idea.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:52 AM

337 posts, read 424,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Green point ain't that cheap unless it's a tiny tiny place. Set your sights on Harlem or queens. You can live in Bensonhurst, bath beach, bay ridge, marine park, mid wood which are safe but about an hour away from city of you want safe "affordable" Brooklyn. Other then that greenpoint won't happen, not for $1700. Maybe over 2000. Look into ridgewood

Old 02-17-2016, 06:09 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynorbust View Post
Green point ain't that cheap unless it's a tiny tiny place. Set your sights on Harlem or queens. You can live in Bensonhurst, bath beach, bay ridge, marine park, mid wood which are safe but about an hour away from city of you want safe "affordable" Brooklyn. Other then that greenpoint won't happen, not for $1700. Maybe over 2000. Look into ridgewood
You can easily get to Manhattan from Bensonhurst/Bay Ridge, especially if you are talking midtown and below, in under an hour.

OP, neighborhoods do not matter in HS. There is no "neighborhood HS" anymore, so don't let that sway your decision.

In the neighborhoods listed above, you can find a two bedroom for under 2K.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:33 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabruno27 View Post
Hello All

I'd look into Maspeth, Queens. The area is working/middle class Polish/Hispanic/Italian and the rents there depending on where you look are within your price range. You'd be right in the middle of the Ridgewood/Bushwick area and East Williamsburg and if you stay close to grand or metropolitan ave (not too close, $$$), you'll have access to bus service that'll take you directly to the L train which you can then transfer over to the 4/5 on union square and it's 3 stops to wall st. It's not a bad commute at all, it's just crowded... I definitely recommend looking into this option. Best of luck.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:38 AM

How is the Harlem and West Harlem areas as far as crime? Is that safe these days? And from Harlem how long is the bus ride or commute to Wall Street area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City